Pole elastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
hi all,
when choosing an elastic for a pole does the make of an elastic matter?-if so what is good for canal and general pond fishing?

r k vickery

ray

hiya rob wave.gif make of elasic is a matter of personel choise, everybody will have there own reasons for the elastic they use, i use prestons "fluro slip" it does everything that i want and has never given me any problems, comes in size's from no2-16 and has pretty colours.

clean banks campaign 2002.....have you joined??

AlexR

personaly im not that bothered cos most of the are good. i think the most widley use ones are preston and vespe.

;)

MALC

Hi Rob
Personally i find that Preston Flouro is good from size 2 to 10 but it's to stretchy for me in the larger sizes.
For elastics above size 10 i tend to use Drennan.

Mostley now i choose my elastic in the same way as line by the dia as you will find if you check the packets that you can have 5 different makes with 5 different dia but all saying they are the same grade.

But as Ray says it's a personal thing.

ghost.gif ZIPPY CURSE CLUB MEMBER 001

bart4real

I have tried all the popular makes of elastic over the years but to be honest, I always use the elsatics with the most stretch. It is very much a personal choice with elastics because some anglers expect different things from their choice. I usually use number 12 for most of my carp fishing but at times I have used number 14. The only problem with the heavier grades is that carp tend to pull harder against the stronger elastics. For me, that is not something I want to occur as under match conditions, I don't like to be playing 'tug-o war' with them. I prefer them to come in with the minimum of fuss.

I don't think it is important how long it takes you to land carp on the pole, as long as they go in the net. There are too many anglers emphasising how quick they can land them on the pole but they usually forget to mention the six or seven that they have lost through trying to rush them. The rod and line methods are better for landing them quick because poles are designed to allow elastic to come out with ease. This is not always a good thing with carp, so at times, it is better to fish lighter grades and make everything count. If you look at a breakdown of weights over the 'ton', it is usually only 20 fish plus. That equates to around 4 fish per hour for a five hour match. It is usually the last hour when carp feed better and that is when more are hooked and subsequently lost... through rushing them!
If in doubt, fish with a lighter grade elastic and keep away from the gimmicks like Mullettos and Hydro-elastic. If you are having difficulty with hook pulls, it is probably the elastic and not the hook which is to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.