Pole float question

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Make sure your on the bottom with the bait first if your fishing on the bottom ,if not some baits take on water .. Tow can cause a problem to if so use a heavier float and different shotting patterns . After you eliminate those it can only be the float so as others say coat float with varnish.
Thanks Rob. Yeah I’ve defo found that to be true when fishing pellet of various kinds- quick tweak and it’s fine- but also had the float just slowly disappearing even when I’m certain the bait is dead depth. Going to get bristle grease, nail varnish, the works 😂

Stealth123

This may be one for you regular match and/or pole lads.

I've noticed quite often that a float that was sitting perfectly nicely at the start of the session with a centimetre of bristle showing slowly seems to sink (no, not a bite- I know what one of those looks like!) as the hours go by. Anyone else clocked this phenomenon? Anyone got any suggestions as to why? I tend to use Drennan AS floats (AS3s for silvers, AS2s for carp).

Thankingyouverymuch.

Al
Sounds like water absorbtion on float material, try a dab of vaseline

richox12

I use/have used a lot of AS floats and have never had this happen. But I have had a tiny adjustment noticeable on wire tipped Joker floats of 4x10 and 4x12. So with more buoyant tip it probably wouldn't be noticeable anyway.

Nicky Dodds

I remember using a cane stemmed float on the river which would require constant adjustment. I came to the conclusion that altering depth caused the line to rub off the verbiage cane stem, so it was gradually taking on water. Other floats always had a period of ‘settling in’, as well. I presume this was due to taking in water around the side eye or between tip/stem and body. What I started to do (and still do) is to coat all new floats with some rod whipping varnish (said to be flexible and impact resistant). I have tried the clear nail varnish recommended by others on the thread, but find it dries too quickly for me to work with effectively. This may seem a faff, but it works for me, and has solved what can be a frustrating occurrence. Hope this helps!
Done this myself for quite a few years now. I used to use the Seymo quick pro epoxy resin which was even more of a faff but it helps to strengthen, preserve, and protect especially on floats that are discontinued but you know you will be using for years to come. You just have to be careful round the side eye and clear it before the resin cures.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
^^...Hoping you ain't bought a job lot of 'KC' gear?:(.........
Near every float in my rig boxes comes from either Nick Gilbert, Hillbilly or Drake

NG XT range of floats are superb, rohacell, strong, well painted and sealed, as our Hillbilly handmades, and I dont need to big up drakes

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Golf is for people who can't fish....:oops:......You ordered that side tray yet?:unsure::whistle:
Best take up golf then. 🤣. No. Not ordered it yet. A certain Mr Dodds keeps pointing out the snags with them. I’ll wait while he’s not looking and nick his. He’s got a posh one. I’m like Wurzel Gummage compared to our Nicky. Stuff all over the place. He’s right neat and tidy he is. 🤣🤣

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This phenomenon I find is even more apparent to me when fishing with canal style floats with a fine bristle. As said, it made bristle grease very useful.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I've been using genesis floats for a good while now and not had any problems👍