Pole query?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Am I right in thinking generally that all poles are basically the same. Apart from weight, price, and length. In other words you can by almost any pole and use any elastic in it, the pole is essentially a holder for the elastic? Or am I completely wrong? I've tried looking for a modest price pole for smaller species, and simply cannot find one that has an elastic rating less than 18-20. The Browning Silverlite are the only exception I can find. If you want a light pole, you just use a lighter elastic?

Not really

Each pole is made on a different Mandrel.

A map TKS isn't the same as a Daiwa SR for example, despite being around the same price.

Also, youd need to pay attention to the top kit ratings, you get a match kit and put a 20 elastic, that thing will fold quickly.

In terms of the weight, it is subjective. I have a maver 361 and I can use that at 14.5 without any issues at all, but it was 1600 when released.

Did you have a budget in mind, I could try to suggest?

Others will if course help more, but each pole has a different sort of feel to it, if that makes sense.

Dusty

Am I right in thinking generally that all poles are basically the same. Apart from weight, price, and length. In other words you can by almost any pole and use any elastic in it, the pole is essentially a holder for the elastic? Or am I completely wrong? I've tried looking for a modest price pole for smaller species, and simply cannot find one that has an elastic rating less than 18-20. The Browning Silverlite are the only exception I can find. If you want a light pole, you just use a lighter elastic?

Have you had a look at whip systems? You can get them take apart up to reasonable lengths and they are rated to much lighter elastics.

Failing this there aren’t too many out and out light silvers pole about anymore.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Chris thanks. Maybe just a simple 10 meters max. £100 fish for F1 and silvers, I've just brought a margin pole thanks. Richard. Thats a thought Dusty thanks, a whip with elastic, brilliant.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
If fishing for smaller fish you want poles with match kits , and use light elastics .

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Maver do a Reality, I think it takes the place of the Abyss. #Neil of the Nene rates the Abyss very highly, so I would say these would be very similar , 9.5 metres

Chris thanks. Maybe just a simple 10 meters max. £100 fish for F1 and silvers, I've just brought a margin pole thanks. Richard. Thats a thought Dusty thanks, a whip with elastic, brilliant.
Probably want something like a Maver Abyss/Grim Reaper. Would be used conditions for that budget.

Avoid the likes of Avanti/Ron Thompson poles.

Really, I feel theres a definite monopoly, in no real order

Daiwa
Maver
Preston
Sensas
Map

Honorable mention ti browning but seem to be insanely expensive

Facebook marketplace is full of poles

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
As for elastics, since the elastic does the work in playing the fish, and the less a pole top bends the better (it reduces the friction), there's no reason you can't put a light elastic in a pole rated at 18-20. The only slight disadvantage is that the pole will probably take in water when you dip the tip under the surface. But as Chris says, you wouldn't (and couldn't) do it the other way round with an 18 elastic in a match top.

So the elastic rating is a sort of maximum.

The important bit of the pole is how easy it is to hold at the maximum length you are likely to use it at. Also the ease with which you can take it apart when landing a fish. Most poles are 'put over' - you put (say) the Number Three over the Number Four (or put the No 4 inside the No 3). Some poles are 'put in' (Number 3 goes inside the No 4) - these are very light, and slimmer than most Put-Overs, but they are more difficult to assemble and take apart, and they tend to be floppier. But they are a LOT lighter. There aren't many on the market now. I love my 12 metre Browning Sting, which is a Put-in, but normally use my Put-Over because I can use it up to 16 metres.

As has been posted, the cheaper Mavers are a good starting point.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Gozzer. Thanks just what I thought. Also i did not get the match top kit bit, but do now, thanks well explained mate.