Pole nose cones (again.....)

PeteC

I know there have been several post concerning fitting Pole protectors and to be quite honest I did that a while back when I chipped the ends of a couple of sections and one started to split.....they were easy to fit and certainly saved me a lot of trouble and expense further down the road.....

Anyway, my query is not to do with the merits of fitting them, or not...that's already been sold to me....I've put them in all the sections of my Pole, the only ones not fitted with them are the top kits......my query is this, if they were fitted in the top kits would they in anyway interfere with the elastic..or...would they actually improve the performance of it as the elastic would be supported away from part of the pole interior on the ptfe. I seem to have problems sometimes with lighter elastics in the match kits and no amount of lubricant seems to help...in some cases it seems to make the elastic "stick" more.

Any opinions ? Have any of you got them in your poles and do they work or have you fitted them and then binned them as they made matters worse ?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I know there have been several post concerning fitting Pole protectors and to be quite honest I did that a while back when I chipped the ends of a couple of sections and one started to split.....they were easy to fit and certainly saved me a lot of trouble and expense further down the road.....

Anyway, my query is not to do with the merits of fitting them, or not...that's already been sold to me....I've put them in all the sections of my Pole, the only ones not fitted with them are the top kits......my query is this, if they were fitted in the top kits would they in anyway interfere with the elastic..or...would they actually improve the performance of it as the elastic would be supported away from part of the pole interior on the ptfe. I seem to have problems sometimes with lighter elastics in the match kits and no amount of lubricant seems to help...in some cases it seems to make the elastic "stick" more.

Any opinions ? Have any of you got them in your poles and do they work or have you fitted them and then binned them as they made matters worse ?
I tried a couple in top kits and my elastic started to stick, it never sticks normally, so I took them out..I personally think they are a waste of time, no doubt others will disagree, as a lot of anglers do use them

Paul.P

Depends which ones you use i guess, i personally use the sensas ones ( green ones ) with a ptfe bush in the centre. If they hold your elastic away from the side wall of the top kit & the elastic is running through the smooth ptfe then its gotta be smoother than just running up the rough inside of the carbon, however this will also depend on how bendy your top section is, as if it is bendy then your elastic will still rub somewhat within that section although with it coming from the centre of the joint between the 2 sections it will not be as bad as without the bush. I have also used the protectapole "kit cones " which are just as good.

Nicky Dodds

Depends which ones you use i guess, i personally use the sensas ones ( green ones ) with a ptfe bush in the centre. If they hold your elastic away from the side wall of the top kit & the elastic is running through the smooth ptfe then its gotta be smoother than just running up the rough inside of the carbon, however this will also depend on how bendy your top section is, as if it is bendy then your elastic will still rub somewhat within that section although with it coming from the centre of the joint between the 2 sections it will not be as bad as without the bush. I have also used the protectapole "kit cones " which are just as good.
I've never seen a top kit that has a rough finish on the inside

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

Have them in a preston m50 ,they are pretty good if you keep them clean as the gather bits of muck . They also make re elasticating take a little longer . Not put them in any pole since though

matt

Site Supporter
Might be that you’re putting too much lubricant into the top kits and they are gunking up!?

Try giving them a good clean with washing up liquid and then rinse through and then re elasticating as we’re all in lockdown, so it’s something to do and that might do the trick :upthumb:

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
The inside of top kits get gunned up with lubricant , which then gets dust and all other sorts of muck stuck to it. This then causes your elastic to stick. You can either use soapy water to clean them out. But this can be a pain getting down into the small bore to clean it properly. I take the elastic out and spray contact or brake cleaner down inside and then blow an airline through it. They come up like brand new.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
The inside of top kits get gunned up with lubricant , which then gets dust and all other sorts of muck stuck to it. This then causes your elastic to stick. You can either use soapy water to clean them out. But this can be a pain getting down into the small bore to clean it properly. I take the elastic out and spray contact or brake cleaner down inside and then blow an airline through it. They come up like brand new.
I just use lake water normaly ,have to see with the preston hybrid

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
All I do is fold the top kit in half, pour soapy water down each one , swish it about and blow down the top section, pull the elastic in and out a few times, my elastic never sticks with Maver top kits, but has on other poles I’ve had though, many moons ago

RMNDIL

I use a length of mono - something like 0.50 or 0.60 - with a small slipping loop tied in the middle which holds a very small piece of cotton wool. Then thread one end of the line up, through and out the top of the section and pull the cotton wool up inside (it probably will not get quite to the very top) making sure you have plenty of the line sticking out of the bottom of the section to get hold of. By pulling the line from either end back and forth (I just tie or loop one end to something as it makes it much easier & quicker. Then hold the section in one hand to slide the section up and down the line quickly) you can clean/scrub the inside very well. You'd be surprised at how black the cotton wool will become.

Nicky Dodds

I use a length of mono - something like 0.50 or 0.60 - with a small slipping loop tied in the middle which holds a very small piece of cotton wool. Then thread one end of the line up, through and out the top of the section and pull the cotton wool up inside (it probably will not get quite to the very top) making sure you have plenty of the line sticking out of the bottom of the section to get hold of. By pulling the line from either end back and forth (I just tie or loop one end to something as it makes it much easier & quicker. Then hold the section in one hand to slide the section up and down the line quickly) you can clean/scrub the inside very well. You'd be surprised at how black the cotton wool will become.
I do similar. Sometimes threading string through the match No1s and polishing them. Always done when re-elasticating. On bigger sections I'll use string and a section of sponge.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
All I do is fold the top kit in half, pour soapy water down each one , swish it about and blow down the top section, pull the elastic in and out a few times, my elastic never sticks with Maver top kits, but has on other poles I’ve had though, many moons ago
I only do the mega clean with the brake cleaner when I change the elastic. If you look down the inside of the section afterwards it’s very shiney, just like new.

PeteC

Many thanks for all of your comments...sorry I've not posted earlier but I've been busy getting my late Father in laws house ready for sale (covid victim....), don't think I've ever had to do anything quite as upsetting to be quite honest....
Anyway, I think I've a cleaning session with my top kits coming on soon as a first step then maybe I'll try just sticking a cone in one kit and see if it makes a difference at all...if nothing else I'd love to get rid of elastic rattle although I doubt a cone would stop it...but who knows eh.
Thanks again all