Pole fishing issues...

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Today was my first day using a pole. 8m Middy White Knuckle Thriller Margin Pole.

And I struggled a bit to be honest. Caught a few fish, mainly skimmers and roach, but couldn’t really get comfortable if that makes sense?

I was perching sort of sideways on my chair (no seat box), and using my hold-all instead of a roller, but twisting my head sideways to watch the float made my neck hurt after a couple of hours, and now my right shoulder is pretty sore.

I was fishing 8m, straight in front, knees pointing at 2 o’clock, shipping back to 5 o’clock. Right elbow on end of pole, weight of the pole on my left thigh.

Probably bad seating position, or bad technique I would imagine, although I tried to replicate how I’ve seen the pro’s do it.

Probably made worse by not getting a bite in 3 hours of method feeder this afternoon....

Question to regular pole anglers..... When you started did you get aches and pains? And what advice would you have for a novice in terms of seating position?

Thanks in advance

Stewie

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Have a read of my blog on the subject. towards the bottom is a link to a video showing how to sit and hold the pole. But I really cannot stress enough that I don't believe you can fish a pole efficiently and comfortably on a chair.

pies

Site Supporter
No1 if fishing the pole get a box
No2 see above

you need to be stable when fishing the pole,your feet should touch the ground, not so much that your almost squatting.
knees to 2 ship back to 5 is fine

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Today was my first day using a pole. 8m Middy White Knuckle Thriller Margin Pole.

And I struggled a bit to be honest. Caught a few fish, mainly skimmers and roach, but couldn’t really get comfortable if that makes sense?

I was perching sort of sideways on my chair (no seat box), and using my hold-all instead of a roller, but twisting my head sideways to watch the float made my neck hurt after a couple of hours, and now my right shoulder is pretty sore.

I was fishing 8m, straight in front, knees pointing at 2 o’clock, shipping back to 5 o’clock. Right elbow on end of pole, weight of the pole on my left thigh.

Probably bad seating position, or bad technique I would imagine, although I tried to replicate how I’ve seen the pro’s do it.

Probably made worse by not getting a bite in 3 hours of method feeder this afternoon....

Question to regular pole anglers..... When you started did you get aches and pains? And what advice would you have for a novice in terms of seating position?

Thanks in advance

Stewie
It is difficult to get comfy pole fishing in a chair . Ideally you need to be sat upright with your legs at about 90 degrees from your body and your seat slightly leaning forward . Watch Tommy Pickering on seatbox set up youtube and see if you can adjust his method to fishing from a chair . A roller would be a advantage to .

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Box over chair for me too. Tops of thighs need to make a 90 angle to your body when say and with the weight through your legs- achieved by having the back of the box slightly higher than the front.

Have tried the chair before and is okish for a short go, but not a session imo. I think the softness and give in a chair makes it impossible to get the right position.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Have a read of my blog on the subject. towards the bottom is a link to a video showing how to sit and hold the pole. But I really cannot stress enough that I don't believe you can fish a pole efficiently and comfortably on a chair.

Thanks Neil, will take a look. Maybe
Santa might bring me a seat box for being a good boy this year
Box over chair for me too. Tops of thighs need to make a 90 angle to your body when say and with the weight through your legs- achieved by having the back of the box slightly higher than the front.

Have tried the chair before and is okish for a short go, but not a session imo. I think the softness and give in a chair makes it impossible to get the right position.
Thanks Northantslad, I think this maybe where I went wrong.
No1 if fishing the pole get a box
No2 see above

you need to be stable when fishing the pole,your feet should touch the ground, not so much that your almost squatting.
knees to 2 ship back to 5 is fine
Cheers Pies, thinking back I think I may have been squatting slightly due to the give in the chair

bettsfan

Ouch you're gonna be sore in the morning (luckily no Golf though)

Chairs are generally much too low for the Pole, even with a Seatbox it takes a while to get the technique suitable for you. It can't only be me that watch people fish at 16mtrs in envy as they make it look so simple. I personally think you would have been better to start at 6 metres and take it from there.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Ouch you're gonna be sore in the morning (luckily no Golf though)

Chairs are generally much too low for the Pole, even with a Seatbox it takes a while to get the technique suitable for you. It can't only be me that watch people fish at 16mtrs in envy as they make it look so simple. I personally think you would have been better to start at 6 metres and take it from there.
Yes, I’d reached the conclusion that I my have gone a bit gung-ho at full length straight away, and that an 8m pole doesn’t have to be fished at 8m.....

out again in the morning, can’t decide whether to have another go on the pole or stick to the feeder

bettsfan

Damn decisions Stewie LOL Stick with the feeder and drip feed a little into a margin spot and you can try the Pole short there for a little while later ?

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Damn decisions Stewie LOL Stick with the feeder and drip feed a little into a margin spot and you can try the Pole short there for a little while later
I’ll be fishing 7-12 only tomorrow, so that might be a good call, cheers ?

turnpike

Yes, I’d reached the conclusion that I my have gone a bit gung-ho at full length straight away, and that an 8m pole doesn’t have to be fished at 8m.....

out again in the morning, can’t decide whether to have another go on the pole or stick to the feeder
This is key. Poles take getting used to without all sections on. If my Drennan 11m is anything to go by its fine but suddenly much harder when you put the last section on.

Don't think I ever tried with a chair. Bought pole and seatbox same time.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
My fishing buddy always uses a chair but then again, he never fishes the long pole. He normally fishes topkit plus two or three. I suppose that's okay with a chair. Can imagine it would be awkward with 10m plus of pole being shipped back & forth.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
(......adds seatbox to long list of imminent purchases and promises to hide last section of pole for a while.....)

You won’t regret a box with attachments, it makes a session so much easier in the long run and a fair few have back attachments available too so they feel more chair like.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Ooh, I like the look of this one