Pole float question

Alantherose

Site Supporter
This may be one for you regular match and/or pole lads.

I've noticed quite often that a float that was sitting perfectly nicely at the start of the session with a centimetre of bristle showing slowly seems to sink (no, not a bite- I know what one of those looks like!) as the hours go by. Anyone else clocked this phenomenon? Anyone got any suggestions as to why? I tend to use Drennan AS floats (AS3s for silvers, AS2s for carp).

Thankingyouverymuch.

Al

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
This may be one for you regular match and/or pole lads.

I've noticed quite often that a float that was sitting perfectly nicely at the start of the session with a centimetre of bristle showing slowly seems to sink (no, not a bite- I know what one of those looks like!) as the hours go by. Anyone else clocked this phenomenon? Anyone got any suggestions as to why? I tend to use Drennan AS floats (AS3s for silvers, AS2s for carp).

Thankingyouverymuch.

Al
You can put a light coat of nail varnish on them to seal them or just adjust the shotting when it happens 💁‍♂️I only use handmade floats from reputable floatmakers, eradicates the problem and one less thing to have to mess about with 👍

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Very finicky those floats, i like them due to the very fine adjustment the finickyness gives though, good quality floats though those.

Not had that though, only with paste (different floats) and when the fish are tearing up the bottom and making the depth the rig has to span deeper. Can't see that happening with other baits though where the bait isn't part of the shotting as it were, so not sure why that happens, one float and i would say its taking on water.

davepellet

float body absorbing water

can also happen to the line

if you want to go right down to micro-physics, atmospheric pressure can effect surface tension, changing how your float sits

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Very finicky those floats, i like them due to the very fine adjustment the finickyness gives though.

Not had that though, only with paste (different floats) and when the fish are tearing up the bottom and making the depth the rig has to span deeper. Can't see that happening with other baits though where the bait isn't part of the shotting as it were.
It’s because it’s taking on water 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️

Alantherose

Site Supporter
It’s because it’s taking on water 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️
I suspected that to be honest, but I assumed they were better built than that :(

I'll try the nail varnish trick (just to add to the list of the wife's stuff that has been sequestered for fishing) :ROFLMAO:

Thanks Chef

piscatorial

Yes I've had it happen a quite a few times with Drennan floats, the varnish cracks and the body which is balsa takes on water.
I'm slowly changing over to Rohacell bodied floats

Alantherose

Site Supporter
You can put a light coat of nail varnish on them to seal them or just adjust the shotting when it happens 💁‍♂️I only use handmade floats from reputable floatmakers, eradicates the problem and one less thing to have to mess about with 👍
Just feels annoying to muck about with shotting when you go to the bother of doing it well at home. I don't mind a tweak or two at the start, but frustrating to have to twiddle with it all through the session.

Maybe I'll stick to the dark side of the force (i.e. method!!!) :LOL:

Alantherose

Site Supporter
float body absorbing water

can also happen to the line

if you want to go right down to micro-physics, atmospheric pressure can effect surface tension, changing how your float sits
It happens to the line too?! Crikey.

davepellet

I've had it with all branded floats over the years
preston used to be absolutely shocking for it, but haven't bought a preston float in probly 20 years...
can't recall the last mass produced float I bought

Total

Site Supporter
I suspected that to be honest, but I assumed they were better built than that :(

I'll try the nail varnish trick (just to add to the list of the wife's stuff that has been sequestered for fishing) :ROFLMAO:

Thanks Chef
As Gazza said, re varnish paying attention to where the float tip and stem join the body....Failing this, bin 'em and try a different brand. Preston's Des Shipps' range of floats come well recommended or buy from a reputable hand made pole float seller....(y).....

Nothing worse when you can't rely on a pole float that not giving consistent results.....

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Yes I've had it happen a quite a few times with Drennan floats, the varnish cracks and the body which is balsa takes on water.
I'm slowly changing over to Rohacell bodied floats
Ah okay, seems like Drennan has a bit of form with this then 🤦‍♂️

I flirted with changing my pole rigs to Preston floats- anyone find them better? Worse? Suggestions?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Never had any problems with the AS5 slims I use for punch fishing. You never need anything less than an eleven to trim them up. The OP may have dropped on a bad batch. I suspect his are leaking where the bristle meets the body. Did Ukzero1 make them by any chance ? 🤣🤣

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I don't fish pole all the time, hence I only noticed when I simplified my pole rigs to be only AS floats. Hey ho, wrong choice this time. I'll soldier on and buy fresh stuff later in the year.