pole protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Well, i've finally got myself sorted out with a new stick of carbon and have gone for an sc1. I'm going to get some preston joint save to protect the joints, but was wondering if anyone has got any other tips on how to protect/prolong the life of my new investment?
Looking forward to giving it a good working out at castle ashby thumbsup.gif
tight lines people[:D][:D]

HEY DUDE............
afro.gif

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A good pole roller and stay away from canal towpaths matt

Dave

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Using a normal household candle. Rub it on to every male joint and then polish off. I do this to every rod I have every year it lubricates and helps stop the joints sticking. Its non sticky so doesnt pick up grit etc, and helps to prolong the life of the joint

chill out go fishing

mike s

I wrap a single layer of the brown tape used for sealing cardboard boxes round the male joints where I most often break the pole down. It lasts a good few sessions & works out at about 0.0000001p a joint[:)][:)]
Wot, me tight[?][:D]

Cumbria Angling Centre

Chopper

For the end of your 'male' no 4 and 5 sections I would glue in a foam maver bullet nose. These stop you from chipping your male joints and also clean your 'female' no 3 and 4 sections.

Personally I wouldn't bother with tape or maver savers (shrink wrap plastic) on your male joints as these protect your male joints but wear out the inside of your females more quickly than if you didn't have them.

What I do recomend is teflon spray that you can get from most fishing shops, either maver or sensas. Just spray it on all the joints of your pole, try and get 3 layers on and it should last for ages. Number 4 and 5 sections you might have to spray every 5th outing or so to keep a protective layer of teflon there.

Your joints should last for years doing this [;)]

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

mike s

Lee, one of the ADVANTAGES I've found with the tape is that, unlike the "shrink tube" stuff, it's soft & doesn't cause ANY wear.
I dislike the "wonder sleeve/pole joint protector" etc. stuff intensely. I saw Steve Gardener using the brown tape & have been using it for 3 years now with no wear problems. I also use the Preston nose cones as I'm not convinced that the foam types don't hold abrasive grit & exacerbate wear.

Cumbria Angling Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.