Pole Fishing Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mant01

I recently got into pole fishing and have been out 2 times to date and although I catch Im not doing anywhere near what I normally do with a rod. It just seems so limiting without any major benefits.
I know about getting you bait and feed in the same place etc. but my pole is 9 meters and I can do that pretty well on a rod at that distance.
Also on a rod I feel you have more control of the fish and I seem to hit the bites better as well. Im I missing something?

dstev

Dave
Not sure how you can drop the bait in the same place with a rod at 9 metres.

How light are you fishing on the pole? One of the main benefits is that you can fish as light as coniditions allow you to. If theres no wind or undertow I use a 4x8 pole float that may only take one number 8 and a number 10. For me it is easier to hit bites. Are you using a short length between your pole tip and float? You shouldn't need anymore than a couple of foot maximum between the tip and the float. As soon as a fish bites a quick sharp striker diagonally upwards hooks the fish for me then I play it accordingly. I can understand how you may feel more in control on the rod due to the elastic doing more work, but you can get away with a lighter line than you could on a rod as the elastic takes some of the force.

pole addict

It's all about practise, learning and having confidence in what you're doing.

There's loads of threads on MD's about pole fishing techniques.
Use the search feature.

In brief, the benefits are the improved presentation because you can use lighter floats and shotting.

More accurate than a rod and line, particularly when fishing to a feature, or even an underwater feature such as a ledge or bar.

Fish as short a length of line from pole tip to float as you can control, 6-8 inches is ideal, and you will hit far more bites than with a waggler.

The more you use your pole the more competent you will become and have better control and presentation of your bait.

There's a lot more to it than just plopping in your rig and sitting and waiting.

Good luck, it's worth the effort. [:T]

groundhog

Life Survivor
[:)] Biggest Mistake most pole newbies make, is they try to strike with the pole the same as they do with a rod, striking when using a pole simply means lifting into the fish by raising the pole tip a couple of inches, try it[;)] you will hook more of the bites, chances are if you strike like you would with a rod, you are snatching the bait and hook out of the fishes mouth, Resulting in more missed bites.[:T]

davebike

What type of fishing? are you targeting carp or silvers?
I mainly target silvers and the pole is way ahead of using a rod.
You can fish close to features and even the other side of lilly beds bringing your catch out and around ! You can only pull towards you with a rod!

I expect as your new to the pole you would gain a lot by finding another angler fishing the same venue,with a pole and asking what he is using, it is a very different set of skills to using a rod and the end tackle needs to be different
As a pole beginner the ready made rigs if from a good make are OK but there is rubbish out there! I find well made rig as delicate as possible is the key to silvers
I am no carp expert so if that is your target I leave to others

masterrod

my advice start close in thn work ya way out,its much easier in the margins to hit a bite thn at 9 meters to start with

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
To be honest at 9 metres you are probably not experiencing the full benefits of a pole.

For example yesterday I was fishing 13 metres to a margin swim and putting the bait 6 inches from the reeds. As I was putting the pole parallel to the bank it would have been impossible to cast even in the direction. Obviously with only 9 metres at your disposal this swim would have been impossible to fish.

One area where a pole of any length comes into its own is the ability to fish ultra light floats as for example on a canal with bristle topped floats. Try casting a 0.1/0.2g float on a rod. Landing larger fish is certainly quicker with a pole correctly set with the right elastic/line combination. I have proved this to myself by switching between waggler and pole while fishing for carp in the 2lb bracket and that was with my first carbon pole - 10 metres. I would agree that probably when fishing for roach at 9 metres the rod may be as quick as the pole. But you should be getting and hitting more bites with the pole due to the delicacy, accuracy and striking speed.

It is certainly easier to use baits like pellet and paste on a pole.

Tell us a bit more about your fishing, species, size etc. and we will try and offer more targeted advice to get you catching on the pole.

mant01

Hi again [:)] Thanks for all the advice. Im not really targeting any species really although I prefer to catch carp and tench. I stopped going to the max pole length and started fishing around 6 meters out next to lillys last time.
I just couldnt seem to hit the bites even when the fish fully had the bait and althougth I caught an ok amount of fish. I felt on a rod I would have done better as I know how to do it and get into a nice rhythm which I just couldnt seem to get into. For example 2 problems I had was whilst shipping back the fish coming off the hook even though I was trying to do it smooth and 2nd was my float would go under and shoot off, Id lift up and theres nothing there. I must be pulling the hook out the fishes mouth but Im making sure not to strike hard and just lift.
It seemed like a catch 22 situation, if I strike with a little force the hook comes out and If I dont I loose the fish bringing it in.
I must say I was ready to put the pole at the back of the cupboard and forget about it and go back to what I know. But I hate giving up on something so I'll be back out on saturday trying to figure this out (may take my rod with me just incase things go really bad though lol).

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Sounds like an elastic problem. For most tench a size 8-10 should be more than adequate unless they are monsters. You are looking for a tension that will set the hook and then allow elastic to come out of the pole while shipping back. This way you should keep constant tension and not allow the hook to come loose. It sounds like you may have too heavy elastic or set too tight so that any non-smooth movement of the pole tip is allowing slack line. I frequently land small skimmers using an 18-20 elastic while carp fishing. it really is about developing a smooth technique and keeping a supple wrist/arm.

