Pole elastics

david white

Site Supporter
Ok please go gently on me ! Although I’ve fished very occasionally with a pole for many years it’s all a bit alien to me
I’ve got an old Drennan pole spot on for roach and skimmers and what I’d call a canal style pole no 8 elastic max, I use 3 - 5 through top two and it does me fine
I’ve just bought a decent secondhand Browning 2ex-s ( ok not its not ‘ top end ‘ but it’s going to be more versatile then the drennan ) anyways it’s got 5 top kits all with side pullers ( or plain unused no puller fitted ) the tip section bores are slightly different so I’m guessing bigger bush equals bigger elastic but which
Solid
Hollow
Hybrid
Can I use a lighter elastic in the more powerful top kits ( I can’t see me using 18 - 20 elastic )
Also when using a side puller I’m guessing that once the elastic is damaged or ‘ old ‘ it’s stripped out and that’s it’s life done and dusted ( unlike my set up with a storage bung on the drennan ! )
Sorry if the questions seem daft but I’m trying to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks

Trent_Fisher

Ok please go gently on me ! Although I’ve fished very occasionally with a pole for many years it’s all a bit alien to me
I’ve got an old Drennan pole spot on for roach and skimmers and what I’d call a canal style pole no 8 elastic max, I use 3 - 5 through top two and it does me fine
I’ve just bought a decent secondhand Browning 2ex-s ( ok not its not ‘ top end ‘ but it’s going to be more versatile then the drennan ) anyways it’s got 5 top kits all with side pullers ( or plain unused no puller fitted ) the tip section bores are slightly different so I’m guessing bigger bush equals bigger elastic but which
Solid
Hollow
Hybrid
Can I use a lighter elastic in the more powerful top kits ( I can’t see me using 18 - 20 elastic )
Also when using a side puller I’m guessing that once the elastic is damaged or ‘ old ‘ it’s stripped out and that’s it’s life done and dusted ( unlike my set up with a storage bung on the drennan ! )
Sorry if the questions seem daft but I’m trying to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks
You will get a million and one different answers to your questions. The choice between hollow, solid and hybrid all really comes down to personal preference. Personally I like using hollow, I find it very versatile in conjunction with a puller. Keepnets direct do a great variety at a good price.

You absolutely can use lighter elastics in power kits. If you don’t already have one you could even convert one of the power kits into a cupping kit to help you feed more accurately.

With regards to old or damaged elastic this should always be replaced regardless of if you are using side pullers, puller bungs, winder bungs etc.

IanG1

Site Supporter
I always leave around six inch of elastic spare and use the grippa type beads, that way you don't have to change the first time the elastic perishes around the dacron and you can use some of the spare to re-tie. Useful when using the more expensive hybrids I have recently switched too for heavier grades. For cheap solids at £3 for 6metres I don't bother.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Light elastics in power kits will work well. Less bend means less elastic rubbing on the inside of the pole. Thus with less friction the elastic can work better.

As for the choice it is very much personal. I cannot seem to get on with soft hollows and pullas. But plenty do. Really the only thing to do is try the different choices and see which you prefer. I prefer the control a relatively heavy solid gives me.

This last Winter though I have been trying Nick Gilbert's Ultra Core with a side puller. Not sure if this is a hybrid but surprisingly I have got on with it well. Perhaps it has a little less stretch than hollow.

I find an elastic lasts for around six months. But that coincides with changing strengths for the changing seasons. And really many elastics are not that expensive.

Pclaret

Light elastics in power kits will work well. Less bend means less elastic rubbing on the inside of the pole. Thus with less friction the elastic can work better.

As for the choice it is very much personal. I cannot seem to get on with soft hollows and pullas. But plenty do. Really the only thing to do is try the different choices and see which you prefer. I prefer the control a relatively heavy solid gives me.

This last Winter though I have been trying Nick Gilbert's Ultra Core with a side puller. Not sure if this is a hybrid but surprisingly I have got on with it well. Perhaps it has a little less stretch than hollow.

I find an elastic lasts for around six months. But that coincides with changing strengths for the changing seasons. And really many elastics are not that expensive.
NG’s ultra core is a hybrid elastic, and does indeed have as much of not more stretch than hollow, I would guess that using a higher strength hybrid than you normally would hollow is giving you that impression, hybrid also tend to need plenty of lube.