Pole recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstev

Dave
Hi, I was speaking to a match angler at the weekend regarding poles. He had a Daiwa Connoisseur and a Daiwa Tournament Pro. He let me have a hold of the Connoisseur and I was amazed at how light and stiff it was at 11m. I currently have a Maver Resolution, which is great to about 8m's but gets heavy and droopy over this. I told him I would be looking for a new pole soon and he recommended the Shimano Exage (no particular version). He said for the price (around 500) you certainly can't get a pole that is as light and stiff at full length. He said its probably as good as most 1000+ poles. It is only 14.5m but I don't think I'd ever fish 16m anyway so its great for me.

Does anyone else have any experiences or opinions of this pole? Also what are the major differances between the versions (AX, BX and Pro), is it worth the premium for the Pro? Are there any other recommendations for around the same pricepoint?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Cooky

AX model is now superseded by the BX All-Round.

the Bx comes with 3 x match top 3 kits

the pro comes with 3 x power 2 top kits

so if you want a pole for silvers go the BX All-Round or the pro for carp crunching

adzinderbyshire

the shimano ax has been brought back by shimano at 399, their advert says 'return of the legend for a limited time only'. I had one and my dad bought it off me, had a go on it yesterday at 13m and I had forgot how brilliant it actually is. it is stiff, light and one of the best finishes out. can't go wrong!

Lee999

Leeroy
I've got a Exage AX and can't fault it. I've seen theres a few on ebay for 399, so would have thought there will be a few in the shops too if you don't want to use ebay.

dstev

Dave
Originally posted by Lee999

I've got a Exage AX and can't fault it. I've seen theres a few on ebay for 399, so would have thought there will be a few in the shops too if you don't want to use ebay.

What's it like at 14.5m Lee?

RichTaylor

I have a Diawa G8 Connoisseur and it is a fantastic pole. It is very easy to fish to 14.5m and it also retains its stiffness. It does get a bit of a handfull at 16m. But to be honest how many times do we fish at this length.

I would buy another G8 and I am not sure how much better the new G20 is.

IMO the G8 is just as good as the Arity upto 14.5m.

You won't be dissapointed with the less than 1000 quid price tag too.

I had a Preston GiS12 and the G8 is loads better.

Cooky

Originally posted by RichTaylor

I have a Diawa G8 Connoisseur and it is a fantastic pole. It is very easy to fish to 14.5m and it also retains its stiffness. It does get a bit of a handfull at 16m. But to be honest how many times do we fish at this length.

The G8 is twice the price of the Shimano

pedro1098

Originally posted by RichTaylor

i have the g20,very impressed,i have just bought a short 4 & some new power kits with puller kits (hole) in them,i held the new daiwa tourney & a g20 the other day.the tourney was a bit & i mean a bit lighter,1500 lighter ..no.same applied for the 774.

Lee999

Leeroy
Originally posted by dstev

Originally posted by Lee999

What's it like at 14.5m Lee?

Quite stiff, I've fished at that length for 6 hours ok. Plus you can go to 15m if you put the 1/2 metre extension on (you can also put this on the 13m section to go 13.5m).
I've held a few of my mates expensive poles at full length and couldn't see much difference between them and the Exage to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.