As for sail away bites you can't hit then this may be small fish running with a large bait or liners. You almost certainly will not be pulling bait out of the mouth of a fish. Once a fish has food in its mouth it will close up and not want to let it go. That's why you can hit bites with hooks buried in baits like meat and paste. Either try a smaller hook and bait or let the bite develop to the point that the fish pulls elastic out of the pole.

At 6m on a lake in calm conditions you should have a maximum 12 inches and preferably less of line between pole and float. Float should be dotted down as far as possible.

mant01

The elastic is the one that came with the pole. They didnt know what the elastic strength was in at the shop so I asked on a forum and they said it was on an advert as 14 to 16. I do land small fish though and normally use either a size 16 or 18 hook. So is the elastic (if it is a 14) way too much and possibly causing the problem?
Just incase anyone knows the strength of the elastic for certain in my pole its a Leeda 9.2m metre Fishing Carp Match Pole. Again thanks for the help!

Last edited:

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Neils got a point with the elastic settings Mant[;)]

Pole fishing really is very easy, but like anything new to you, at first you will find it awkward and strange, maybe even difficult.

Ive been lucky, as when I was a kiddie, roach Poles were just starting to come into the mainstream, so ive sort of grown up with poles.

Anyhow, to the point.
All the above advice given is about spot on, but I will add my tuppence worth on elastics and general pole usage.[:D] (Not that Im an expert you understand[:I])

Elastics.
Its a funny old game these days. Many moons ago, you could litterally get one elastic for poles.

Slowly over the years, different "grades" were introduced by a few top named companies, but again, the choice was rather limited.

Fast forward to now, and its a minefield[:0]

Solids, latex, hydro's, hollows, doubled up solids............Take your pick from what must now be dozens of different companies eyepop.gif

Your choice of make is personal. You will probably try a handful before settling on one or maybe 2 manufacturers and types that suit you and your needs, but there is a knack to setting it correctly for different situations and venues.

Im not sure how your pole is set up, so will tell you how I, and many others tend to set up.

Starting with bungs.
I always use a winder/stora bung. this type of bung enables you to keep more elastic in your top kit than you need and lets you adjust the tension of the elastic by simply winding more onto the bung to tighten it up, or unravelling a few turns to slacken it off.

Setting the tension really is a case of trial and error, as different fish call for a slightly different tension, but the general rule of thumb is that you tension it to the point that wnen you pull the connector at the tip oout a foot or so, when you let go, most of it should retract quickly, but the last couple of inches should just creep back slowly on its own.

This way, when you "strike" into a fish, you will have a few inches where the elastic cushions the strike, but after a few inches it will start to pull back a bit more on the fish gradually, sort of acting like the clutch on a reel when you set it slack for the take, but as the fish pulls away you tighten the drag.

As I said, pole fishing is very easy, and I know it sounds complicated, but it isnt honestly[;)]

I would suggest trying to adjust the tension a little, probably slackening it off a wind or two, as alot of the time, when you are bumping fish off on the strike, its down to pulling too hard too quickly.

Neil is right with the grade for Tench, a 8-10 is a nice soft laccy, but should have enough backbone in it to stop the hard runs they make.
If you re specifically targetting larger fish like tench and carp most of the time, then personally I would look at maybe giving a hollow elastic a try.
Ive been using the Middy Shockcore 12-16 for a few years now, and it suits me for fish from 2lb upto double figures. Its a soft elastic and initial runs of the fish can (to others amusement in my case[:eek:)]) seem a bit daunting, but it soon pulls back on them nicely.

Im always of the thinking of taking my time and making sure I get them in the net rather than trying to bully them and losing them.....lost fish dont count[;)]

Hope my ramblings havent bored you too much.

Steve.[:D]

mant01

Thanks for all the info. The tension must be too tight then because If I catch something small the elastic never comes out at all. Its only over a pound where it will pop out and then spring straight back in the pole. Theres none of the slow movement you discribe for the last little bit. I'll have a look and see if I can change it. The elastic is through the first 2 sections and Ive never seen a way to get the bung out though so is there a way to do it?

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
I dont know who elasticated it for you, so wouldnt know what make/type of bug you have in it, so can only assume that there will be a little plastic "rod" that goes into the bung in the end of the pole and screws into it so you can take it out.

If you had it elasticated by a shop, it might be worth giving them a shout and asking what they put in it for you.[;)]

Failing that, you could always just buy a winder bung and then redo it yourself, or just take it into a shop and ask them nicely if they would do it for you, and let you see it so you get a better idea of how its done[:T] Any shop worth its salt will be happy to do it for you, although they may charge you a couple of quid for the fitting[:T]

mant01

The pole didnt come with anything to help take the bung bit out and it was just a general store and not a proper fishing place. I'll have a look and if no joy take it along to fishing republic or something. Thanks again

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Try using a length of wire like a coat hanger with the end turned over to make a hook. Insert that from the bottom and see if you can withdraw the bung with the hook.

Now different manufacturers use different methods of extracting the bung. Some have male or female screw threads on an extractor rod, others have lugs on that engage into the bung like a key in a lock.

There are videos on youtube that show how to elasticate a pole, there may even be an explanation and video in the Tackle Talk section on here. It's a simple task but you do need the right tools.

Cooky

where abouts are you Mant i have some number 5 or 6 elastic if you want me to elasticate it for you

mant01

Thats really nice of you mate but I managed to do it last night and put a number 8 in. I also bought a couple number 10s just incase the lillys cause problems. Again thanks I appreciate the offer.

Cooky

no probs

where have you been fishing,im thinking of going out tomorrow but undecided where to go

Status
Not open for further replies.