Pole on the river

Status
Not open for further replies.

bards

Seaons Greeings.
This winter I have turned my back on the club stillwaters and taken the trusty pole down to my local Norfolk/Suffolk rivers.
I have been very fortunate in being able to co-opt a couple of very experienced match anglers to show me the basics but there are a few things I wish to ask.
The venues I have tried are the River Waveney and Riverside Road, Norwich, Typically very deep and quite quick.

1. - How far overdepth would you advise starting from? I have been using a float length.
2. - Would you set the rig different for Roach than Bream?
3. - What is the advantage of greasing the float bristle? Why not just remove a shot?
4. - On a wide, apparently featurless river, How do you know what length to start at??

Thanks in anticipation.
Bards

martin.

Account Locked
hi bard
although im only about 60m from there ive never fished them but from what ive heard & know of pole fishing on pacy water the way ide approach it is either lolipop float or pole feeder ive had some good catches on both methods when our river has been pumping off.
both methods may seem awkward to start with but with practice can be easy
hope this helps if you want a deeper explanation of the methods let us know

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

martin.

Account Locked
hi bard
got your mail but when i replied my computer crashed so dont know if you recieved it so will put it on here as well
the way i set my lolipop rigs up is shot them down to bristle with bulk shot 18inches from hook set float 8-14 inches over depth with one shot just touching bottom and 1 to 3 number 8 or 6 laying on deck and fish it holding it back.
it takes some practice but once you get the hang of it it's easy.
the amount of shot and line on deck depend on flow
hope this helps.

tight lines.
martin.

martin.

Account Locked
forgot to mention
another option on the pole if you want to run through a little way with it is use a normal stick float 4" overdepht with a bulk
6" from deck & No6 1" from deck & just go through holding back so that bait just flutters up off the deck go through about 1/3 of speed of current

tight lines.
martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.