Pole float choice

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Hello gents,

I've started to fill my rig box with rigs finally. These are for use on a 4m elasticated whip when fishing with my little lad. We're just after silvers really but larger fish are present. I'm duplicating quite a lot as theres two of us using these and we both have a tendency to get tangled from time to time.

So far, I have tied the following, all on n-gauge.

Drennan SF3 0.4 5lb x 4
Drennan SF2 0.6 5lb x 3
Drennan SF2 0.3 5lb x 3

No hooklength on winders, but I intend them to be 8" of 3lb n-gauge to a size 16 or 18 b911. Baits will be small flake, corn, 4mm pellet and maggot.

I read some advice on here which suggested that it's unwise to go for too many different types of float, which I can see the logic of. My intention is to tie one extra of the 0.6 and 0.3 so I have 4 of each rig, but that leaves me capacity for 12 more rigs. I'd like to flesh out the selection appropriately but I'm not sure what to choose. I suppose I'm looking at an additional 3 patterns or weights to give 12 rigs total.

Would anyone mind helping me fill my remaining winders with something to improve our options? I'd welcome any advice as I'm way outside of my comfort zone on this.

Cheers

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
First question that springs to mind is why do you want a wider variety? Personally I would just add more of the same. Four rigs between two people who tend to get tangles is not that many.

I am an advocate of keeping rig choices simple, certainly for beginners. When adding new patterns/sizes ask yourself what their intended use will be as different to the rigs you already have. If you don't know the answer then you don't need the new rigs.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
First question that springs to mind is why do you want a wider variety? Personally I would just add more of the same. Four rigs between two people who tend to get tangles is not that many.

I am an advocate of keeping rig choices simple, certainly for beginners. When adding new patterns/sizes ask yourself what their intended use will be as different to the rigs you already have. If you don't know the answer then you don't need the new rigs.

Thanks Neil, I see your point. Do you think what I have would cover typical basic still water fishing?

One thing I wasn't sure of is the use of corn as bait. It's so heavy, I cant imagine fishing it on the 0.3 for example. I was imagining that the 0.4's would be the workhorses for your average calmish day in shallow water, but could such a small float support corn, or should I use under-shotted 0.6's instead, or even bigger?

Shotting pattern wise, I've used stotz (again, thanks to a post on here) so they are moveable and I've been looking into various different methods. The rigs are all tied with a standard bulk pattern with a couple of 11 droppers at the moment, but as all are moveable, I didnt think that would be a problem and it did speed up the process of tying.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I would suggest having a read of my blog on the subject if you haven't already.

You will see from that that your rig selection should be fine. I regularly fish corn on a 0.2g float. Bait makes no difference to me on float choice. All floats can be made to work with any bait.

The capacity of the float has no bearing on the bait used, or vice versa. If on the deck the bait has little effect once the float is shotted correctly. The only effect will be whether the bait anchors the rig or can be pulled along by the rig/tow/wind.

richox12

Same as Neil. Keep it simple and just duplicate what you have. And tie some hooks !!

If you want to fish corn off of the bottom on any of the SF floats then you'll need to under shot them a fair bit as they have very fine tips. You can fish corn on a 0.1g float if it's sat on the bottom (wind & tow allowing). Or use a float with a much more buoyant tip (yet more rigs !!).

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Same as Neil. Keep it simple and just duplicate what you have. And tie some hooks !!

If you want to fish corn off of the bottom on any of the SF floats then you'll need to under shot them a fair bit as they have very fine tips. You can fish corn on a 0.1g float if it's sat on the bottom (wind & tow allowing). Or use a float with a much more buoyant tip (yet more rigs !!).

Understood. Theres plenty of other bait options and I do have a couple of fat tipped pre-tied carp rigs we could use for corn. I'll stick to the SF series since thats what I plumped for originally (somewhat blindly). I liked the interchangeable tips, very handy.

I've just ordered enough to fill out my box so we'll have 6 of each in 0.3, 0.4, 0.6 and 0.8. I hope that'll do us.

Fred Davis

If i was you I would keep it simple, you say mainly fishing for silvers then a chianti or slim body float with a carbon stem is the one to go for, it will enable you to hang on to the float as it cocks and also see at what depth you should be fishing and also hit more bites, why carbon stem? apart from fishing through the water well you get a lot less tangles with carbon than you will with wire.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
If i was you I would keep it simple, you say mainly fishing for silvers then a chianti or slim body float with a carbon stem is the one to go for, it will enable you to hang on to the float as it cocks and also see at what depth you should be fishing and also hit more bites, why carbon stem? apart from fishing through the water well you get a lot less tangles with carbon than you will with wire.

The 0.4's I got are SF3's which I think are carbon stem with quite a slim profile (y)

I did do a little bit of reading before buying stuff but from all you guys are saying, I've got a bit of a confidence boost in the choices I made.

I also nicked a tip from some match professional and used a longer bit of silicon for the bottom rubber, seemed to work well at deflecting the line away from the stem when I tested it.