Pole floats, under current and shotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terri

Hi all (again)

I was fishing in my clubs match on sunday and hit a problem. The wind was blowing a bit and holding my pole was a bit hard so i came in a bit. I was getting bites at about 1 foot off the bottom and sometimes on the drop but once the hook had been down for a few minutes there was nothing. Another member suggested that it might be the undercurrent with fishing close in that was lifting my bait. I moved most of my shot down to eigth inches or there abouts from the hook but it didnt make any difference.
Has anyone else had experiences of this?

Thanks, Terri

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Terri,
I would have been tempted to have gone in the opposite direction,and spaced the shot out more,letting the bait fall more slowly and seeing if i could encourage more bites on the drop.Also once the bait had settled lifting it and let it settle again.Quite often at this time of year fish seem reluctant to take a static bait but will snap at a moving one.
Peter.

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Terri

Thanks Peter

Sometimes i think the obvious is there but you cant see it. Graham the other member, made it sound as though it was the current moving the bait but when i was getting bites when on the drop surely i should have been getting them with the extra movement. Putting my shot close stopped the bait from moving.
Its funny as well because when i was struggling to hold my pole at 11m i was getting the odd bite and fish, it would have been because of the movement, dooh

Thanks alot, Terri

bart4real

Hi,
I am no expert but it sounds as though the fish were following the bait down to a certain depth and then ignoring it. I have seen this happen quite a lot but usually in the first couple of inches of water. Fish like carp, chub and roach tend to take the bait as soon as it hits the water at times because they are very rarely caught at that depth, especially with the waggler. Once you take into consideration the length of the float, you would be fishing a minimum of 12 inches. This could be the case with what you explained. The only way to resolve the situation is to come up shallower. Certain species can be caugth right up to the surface, even in winter. Larger species will take the bait as it hits the water but can often be caught fishing a little deeper. I would start off fishing on the bottom and then gradually come up to half depth. You can literally fish inches deep and catch all day at times.
Only a suggestion, the problem may be something completely different butn it is always wortth a try fishig shallow in the winter and ignoring what you read about fish only feeding on the deck when it gets cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.