Pole rig line ?

david white

Site Supporter
Although I have a few light pole rigs already ( matching my old canal / silvers type pole ) I’ve just acquired a more ‘ all rounder ‘ type pole which I hope to become more proficient with
This pole comes with various top kits rated up to 16 elastic
My question is what type of line does one use on various rigs ( I’ve use 2 or 2.5 maxima on my light silvers rigs and varied the hook link to suit the hook size and bait in use )
All advice most welcome
Intended use of pole larger silvers, bream, perch and tench ( would expect the odd carp maybe up to 10lb to muscle in but fishing for them intentionally ) maybe the odd deep river session mainly dace and roach possibility of a decent bream perch or chub

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
the popular ones are Guru N Gauge, Preston reflo power or preston accu. I have used all and they do the job but personally prefer n gauge.

I also still use silstar match team for my natural silvers rigs, I feel it is just a little more supple......

Trent_Fisher

Tie all my silvers rigs to 0.15 N-Gage and all my commercial carp rigs to 0.17 N-Gage, sometimes to 0.19 on my margin rigs. Just alter the hooklength accordingly for whatever you are fishing for.

Hooklengths are anything from 0.10 to 0.17 depending on the rig, hook sizes from 12 to 20.

Last edited:

david white

Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies thus far
I’m reading that lines in the 0.14 for winter/ silver rigs and 0.19 for summer or general use
So my next question is
I’ve only used elastic to max 8 in my old pole ( 4 or 6 solid is the norm ) so I’m guessing that would suit 0.14
and the 0.19 would be ok on 8 to 14 ( 16 ) elastic

Pyffy

Site Supporter
During the first lock down whilst on furlough, I decided along with many other anglers, to set about retying all my pole rigs. I was ordering a few other bits and pieces from Bristol Angling and there was a distinct lack of suitable lines available at that particular moment. As they had it in stock I bought 2 spools of Maver MV-R rig line to give it a whirl in 0.18 and 0.14mm to use on our club snake lake for my silvers and carp rigs and 0.12mm for use on my river silver rigs. As I only pleasure fish once a week I realise my kit isn't under as much pressure as the guys fishing matches 3 to 4 times a week, however the line seems quite robust and so far the only rigs that have failed me are the ones I've snaffued with my ham fisted angling.

IanG1

Site Supporter
So my next question is
I’ve only used elastic to max 8 in my old pole ( 4 or 6 solid is the norm ) so I’m guessing that would suit 0.14
and the 0.19 would be ok on 8 to 14 ( 16 ) elastic
Pretty much mate, I tie all my silvers rigs to 014, my river rigs to 016 and anything for carp to 018 and 020 in snag pits. Hooklengths are balanced down from main line 1 to 2 thickness down if that makes sense.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Although I have a few light pole rigs already ( matching my old canal / silvers type pole ) I’ve just acquired a more ‘ all rounder ‘ type pole which I hope to become more proficient with
This pole comes with various top kits rated up to 16 elastic
My question is what type of line does one use on various rigs ( I’ve use 2 or 2.5 maxima on my light silvers rigs and varied the hook link to suit the hook size and bait in use )
All advice most welcome
Intended use of pole larger silvers, bream, perch and tench ( would expect the odd carp maybe up to 10lb to muscle in but fishing for them intentionally ) maybe the odd deep river session mainly dace and roach possibility of a decent bream perch or chub
Reflo,accu,or middy low viz

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Before choosing a Brand of line I think it is worth talking about the two types of line available.

Maxima is a traditional nylon mono. Mainly now used as a reel line or where a robust hooklength is required and diameter not an issue.

Lines used in pole fishing tend to be pre stretched or "high tech". They are thinner for the same breaking strain as Maxima and similar monos. The trade off is that they are more brittle with less stretch. It is the elastic in the pole that protects the line from breaking under sudden shock loading.

I think all the brands mentioned are "high tech" and thus suitable for the pole. After that it is personal choice of brand and diameters/breaking strain.

Two things to remember. First is that fish cannot apply their body weight when swimming away from you. That is why we can land fish that are heavier than the BS of the line used. Second is a rough rule of thumb for solid elastics that the elastic number is twice the maximum BS of line it should be paired with. That may not be true though with hollows and pullers. I'm not sure of that.

Every brand of line has its advocates. I use Reflo Power purely because it's what my local shop sells. Rig line diameters? Canals 0.11, commercials 0.13 Winter, 0.17 Summer.

david white

Site Supporter
Before choosing a Brand of line I think it is worth talking about the two types of line available.

Maxima is a traditional nylon mono. Mainly now used as a reel line or where a robust hooklength is required and diameter not an issue.

Lines used in pole fishing tend to be pre stretched or "high tech". They are thinner for the same breaking strain as Maxima and similar monos. The trade off is that they are more brittle with less stretch. It is the elastic in the pole that protects the line from breaking under sudden shock loading.

I think all the brands mentioned are "high tech" and thus suitable for the pole. After that it is personal choice of brand and diameters/breaking strain.

Two things to remember. First is that fish cannot apply their body weight when swimming away from you. That is why we can land fish that are heavier than the BS of the line used. Second is a rough rule of thumb for solid elastics that the elastic number is twice the maximum BS of line it should be paired with. That may not be true though with hollows and pullers. I'm not sure of that.

Every brand of line has its advocates. I use Reflo Power purely because it's what my local shop sells. Rig line diameters? Canals 0.11, commercials 0.13 Winter, 0.17 Summer.
Superb summary and highly logical ( when one knows or has the basics / principles explained or the old grey matter unscrambled )
Thanks so much for taking the time much appreciated

SeanB

Site Supporter
Just out of curiosity, when Preston line is mentioned it's usually either Reflo Power or Accu Power, but where does Precision Power fit in? Like Neil, I use this because it's what the shop sells. I've never measured it but its never let me down and work on the principle that 0.15 is stronger than 0.13 etc.
Genuinely interested in people's thoughts 🙂

Blanks

Site Supporter
The old rule was breaking strain of line between half and a fifth of elastic size, ie No10 elastic you can use line strength between 2 and 5 pounds. These would be the extremes and apply to solid elastic ie preston original slip.
I favour Preston power line for rigs and also hooklengths on commercials, never had a bad batch or been let down.