POLE RESTRICTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris w

pc problem solver
i have recently read that all matches under the N.A.A rules are to be fished with a pole length of no more than 13.5 mtrs(except fish o mania unfortunately)

do you therefor think that all matches should follow this guidance line and thus making it a farer match and not just down to who can afford the most parallel extensions

iam sure that if more matches were to be fished under this rule
it would allow us anglers to become more adapt at fishing the waggler at distance

what are your thoughts on this

Last edited:

JOHN_M

I've fished matches where poles aren't allowed, to me, either you can fish a pole, or you can't, irrespective of the length.

chris w

pc problem solver
JOHN M i dont think that is the issue on weather you can fish a pole
i believe its more down to having a level playing field and a standard set of rules and regulations

Last edited:

hempy

Alan
I would second John on this....Also having a 13.5 restriction would favour those with a peg of that width whilst some pegs on the same match could be 16 metres wide...No i agree with John...pole or no pole irrespective of length.

JOHN_M

If you had a 13.5mtr pole length restriction there will always be someone with an 8 or 10mtr pole. Take the poles away and what more level playing field can you have.

chris w

pc problem solver
Originally posted by JOHN_M

If you had a 13.5mtr pole length restriction there will always be someone with an 8 or 10mtr pole. Take the poles away and what more level playing field can you have.

fair point but a 13.5 mtr pole is well within the reach of all anglers
but yes pole only or tip or waggler only matches would level the field

JOHN_M

There is a match fishing venue local to me where poles are banned in certain pegs because of overhead cables. I won't book this venue because there will always someone who will moan that they have drawn a pole banned peg who wanted to fish the pole. The last thing I want on a Sunday morning is members moaning about what peg they have drawn and the restrictions on individual pegs.

midge99

For the last 7 years I have fished loads of disabled matches where the is a restriction on pole lengths.

to start it was 11.5m for all matches now our club has a 13mtr restriction in line with the NFA and the UKDMFC still use the 11.5mtr length.

the problem is it is always open to cheating with short sections insert into poles etc.

Zebedee

Originally posted by JOHN_M

There is a match fishing venue local to me where poles are banned in certain pegs because of overhead cables. I won't book this venue because there will always someone who will moan that they have drawn a pole banned peg who wanted to fish the pole. The last thing I want on a Sunday morning is members moaning about what peg they have drawn and the restrictions on individual pegs.

its understandable people moaning if some of the pegs have a 'no pole' handicap.

if poles are allowed in a match,then those pegs should be deemed unfishable and left out of the draw bag. IMO

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Is it 13.5 to accomodate half metre reinforced butt sections (biconical extensions in maver-speak?

missabite

Originally posted by chris w

do you there for think that all matches should follow this guidance line and thus making it a farer match and not just down to who can afford the mos parallel extensions

it would allow us anglers to become more adapt at fishing the waggler at distance

I think it has got to a stage where pole limit rules need to be enforced everywhere. At some venues attendances are dropping due to people fishing at 16 meters+. It would be good to see more people fishing a rod.

I was fishing by someone the other week who was fishing 19 meters to an island. I could almost sense him thinking 'hey look at me, i can fish 19 meters'. I'm thinking 'yeah, but you can't ship it in and out without it being in the water and scaring off every fish around us , you stupid ****er'.

Last edited:

hempy

Alan
Originally posted by Looney

Is it 13.5 to accomodate half metre reinforced butt sections (biconical extensions in maver-speak?

The maver competition poles are 13 mtr WITH the biconical extentions fitted

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Originally posted by hempy

The maver competition poles are 13 mtr WITH the biconical extentions fitted

Yup, mine is [:)] I wonder if the quoted weights include the extensions weight, as they should. By thats off-topic...

thetraveller

Originally posted by missabite

Originally posted by chris w

do you there for think that all matches should follow this guidance line and thus making it a farer match and not just down to who can afford the mos parallel extensions

I think it has got to a stage where pole limit rules need to be enforced everywhere. At some venues attendances are dropping due to people fishing at 16 meters+. It would be good to see more people fishing a rod.

I was fishing by someone the other week who was fishing 19 meters to an island. I could almost sense him thinking 'hey look at me, i can fish 19 meters'. I'm thinking 'yeah, but you can't ship it in and out without it being in the water and scaring off every fish around us , you stupid ****er'.

I drew next to a top name at Whiteacres and he emptied it at 19m on the pole.[:)] The fish didn't seem to mind the odd splash either.

Why should poles be fished to a 13m limit???

Does that mean float rods should all be 12' and the reels only have 30m of line??? That would stop people using better reels that cast better.[}:)][}:)]

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Excuse my ignorance, but is 13.5 metres in line with continental rules ?

thetraveller

Whilst we are on with daft limits. Ban carbon and go back to split cane and bent pins for hooks.

cess monkey

Limiting the length a pole can be fished in a match is a great idea it levels the playing field because most anglers can afford a 13 mtr pole.

Traveller, its not a daft limit its more a chance for people to be able to compete without being restricted by the amount of cash they can throw at the sport.
This is why football teams are restricted to 11 a side instead of being able to field a team of 20 just because they can afford it.

missabite

Originally posted by thetraveller
I drew next to a top name at Whiteacres and he emptied it at 19m on the pole.[:)] The fish didn't seem to mind the odd splash either.

Why should poles be fished to a 13m limit???

Unfortunately the angler by me was not a top name angler and his efforts would of made a cracking comedy DVD.

cess monkeys level playing field is a good enough reason for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.