Pole floats

brantwood

Hi guys and gals. Looking for some info on pole floats. I'm new into pole fishing and was after some advice on floats. With the different body shapes and stem material make when and what shape and stem do I use when fishing. I fish mainly commercials for a mixture of fish like I said just starting on the pole so would like to target all species. Only fishing to 10m and margins. Look forward to your help and advice many thanks Chris.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Well at least you have a can opener. For maggot and pellet something along the lines of the Drennan AS3 in 0.2 to 0.5 this has a carbon stem and a chianti style body.
For the margins the AS4 in a 0.4 and over with bulk for corn and meat, this has a body up style with a carbon stem.
There is a school of thought that a 4x10, 4x12 fished over depth works well in the margins.
For those days when there is a surface skim then the AS1 or AS2 with a wire stem which will help with stability in 0.2 to 0.5.
You could also have a talk with Nick Gilbert (the float store) and go with his recommendations. Not and exhaustive list and you will get a few more thoughts on floats as well.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Best advice is not to try to over complicate things buy a few different sizes in maybe 2 or 3 body shapes, I find a rugby ball, body up and straight cover most of my fishing everything is just a variation on these basic patterns, start with carbon stems or maybe glass as they are though and not to difficult to shot down. Get used to fishing the pole with these basic patterns before you experiment with other more 'exotic rigs'. But like most people you will probably find a few patterns that you are happy with and stick with variations of them

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Some good advice above. What I would add is, ask a few pole anglers what they prefer to use and why. But, not while they’re in a match. 😂. Where abouts are you pal ?

lp1886

Site Supporter
You won’t go far wrong with the new Preston commercial slim range (F1 pellet or Carp pellet).

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I wondered, as at less than a quid a float, they're very cheap.
They are pal. I think Stuart works on turn over. Lovely floats and extremely well packaged. The pear shaped in 0.75, 1 and 1.5g that I’ve had from him have been excellent I know what you mean though. There’s some right rubbish out there. And even Guru apparently. 🤔🤔👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Sacrilege, stone him,stone him now!!!! 🤣
The words of forum member pilchy60 not me matey. 😆😆😆. Theres not many pole floats I wouldnt have thought can be dragged through a patch of lillies and come out the other end unscathed. 😃😃😃