Pole float question

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
KC Carpa floats, not produced anymore, thank goodness!.....You only had to look at them and they would implode....:D.....Eyes being pulled out of floats, leaking/taking on water.....Absolutely shocking range of floats....:(
When they first came out it was just a question of getting them home and starting again. A set of needle nosed pliers, grip the float eye with them and a quick twist would result in the eye coming free so that you could re-glue them using a decent adhesive (2 pack Araldite being my choice). Following that little exercise a couple of coats of Hard as Nails resulted in a decent float that was fit for purpose. ;)

Total

Site Supporter
When they first came out it was just a question of getting them home and starting again. A set of needle nosed pliers, grip the float eye with them and a quick twist would result in the eye coming free so that you could re-glue them using a decent adhesive (2 pack Araldite being my choice). Following that little exercise a couple of coats of Hard as Nails resulted in a decent float that was fit for purpose. ;)
I wouldn't disagree with you our Peter, but should you have to?:unsure:.....Was always a premium priced product and when mentioned of their faults to Kenny, Doug or Stevie the look on their faces said everything, yet they still continued to sell/promote this :poop::(

Last edited:

Nicky Dodds

Worst floats I've had for the balsa body cracking...
KC Carpa porth.
All the burgundy browning range from around 10 years ago.
Sensas jean Francois especially when not used.
Garbolino wire stems were horrendous for pulling out easily.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
This may be one for you regular match and/or pole lads.

I've noticed quite often that a float that was sitting perfectly nicely at the start of the session with a centimetre of bristle showing slowly seems to sink (no, not a bite- I know what one of those looks like!) as the hours go by. Anyone else clocked this phenomenon? Anyone got any suggestions as to why? I tend to use Drennan AS floats (AS3s for silvers, AS2s for carp).

Thankingyouverymuch.

Al
Make sure your on the bottom with the bait first if your fishing on the bottom ,if not some baits take on water .. Tow can cause a problem to if so use a heavier float and different shotting patterns . After you eliminate those it can only be the float so as others say coat float with varnish.

Blanks

Site Supporter
I've been using the NG XT floats for a while now and have found them to be adequate, no problems of taking on water and of good build quality. They are available online via Floatstore.

ravey

I remember using a cane stemmed float on the river which would require constant adjustment. I came to the conclusion that altering depth caused the line to rub off the verbiage cane stem, so it was gradually taking on water. Other floats always had a period of ‘settling in’, as well. I presume this was due to taking in water around the side eye or between tip/stem and body. What I started to do (and still do) is to coat all new floats with some rod whipping varnish (said to be flexible and impact resistant). I have tried the clear nail varnish recommended by others on the thread, but find it dries too quickly for me to work with effectively. This may seem a faff, but it works for me, and has solved what can be a frustrating occurrence. Hope this helps!