Pole float question

piscatorial

Ah okay, seems like Drennan has a bit of form with this then 🤦‍♂️

I flirted with changing my pole rigs to Preston floats- anyone find them better? Worse? Suggestions?
Thats what I'm changing over too. Been using them for a few months now and at the moment the seem fine.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Never had any problems with the AS5 slims I use for punch fishing. You never need anything less than an eleven to trim them up. The OP may have dropped on a bad batch. I suspect his are leaking where the bristle meets the body. Did Ukzero1 make them by any chance ? 🤣🤣
Hi Mick, it's probably that I cobbled them together from all over the place to begin with. They may well have been dodgy from the off- is there much trade in knock-offs of floats?

davepellet

Drennan floats are no worse than any other branded float...
in fact I'd be very surprised if they were as bad as them...

you didn't say in your original post how long you'd been fishing with them before you noticed the change, but I also noticed you said you started with 1cm showing...?
way too much that, maybe that's why they started to sink cos Drennan gear is so good the float instinctively knew it should be dotted down further than that, and was just trying to help you out!!! :D

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi Mick, it's probably that I cobbled them together from all over the place to begin with. They may well have been dodgy from the off- is there much trade in knock-offs of floats?
I wouldn’t have thought so. Margins on pole floats aren’t brilliant. Not worth copying especially nowadays as there’s millions on the market. I think you’ve simply dropped on a couple of duff floats pal.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Drennan floats are no worse than any other branded float...
in fact I'd be very surprised if they were as bad as them...

you didn't say in your original post how long you'd been fishing with them before you noticed the change, but I also noticed you said you started with 1cm showing...?
way too much that, maybe that's why they started to sink cos Drennan gear is so good the float instinctively knew it should be dotted down further than that, and was just trying to help you out!!! :D
Probably had them a year, perhaps 16 months. Not been fished very heavily. How come 1cm is too much? I've not had a problem with that to be honest. If I'm fishing a water with F1s I will take it down a bit more, but I've found silvers and carp bites are not normally hard to spot on 1cm.

davepellet

also, while I'm here... in defence of Drennan's floats, they were probably the most consistent across all the branded ones (when I used to buy them)

with many of the other top brands, you'd get (for the identical pattern & sized float) different stem length, different tip length, float eye in a different place on the body & sometimes - even if the floats looked identical - different shotting capacity

never had any of the above with a Drennan float... worst offenders were preston & Garbolino
best (after Drennan) of the other branded ones were the KC Carpa floats (not sure if they are still around)

Total

Site Supporter
never had any of the above with a Drennan float... worst offenders were preston & Garbolino
best (after Drennan) of the other branded ones were the KC Carpa floats (not sure if they are still around)
KC Carpa floats, not produced anymore, thank goodness!.....You only had to look at them and they would implode....:D.....Eyes being pulled out of floats, leaking/taking on water.....Absolutely shocking range of floats....:(

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Have you got one of them bendy things attached as we discussed?....:whistle:.....It does help!:geek::giggle:
I’m using a larger version to this as I fish a lot of pinkie and squatt on my local canals. I do tend to foul hook fish though. Is this normal ? 🤣🤣 3FB69386-B430-4621-9E20-5B96567DC87B.png

Total

Site Supporter
I’m using a larger version to this as I fish a lot of pinkie and squatt on my local canals. I do tend to foul hook fish though. Is this normal ? 🤣🤣 3FB69386-B430-4621-9E20-5B96567DC87B.png
^^:giggle:......Can see our Pete already proposing/writing a rule about these hooks on his lakes! :love::LOL:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
KC Carpa floats, not produced anymore, thank goodness!.....You only had to look at them and they would implode....:D.....Eyes being pulled out of floats, leaking/taking on water.....Absolutely shocking range of floats....

Still selling em on thiefbay. Horrible things they are. KC carpa is the reason bristle greedy was invented.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
No matter how well made the float I always paint them with nail varnish to seal any gaps where water may penetrate. I repaint when remaking rigs.