Pole fishing - order of setting up

SUFC

Daft question, but what order do you set up when pole fishing on the canal (or commercial for that matter)? For me it's something like:
1 Choose a spot and set up seat box
2 Mix groundbait
3 Setup keepnet and landing net
4 Set up pole, select rig & plumb depth
5 Cup in balls of groundbait
6 Put hookbait on and start fishing.

Just wondering if you use this order or if there's a more time efficient way to set up. Cheers

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’d swap 2 for 3 - learnt the hard way that the first thing to set up & last to take down is a keepnet but otherwise it all looks fine

MrBen

Site Supporter
Seatbox, level it then add all attachments. Pick top kits out lengths and elastic ratings to what I think the day will be. Rollers, then the pole. Then sort out final roller positions.

if I’m using groundbait I’ve mixed it at home normally. If I’m using 2mm feed pellets, they get soaked on the bank.
Time doing plumbing up is never wasted, checking the depths, flatness of area and most importantly what the bottom feels like (with the plummet not the hands like Hancock)

SUFC

Time doing plumbing up is never wasted, checking the depths, flatness of area and most importantly what the bottom feels like (with the plummet not the hands like Hancock)
😆 LOL, I think Hancock's got a different interpretation of 'Hands, Face, Space'.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
I’d swap 2 for 3 - learnt the hard way that the first thing to set up & last to take down is a keepnet but otherwise it all looks fine

If you mean Landing Net then, yes, absolutely. First thing I set up after choosing my swim and last thing I take down. Like you, I learned the hard way!

SUFC

If you mean Landing Net then, yes, absolutely. First thing I set up after choosing my swim and last thing I take down. Like you, I learned the hard way!
Now I'm curious...what went wrong when you both 'learnt the hard way' regarding the keepnet?

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Now I'm curious...what went wrong when you both 'learnt the hard way' regarding the keepnet?

For me, it was a reel. Sat on box, fitting reel to rod, dropped reel, bounced once, SPLASH! Now I always set up my landing net first! It's all too easy to drop something in when tackling up or tackling down.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I used to fish a lot of matches - set up for an evening match, all in, almost immediately hooked a really good bream around 5lbs and got it to my feet before I realised I hadn’t put up my landing net.

Tried desperately to do it one handed but ended up losing the fish and finishing out of the money by less than 2lb

Embarrassing and expensive - won’t do that again ever.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Seat nice and level.
Landing net set up and to hand.
See to groundbait (normally mixed the night before).
Pole out.
Pole put back. (can't be bothered with it)
Bait waiter set up and loaded (tubs of bait and catty).
Tip rod out.
Waggler set up ready for some proper fishing.

SUFC

Those of you preparing groundbait the night before (I've never done that before, I've always done that at bankside)... I'm assuming you're just adding tap water to it. Is that right? Don't suppose it makes that much difference to be honest.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Those of you preparing groundbait the night before (I've never done that before, I've always done that at bankside)... I'm assuming you're just adding tap water to it. Is that right? Don't suppose it makes that much difference to be honest.
I use lake water, it's only 10 mins away from me. I'm down there anyway doing my rounds so I just fill a large pop bottle. I don't know if I'm right or wrong but the way I look at it is that the fish swim in it so they're used to it. I don't use tap water because of the chlorine and other stuff in it might put the fish off.

Just my way of doing things.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
No difference at all. If it bothered me I would use rainwater from one of my four barrels.

To be honest I seem to set up in a different order every time. As long as I am good to go at the all in then it makes no difference.

chris1967

Site Supporter
i once chucked a brand new landing net head in ,took my nets out of bag threw keepnet out without realizing i had hold of landing net as well "doh "

MrBen

Site Supporter
I use water out my rain butts.

adriang

Site Supporter
I set up a landing net very early on, and take it down last, just in case something ends up in the drink, I can use it to try and get it out.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Depends what you want from your groundbait, I generally prefer to mix on the day, but traditionally bream groundbaits would be mixed the night before to make them ‘inert’, personally, on commercials I don’t think it does any harm to have a little bit of liveliness in the GB, fish often don’t want to be rooting a round in the silt, cupping in loose, active GB is a tactic that works well for skimmers on commercials.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Most important is to get my seatbox set up so that I'm comfortable and with everything I need to hand. I'll happily spend an extra couple of minutes getting everything just-so. Your back will thank you for it at the end of a session. ;)

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@chris1967 I've done that to,
Box set up level,
Landing net, keepnet
Any bait prep,
side tray and bait on side tray.
Then rods or pole or both ( ps I don't pole)