Pole or rod?

second chance

Hi all,
I did a bit of fishing when I was younger using a rod and line, mainly on little pools and canals. After a 20 year lay off and realizing how short life is I would like to reconnect with the hobby. I will mainly be doing the same again and have read numerous times a pole would be better suited not just for a canal but it would also handle bigger fish from pools. This would of course be choosing the right rig for the right fish scenario.
I'm currently using my rod and line and due to what I have read about the poles accuracy on bait presentation and loose feed compared to my rod and line approach I think the pole is probably the best way to go?
As i've come to see the pros, what are the cons of using a pole? Do the pros outweigh the cons? Does anybody prefer using a rod?
Sorry for all the questions, i'm just keen to get back into the hobby.
Thanks.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Hello mate, welcome to the forum and all that 😊

You’ll soon have a million answers, and it looks like I’m in first! I’d say the cons are that a pole takes a lot more effort carting it around, the accessories you need are almost endless (and can be very expensive), and they are susceptible to accidents and breakages. There are other cons of course, and a whole stack of pros to balance these out, so it’s a case of diving in (or not).

I did dive in with a margin pole first (stronger, not as expensive, easier to handle initially) and then quite quickly bought a 16m pole. I’m not a match guy so I use the poles in among rods and reels etc.

If you’ve got the money and the inclination, I’d say give it a go. It’s certainly enriched my overall fishing experience.

Al

Reuben

Site Supporter
Same here. Had a pole when I match fished many moons ago. Gave up fishing then came back to it. Started with rod & line again then got a second hand margin pole then a 13m MAP pole - still got it. I don’t match fish now so 80% of the time I fish rod & line. I don’t mind the pole but it’s more of a faff for the reasons above & I fish from a chair nowadays.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi all,
I did a bit of fishing when I was younger using a rod and line, mainly on little pools and canals. After a 20 year lay off and realizing how short life is I would like to reconnect with the hobby. I will mainly be doing the same again and have read numerous times a pole would be better suited not just for a canal but it would also handle bigger fish from pools. This would of course be choosing the right rig for the right fish scenario.
I'm currently using my rod and line and due to what I have read about the poles accuracy on bait presentation and loose feed compared to my rod and line approach I think the pole is probably the best way to go?
As i've come to see the pros, what are the cons of using a pole? Do the pros outweigh the cons? Does anybody prefer using a rod?
Sorry for all the questions, i'm just keen to get back into the hobby.
Thanks.
Both have good points ,i say have a nice margin pole and a nice rod and real setup to begin with and if you like the pole progress to a 16m or 13m pole setup .Welcome to the forum ,happy days

Carl t

I got into pole fishing around 4 years ago after a long break from fishing, I really enjoyed learning the art from scratch ( rigs different float styles and feeding etc etc) I like the idea of having a few different swims on the go simultaneously to target different fish which the pole lends it self too, I love finesse fishing and catching decent sized fish on light tackle is so rewarding and you have more of a chance landing them on a pole set up correctly , having said that I love Waggler and feeder fishing and for me keeps it more interesting switching between the 3 as and when conditions / time of year dictate, the venues you've mentioned suggest a pole would be ideal to try out

second chance

Thanks for your replies.
It seems as though it's the preferred choice but not to give up on the rod completely.
I think I might use a pole on the canal and the rod and line on the pools. Of course this could all change once I've used a pole.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
As a Londoner I have fished a pole almost all of my adult life. There are days rod and line will outscore the pole. But in almost all situations the pole will be my weapon of choice. The right pole, rig and elastics will cope with almost any British coarse fish. But both pole and rod have their limitations. Using both will teach you when which one is best in what situation.

For a new pole angler may I suggest having a look at my beginners guide on my blog.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks for your replies.
It seems as though it's the preferred choice but not to give up on the rod completely.
I think I might use a pole on the canal and the rod and line on the pools. Of course this could all change once I've used a pole.
If you have both rods and a pole, then don’t limit yourself by setting where/when you’ll use them, assess conditions on the day, I would say that 90% or even more of the matches I fish are won on the pole, it’s ability to achieve accurate feeding and presenting the bait in different ways will outscore the rod many times, but the fish may not always be in pole range, so a rod will obviously outscore a pole in that circumstance.

second chance

As a Londoner I have fished a pole almost all of my adult life. There are days rod and line will outscore the pole. But in almost all situations the pole will be my weapon of choice. The right pole, rig and elastics will cope with almost any British coarse fish. But both pole and rod have their limitations. Using both will teach you when which one is best in what situation.

For a new pole angler may I suggest having a look at my beginners guide on my blog.

Thanks for the link, I shall have a look at it now.

second chance

If you have both rods and a pole, then don’t limit yourself by setting where/when you’ll use them, assess conditions on the day, I would say that 90% or even more of the matches I fish are won on the pole, it’s ability to achieve accurate feeding and presenting the bait in different ways will outscore the rod many times, but the fish may not always be in pole range, so a rod will obviously outscore a pole in that circumstance.
Thanks for your reply, I guess it's a learning curve that comes with the hobby.

J W

John
Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum mate.

Mine's a similar tail to yours. Pleasure angler returning to the sport after 20 odd years. Came back fishing rod and line but realised that ultimately you will catch a lot more fish on stillwaters and commercials with a pole.

I was advised to get a 'cheaper' margin pole to 'see if pole fishing suited me'. After much consideration I decided not to take that advice and bought a decent 14.5m pole with a selection of match kits and power kits...and I am glad I did!

By taking the plunge with a slightly better, longer pole I have really enjoyed having the flexibility and learning the various methods of pole fishing and I have, without doubt, caught many more fish than I would with a rod.

As has been said before, there are some cons. It can be expensive buying rollers, roost, elastic and stuff for making rigs. And then you've got to get it all in the car and then to your peg! I have just had to invest in Preston shuttle.

There are days however when I just fancy the enjoyment of using rod and line and I just leave the pole at home.

It's nice to have the choice.

second chance

Welcome to the forum mate.

Mine's a similar tail to yours. Pleasure angler returning to the sport after 20 odd years. Came back fishing rod and line but realised that ultimately you will catch a lot more fish on stillwaters and commercials with a pole.

I was advised to get a 'cheaper' margin pole to 'see if pole fishing suited me'. After much consideration I decided not to take that advice and bought a decent 14.5m pole with a selection of match kits and power kits...and I am glad I did!

By taking the plunge with a slightly better, longer pole I have really enjoyed having the flexibility and learning the various methods of pole fishing and I have, without doubt, caught many more fish than I would with a rod.

As has been said before, there are some cons. It can be expensive buying rollers, roost, elastic and stuff for making rigs. And then you've got to get it all in the car and then to your peg! I have just had to invest in Preston shuttle.

There are days however when I just fancy the enjoyment of using rod and line and I just leave the pole at home.

It's nice to have the choice.
Thanks for your reply. I'm definitely going to go down this route.