Pole or bomb/feeder when it gets cold?

Total

Site Supporter
Waggler or bomb/feeder these days....Do prefer to feed some bait if I possibly can....

stikflote

Site Supporter
All the fish i caught today were on bomb and bread and it was cold very windy

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Small method feeder with pellet on and a maggot hookbait if it’s carp your after, especially if there are f1s in there. Waggler for silvers.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Waggler would be first choice for me then a 7gm bomb. Too cold to bother holding a pole for me.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Depends on the venue, on snake lakes, it’s pole- dobbing bread and fishing maggots on light rigs…. Longer lash to keep the pole top away from the water , grey top kits ….maggot/ hybrid feeder can work, but hasn’t been lately….On open water lakes waggler or bomb and single baits probably work better 💁‍♂️

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
All 3
Search peg by dobbin bread on pole
Search further out with bomb
then pick a spot put some bait and pray to any and all gods

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
I change over to lure fishing for the Perch and Pike, with the occasional lucky Chub turning up now and then. Much prefer active mobile fishing when the temperature drops - easier to keep warm by keeping moving.

I've even been known to fly fish for the Perch and Pike when it gets really cold.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Along the same lines as the t bag ,bomb and popped up bread when the water clears, have a few Hooklength made up at different lengths, punching out the crust ensures it floats.
Like crust idea.dies that pop up nice

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Jon Whincup's guide to the Winter League final on Decoy in February suggested a basic bomb with pop-up, as an alternative to drip-feeding maggots on the pole, as fish tend to be off bottom a lot when the water is really cold. He fishes the pop-up a foot off bottom.

JLK

Every venue has its own method of approach at this time of year.

I fish silverfish opens on a mixed fishery at this time of year where there are also a lot of carp that share the same water.
I've experimented quite a bit over the last few years with different feeding patterns to try to eliminate getting bothered by the carp to no real avail.
What I have found though is if you feed a fishmeal groundbait very damp at the start on a throwaway line and constantly feed this line with a catapult little and often and it doesn't matter if it's maggots, pinkies or casters - I prefer fresh pinkies actually as there really is minimal food content in a pinkie. (if you think about it they are just little sacks of liquid) Fish a really light rig say a 0.1/0.2 on the drop full depth with single/double fluoro pinkie you will catch anything that swims. Even carp when they show up. And they will.

This is one method I will always use on any commercial venue anywhere in the country in winter. It's a really cheap throw away line for the sake of 2/3 pints of pinkies. Get the silvers feeding and the carp will move in before you know it.

Dropon

Like crust idea.dies that pop up nice
Hello Marker, yes crust pops up well. Just my opinion but a crust from a fresh loaf is best, punch out 10 or 12 mm size. 2 or 3 pieces of bread can also work ,don’t compress it if you want it to float. If you want it make it sink then compress the discs. Hope this helps. Ps if you have a few hook lengths made up you can put the bread on and just unclimbed and refit the h/l.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Hi.thanks.
I'v tested bread loads in garage.sqeezed.not sqeezed.differant sizes etc .
And it just lays on bottom eveytime.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Hi.thanks.
I'v tested bread loads in garage.sqeezed.not sqeezed.differant sizes etc .
And it just lays on bottom eveytime.
it never pops up like people think ,best way to pop it up is white rig foam cut into discs and put one of them on with a couple of bread discs

Dropon

hello ,if you squeeze the discs they will sink , if you punch out 2 or 3 discs they float, I use a quick stop to put the bread on . Crust always floats , try it in your aquatic research centre , a container with water in it LOL, good luck.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Garage sink.research centre .not tryd crust.
I came to conclusion popped up bread is NOT popped up bread.
Ps thanks chef.