Pole floats

crayfishtraps

Site Supporter
have thought of that..but i like to do 30-40 at a time..lol..did want to try and do some wire stemmed floats..but dont know how much bigger float bodies i would need from carbon to wire..because dont want to get 0.4 bodies which would take 6x no8s carbon stem...and only take 4x9s with wire stem?

Last edited:

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
On the ones I've seen made in bulk using a dipping machine the eyes and tips are added last. Whether this is true of all float makers I don't know.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
tin hat time.......fitting wire will do your head in eventually. Nitol wire has a different density to steel wire so for (EG) 0.4g typical glass stem
you now have to have potentially 2 more different body sizes to match a 0.4g load or adjust stem lengths depending on which wire type you use.

I sell mine as an overall load where the stem is part of the overall loading. So a 0.4 wire stemmed float has the same body size as a 0.4g carbon stemmed float, it just makes things a lot more simple. It sort of make sense to me because if I was using .4 float because of the depth then the wire stem float would be used if I want to fish with less shot down the line and see the float cocked immediately.

Alternatively if I actually want more shot I simply use a bigger bodied float (eg 0.5g), in this case the point of the wire stem would be stability otherwise I would use a 0.4g carbon version......

Then of course there is the whole other argument that says uses carbon for everything and push shot up directly under the stem to create the same effect as wire..... do we over think things sometimes ?

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Those pre painted bodies are ok, floats look good when built. I cut some open, am not so sure of the foam quality but no doubt they will do a good job and no problem if just for your self. i have some on winders that I will test to destruction this summer.

crayfishtraps

Site Supporter
i rang gerrys of nottingham.now nathans...website..now moved..phone number is 07849837417...still gerry