Pole floats for deep water

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Fishing one of our ponds tomorrow that I haven't fished before. It's pretty deep in comparison to the other ponds we have so I'm just making a couple of rigs up.
People have often mentioned 0.1g of float per 1 foot of water, previously. However I also want to fish a sensitive float. What would you recommend for a silvers pond that is around 7 foot deep?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Don't assume that sensitive means the lightest float you can find. It depends how it's shotted.

I'd start on no lower than a 1 gm Drennan Tuff Eye in 7ft of water, unless it's absolutely calm.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fishing one of our ponds tomorrow that I haven't fished before. It's pretty deep in comparison to the other ponds we have so I'm just making a couple of rigs up.
People have often mentioned 0.1g of float per 1 foot of water, previously. However I also want to fish a sensitive float. What would you recommend for a silvers pond that is around 7 foot deep?
Depends on the bait and the target species...... a light strung rig for caster through the water, a bulk rig for skimmers on the deck with pellet for example.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Depends on the bait and the target species...... a light strung rig for caster through the water, a bulk rig for skimmers on the deck with pellet for example.
Maggot /caster for skimmers & roach (there were also a few surprise crucians show yesterday).

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Sensitivity can be achieved even with a heavy float. You just need a thin bristle and dot it down as low as possible.

But 7 feet is not that deep and I would happily use a 0.4/5g float if the conditions are calm. In a tow I would go to the other extreme and use 1 or 1.5g.

On calm days I will use a 0.2g float in 5ft. The 0.1g/foot is a guide or starting point and not a rule.

pies

Site Supporter
If the weather fine i would possibly set up a 4x12 to fish on the drop and a 4x14 or 4x16 to fish on bottom

if windy scrap on drop and use heavy float 1g plus to hold on bottom

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter

nick gilberts slim gimps aint a bad choice for deepish water

or the larger sizes of XT finesse's

Whixall

Hey Landlord. Which one goes to 7ft? Smaller pond off the Stork?

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I would probably go with a 4x16 with strung bulk in the lower 1/3rd of the rig.
For through the water a 4x14 with strung out shotting. If I wanted a slower fall through the water I would use good old fashioned Styl leads.

newby66

I fished a pool the other week that was top 4 deep and used a Drennan 0.8g float and it was ideal for catch silvers etc.