Pole or bomb/feeder when it gets cold?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
What's your prefered method when the water temperature drops, the fish start shoaling up, the water clears, and you have to start working for your fish?

- Pole and work the swim looking for the fish but at the same time risk spooking them with the water clarity?

- Feeder and hope to attract one that's still feeding?

- Bomb and no feed, just searching the swim until you land on the fish?

Or any other method I've missed?

York-20111120-00229.jpg

Last edited:

Dropon

You could try a bomb and t bag, t bag about size of a grape. Cast around looking for fish but not leaving big parcels of feed all over.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Pole for silvers as you can usually get them actively feeding during the summer. Obviously if a Carp comes along it's welcome, But I'd prefer to actively fish for them on the Feeder. Nothing worse than freezing cold hands while not catching anything.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Our club had a match at Brook Farm today... top weight was a net of carp with punched bread and bomb approx 60lb so I'm told

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There's not that many silvers in the commercials I fish, but loads of F1s and small Carp. Feeder for me, there's still feeding fish on my venues even when it's freezing, it's just a case of finding where they're balled up.

Dropon

Along the same lines as the t bag ,bomb and popped up bread when the water clears, have a few Hooklength made up at different lengths, punching out the crust ensures it floats.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Waggler for me. Like what’s been said …. You can search around without spooking any fish you may have. Then bomb. Then feeder as a last resort … IE. .. cast and wait. 🤷‍♂️

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Was going to say as others have said you’ve missed floats on running line!

Aside from that it really depends on the venue but generally my choice is like it is the rest of the year as in float is plan A then go feeder as plan B. Well or if it’s too cold to have hands out of the pockets for float fishing then feeders a god send 😅

TiggerXFM

If on the river it's the float for me, same goes for still waters.
If the levels allow, I'd rather float leger than leger as it gives a better/earlier indication than the rod tip.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
My word, you're desperate not to lose another nugget at Alders on the F&F on Saturday, surprised you haven't asked Tommy P to fish for you.😂🤣

Just remember that effective as popped up bread may be in winter it is Banned at Alders. ;)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
You local Total...?

Ooh... a wee Rhymette...😛🤣

rudd

Site Supporter
The waters always clear at my favourite venue, it’s also deep.
Prefer waggler/slider if conditions allow followed by light bomb rod with either bomb or very small maggot feeder.
If after the carp, small single fluro pop ups using hinged d rigs.