Pole Fishing Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcurtis

I have recently become the proud owner of a 12.5m Maver Grim Reaper Pole - which I will be trying out for the first time on a local Carp Puddle (Decoy Lakes in Whittlesey Nr Peterborough - IMHO perfect practice ground). I would appreciate any tips anyone can give me on using said pole (which I did research before buying). And it has been set up for me using a size 10 elastic.

Tips I know so far:

Practice using lesss than full length for a start until you are used to the pole (9m?).

When playing fish, don't point the pole at the fish, hold it above and let the elastic do the work.

Thanks very much

Martin Curtis

Thats a start Martin put fishing takes some getting use to. A very good book to buy is Bob Nudds pole guide to pole fishing. Hmm think thats what it's called, but anyway its very good i learnt alot from it. A few things i found very useful were:
Some pole hooks for my octoplus kit a pole seat for me box and a foot plate. One thing you'll find with using a pole is that it kills your back. So making sure your sat right for a good bag session is a very good idea.
Get some elastic lub' at it helps you stop bumping fish plus makes sure the elastic goes back in the pole. Something else i found very useful was Teflon spray on the joints as it makes shipping and unshipping dead easy. Oh yeah a pole roller is a must have don't leave home with out one.
Try to make your own rigs up as ive found a lot of the ready made ones let you down when you least won't them to.
A cupping kit is very useful and a set of small bait droppers is useful to.
Ill have to find out if ive got the name of that book right.
But get it it's very helpful. icon_smile_approve.gif

www.tjsangling.co.uk
stickfloatking@tjsangling.co.uk

mcurtis

Thanks,

I was on the look out for a decent book - so I will find it. I am sure if I look up Bob Nudd on Amazon I wil find it. Can't go wrong with Bob Nudd really can you?

Martin

mcurtis

Actually,

The illustrated Guide to Pole Fishing by Bob Nudd is there, so I assume that is the one - but he also has a pole fishing DVD coming out in late August - so I might wait for that.

Martin

scouse

'River Man'
hi martin
if you dont want to go to the expence
of elastic lub you can make your own by simply
use some hair conditioner and water
if you want to make your own floats invest in a
dosa piombo all you do is put the float in the locking divice
and add shot or styles on the collar till float is at right depth
then put float and the right amount of shot or styles on your line
then mark your winder with the shot you have used
hope this helps

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

martin.

Account Locked
hi martin c
if your fishing decoy fit the heaviest lacy your pole will take or sit well away from anyone as they will just run you all over the lake. i only live 15m from there & have never fished it but have got some friends that fish the matches 3 times a week try going down 1 day & watching the others fish .
if your just starting on pole it may pay you to go to kingsland just up the road from decoy one of the lakes there is mainly silver fish
&it would pay you to practice there first or there is a new lake just up the road from me that is suitable for a 10 lacy
if you want to give me a ring sometime ill arrange a day there with you to give a bit of help.
mobile No is 07880 663192

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Edited by - martin. on 14 August 2002 08:17:42 AM
by the way welcome to the mad MDs
if you ever fancy going to any of the fishins there is normally room in my motor .

Edited by - martin. on 14 August 2002 08:46:55 AM

martin.

Account Locked
hi martin c
have just spoken to my mates that fish decoy & they all use 20 lacy
they havesaid youll just get smashed up on 10 lacy as there animals in there.
if you need any local advice you can ring or email me just click on my profile at top

tight lines.
martin.

mcurtis

Actually,

I live about 300 yards from Decoy and have fished it quite alot - albeit not recently because it is a bit "money for old rope".

There are a number of lakes at Decoy and two in particular have some big fish in, Beastie and Horseshoe, the others are a little different. I fished Lous lake with my pole yesterday and it was perfect. Pulled out lots of fish around the 1/2lb to a 1lb and had one of 3lb - which is what I expected. I used a size 10 elastic and really enjoyed my day. Actually the bit I didn't expect to find trouble with was working out the right length of rig to use, I used a 4m rig for a start and it was a perfect length for swinging in and baiting up etc - but it meant there was too much free line between the pole and the float, which was a pain when the wind got up, so I settled on 3m in the end.

As for the fish ins, having noticed from elsewhere that Martin lives in Tydd and that there are occasionl fish in-ins in that area, I am very interested. I also have a yearning to get away from Carp-puddles a litte - I do tend to fish them a little too much. (My normal venue is a place called the Railway Lakes in Whittlesey which has a decent head of Carp in the big lake, average size about 6lb and a smaller lake with a bigger variety).

As I live in the Fens I really should get out and fish the drains, but I shy away a bit because of a lack of knowledge.

Thanks all for your support.

Martin Curtis

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Martin,
Keep it clean.Nothing harms a pole like mud and grit.
Leave the end cap on or get some skid bungs to fit the end of your pole.

Always use a pole roller.Not only does it make for easier shipping in and out,but it keeps the pole off the ground,but out of the mucky stuff.

Also get yourself a tulip front rest to hold your pole once you've broken down,again it keeps those joints away from the dirt.

And above all,HAVE FUN!

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

martin.

Account Locked
hi martin c
sorry for what i put then i have never fished it but my friends only mention the big fish lakes to me so i thought it was all like that.
anyway if you fancy a day on our drain the north level or maybe a day on one of the others if im available ill gladly share my knoledge with you just give me a bell,if you havnt got transport dont worry
we can sort that out
glad you had succsess with our new pole

tight lines.
martin.

Edited by - martin. on 16 August 2002 12:34:09 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.