Pole Floats

Status
Not open for further replies.

91-TC-91

Hi, how do you tell how many shots you should put on a rig when setting up a pole rig? (I know there's different float sizes and weights etc, but just wondering how these co-incide with the shotting) thx, Tom

bigdavewsf

have a look what it says on the side of the float

ie 4x10 this means 4 number 10 style weights(except fox and a couple of others that do it in shot), this is equiviliant to 0.14 grammes, so if you use styles its easy to do, but if you like the majority of people use shot you need to convert it to shot

use this http://moopoo.net/calculator/ to work out 0.14g in the shot you want to use in this case 4 number 10 and a number 11 shot

you will find that there is slight discrepansies on what it says on the float and how the float sits in the water due to balsa(the main material used in float bodies)being a natural product and changing slighly in density

91-TC-91

ah [:D] thx for that mate, i get it now [:D] very useful calculator that as well [;)] thx, Tom

Last edited:

strat2

watch out for fox floats they state 8x10 but it means 8 number 10's

ONLY on fox floats though

dward1996

Life Member
Just a warning, you will find that some brands of pole float, are not very accurate when it comes to the weight marked on the side.

If you are making up pole rigs at home, it is a good idea to chop the top off of a 2 litre drinks bottle, and fill it with water, and test how much shot you need to cock the float. This will not be exactly the same as what is required at the lake for various reasons, but it may well be more accurate than the manufacturers weight that they print on the float.

Hatman

Drawbag ace
I'm not optomistic about the printed on shotting being any more than a guide, especially as I like to have my float dotted down whenever possible.

I have a device that helps, a small plastic dish with a rubbery bit in the centre for the floats stem to stick into. Put the shot in the dish until the float is as you want it, although it doesn't live up to this in practice - the dish should be exactly neutral buoyancy, but it actually is slightly buoyant (so the float ends up slightly over-shotted, no good when I'm aiming for shotted to a dot).

Aside from a bit of line and pinching shot on, does anyone know of a better approach to get a fine tip exactly right? I'm talking about the really fine ones, canal/bloodworm type floats with tips that the weight of a hook and a pinkie will sink!

Skuzzlebutt

I don't even bother looking at the numbers on the side, here's what I do.

Get an empty 1.5 litre bottle of Coke and cut the top off it at its widest point, strip the plastic wrapper off it so you can see everything in it, wash it out first then fill it up with water, add a bit of washing up liquid and with a spoon skim off the foam so you just have the water in there. Then shot your float how you think and drop it in the water and see exactly how you're shotting it, this just takes away the doubt especially if you shot it exactly then use a piece of luncheon meat which will over shot the float, in those cases you want a bit of the body sticking up aswell. Keep the line short and bulk the shot under the float, too much line will touch the bottom of the bottle and give a false indication and if any shot is resting on the bottom of the bottle that too will give a false reading.

I do this for every different float I have, if you have a few of the same float pattern and size then you'll only have to do this once. Its much easier than guessing at it and having to strip shot at the bankside when its over shotted.

If you're hyper organised then write down a record of each float and what you're favourite shotting pattern is for each one then you won't have to rely on the numbers on the side or have to use the coke bottle every time you do a new rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.