pole floats

Status
Not open for further replies.

roy

could anyone supply me with info as to were i could purchase pole float bodies or better still a grinding machine which i could make my own as i make all floats to raise funds for charity

THANKS ROY[:D]

roy dermott

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Try www.screwfix.com for a small hobby lathe. One of these should easily be able to produce balsa bodies to a pattern [:)]

Dave
Datafile2.asp

Free MD's Stickers

joe32

Or you could try machine mart they have a wood lathe for abot 70.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/

Joe [:D] [:D]

Don't argue with an idiot they will only bring you down to there level and beat you on experience

MALC

I use a small Lath attachment for a normal drill picked it up from a hobby/model shop for about 10.

MALC
Datafile2.asp
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

gazmalman

malmanfloats.com
Is balsa not a nightmare to turn with chisels though? It seems very britle. Ive been investigating making my own floats at work. My mate in the modelmaking department (i work in a uni) reckons that the best way to turn float bodies will be to make up jigs with sandpaper. That way I'll get a smooth finish + the same shape every time, quickly.

clarkie

I make my floats with a with a pair of profiles each side of the balsa on a small lathe. I then use an abrasive rod to sand down the balsa to the profile. It gives you repeatable floats.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I use a lathe attachment to an electric drill. Use square section balsa not round, why..... Its easier to center on the lathe. I then use a modelling knife with a new blade to slice off the 4 corners. Do not use chisels but varying grades of sand paper to form the shape. To dot apply to much pressure as the balsa will break.
After the bodies formed and before painting apply a coat of Humbrol "Dope". This seals the balsa and raises the grain. Then with a very fine grade of sand paper for a final rub down. This ensures a good smooth base to start painting

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

clarkie

I use round balsa, I've got jig which has a hole the same size as the balsa, the jig has a smaller hole drilled through the centre. To use I push the balsa into the jig and the feed in the wire stem through the small hole, gives you a perfectly aligned stem.
Another tip, to get a a good smooth base for the float, mix talc powder with dope, it will fill the grain, two coats are normally all thats required.

Status
Not open for further replies.