Pole Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

quivertip

phil
Now being a miserable, synical old git i swore i would never ever use a pole let alone buy one!.
i'm 57 and have been fishing for the best part of 50 of those years and have managed fine and caught some fantastic fish without one..
So what did i do?.. bought a middy white knuckle margin pole last weekend, pre-elasticated with 12 in one kit and 24 in the other, a guy who i have been fishing with sort of talked me around to the idea.
" i'm not spending a stupid amount of money on a bit of carbon with flamin laccy 'anging out the end" i retorted!
so off we went on monday, i set up my rod as usual, where's yer pole then? me mate said, can't be arsed with that i said..
anyway he drags it out of my bag and virtually forces me to use it.
first put in with a lump of paste and wheyyyyy!!!!!
christ that pole bent, white laccy shot out and to my great surprise and i should think the carp that was hanging on the other end as well it came to a sort of controlled slow down and then came back my way.. bloody brilliant fun, i was cackling like an old hen, broke the pole down to the top 3 and then the buggar was mine, a lovely linear carp of around 9lbs and the best bit of fun i've had landing a fish for an era..
" 'ere this pole lark aint bad is it"... my mate said nowt, just a smirk as his laccy shot out and another carp was on..
i spose you'll want a better and longer one now...
hmmm? where's me cheq book[:D]
As the saying goes don't knock it till you tried it[:)]

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome to the dark side Phil. starwars.gif

multiplex

i think that most off us have said i wouldnt spend that kind off money on one off those until we buy a cheap one find out how good it is and as you say where is my credit card , spend a small fortune and the first piece of kit out of the bag next time fishing is your second mortgage which you love more than the missues!!

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Made me chuckle that as I remember saying the same thing myself few years ago, i've had a few poles since then but i still like getting the feeder rod out aswell ...

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Strange though that I have been fishing almost as long as Quivertip yet I have used a pole most of that time starting with 6/7 metre glassfibre Lercs back in the 70s. Perhaps it has something to do with venues. Most of my early fishing was on the Lee and Thames where the pole was king.

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
I must admit I really couldn't see the point of fishing the pole. It looks unnatural, cumbersome and awkward but I thought I'd give it a go, and now I'm a convert. Cracking fun especially when you catch your first fish and it turns out to be a lump and you look down in horror and realise that the pole ain't got a reel to tame it!

Brilliant fun!

rikstaparr

As all the above say........I agree....I have only been fishing for 5 years and have owned a pole for 4 of those, but only used it late last year!! I wasn't familiar with how to set it up or use it for that matter, but after a little patience and the buzz of the 'play' I am now well and truly hooked on pole fishing. That said, I ALWAYS take me rods with me too!!!!......

Cooky

I have went the other way and went back to the rod and reel and sold my pole and seat box and bought a korum deluxe chair

maybe one day i might go back to a pole,i do still have a 7m middy margin pole

bigp27

Big Pete
Take my pole every time I go fishing but havn't had it out of the holdall for about a year, been using the waggler and feeder rods all the time, must get it out next time I go and see if I remember how to use it propperly.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
In match fishing, the pole is almost an essential part of your armoury these days[:0]

I must admit to be being mainly a pole angler these days, but still have the odd "urge" to get the rods out.

The more styles and tactics you have under your belt, the more fish you ll catch IMO[:D]

Have fun Quivertip[:T]

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The reason the pole is essential in match fishing is that it will catch you more fish most of the time.

Given that even on a pleasure session I want to catch fish I will almost always use the pole. Even pleasure fishing I want to catch. But yes there are times I will use the rod just for a change. Or when tactics dictate. No pole is going to work when the target fish are 40 yds out in the middle of the lake.

arkon

I'm the same have had a pole for years and never realy used it... But recently found that the pole is the way to go on ponds...

Still use the rod on rivers though as up here its trout and eels.... [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.