Pole Fishing For The Cuddly Angler

GingUK

Hi all

So as the title suggests i'm on the cuddly side of life and i tend to fish a lot of matches when i can. The problem i have is that due to my size i find it hard to have the pole across both my legs to hold it properly. I have two possible solutions and was wanting peoples opinions

1. Is to get a clever claw to assist in holding the pole across one leg but has anyone used this and if so how good is it.

2. my other option is to become a rod and line man however my main interest is matches and would like to know how available feeder matches are in comparison to other matches where mainly people use poles.

any other opinions or options would also be appreciated. i love my fishing and would hate to have to stop.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I genuinely don’t understand.

when would you need to hold it across both legs? I’m right handed and have only ever held it roughly along the line of my right thigh? I’ve never used a bump bar, although I rarely fish beyond 14.5m

like at 9:50 in this video ...

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
A lad used to fish with us and he was winning every week and then he broke his number 4 section and couldn't afford to replace it for several weeks. He started fishing the waggler and he still kept winning.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Sit at right angles to the water and lay the pole across both thighs.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
A Clever Claw will do what you want, just takes a while to get used to it and set up. Have a read of this old post of mine. ;)

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
You get more support, we all fished like that in the early days of pole fishing when they weighd half a ton at 11 metres. I just thought that GingUK might benefit.
To be fair Dave, it was the OP who suggested that holding the pole across both legs is “properly” ... i was simply saying that it’s not the way that most anglers I’ve seen would do it. Therefore perhaps GingUK is trying to do it wrong ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
If its across both legs ?

and across one is right

its a definate case of ........................................................ dah dah dah daaaaaaah

two wrongs dont make a right !

GingUK

I genuinely don’t understand.

when would you need to hold it across both legs? I’m right handed and have only ever held it roughly along the line of my right thigh? I’ve never used a bump bar, although I rarely fish beyond 14.5m

like at 9:50 in this video ...
at 10:50 is how i was always told was the correct way to hold the pole and lift your left leg to strike which is what ive always done

GingUK

A lad used to fish with us and he was winning every week and then he broke his number 4 section and couldn't afford to replace it for several weeks. He started fishing the waggler and he still kept winning.
as much as id like to agree that waggler is good, i do believe pole can outspeed a rod and line and in a match that makes a difference. but to be fair ive never gone to one of my usual matches as fished waggler but neither does anyone else lol .

Gaz9243

wow haven't thought or tried this idea ever. and its so simple i can have this sorted by next week.

Tbf it is as simple as that. Don’t bother with a pre planned diet, or slimming world style diets, as they generally don’t last. There’s a few Facebook groups you could join. Have a look at team rh fitness, no bull rubbish, straight, and honest, and regarded highly in that world