Pole elastic

Little bear

It's been 2 years of continuous use for some of my top kits so I'm going to change all of the elastic.
There's that many different makes available from Matrix slik, Preston Dura slip and the new drennan power pull etc etc my minds completely blown.
What's people's go to elastic and why so that I can get a better idea of which one will suit me.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Dura Slip for me but I’m guessing you’ll get as many recommendations are there are elastics on the market

D

Deleted member 23692

I’ve liked the drennan power pull in the lighter sizes for silver fishing, plus at the price it is for the 6m it’s a bit of a bargain. I’ve tried slik, I liked it but it discoloured, which I didn’t like. Preston Duraslip a very stretchy hybrid, if it wasn’t for the drennan this would be my first choice.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Nick Gilbert’s stuff is supposed to be pretty highly rated at a decent price. Haven’t used it myself as yet - I’m still working my way through the Drennan Carp Bungee I have left. I will be trying it when I’m in the market for more, though.

IanG1

Site Supporter
I use original slip up to 8 which covers all my silvers fishing and small carp and f1s, cheap as chips, lasts forever and never let me down. Above that I use duraslip but it's not as good value as it was so looking at MAP or Drennan come change time.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I like hybrids and have tried lots. Slik is different to MAP, Duraslip and Drennan (which are all very similar, but only limited sizes in Drennan tried so far). I think duraslip is great, when I got my new pole I used MAP stuff (as good as duraslip but cheaper). I’d probably go Drennan now as it’s as good but cheaper still and easy to get hold of as most shops have a Drennan account. Use diameters to compare these three.

2mm Drennan, 13 duraslip, MAP 12-14 are all comparable and great summer carp elastics for carp 1lb to doubles.
1.6mm Drennan, 9 duraslip, MAP 8-10 great mixed fishery and f1 elastic and my winter carp elastic.
1.2mm Drennan, 5 Duraslip, MAP 4-6 great for skimmers and roach
Ive got kits with hybrid 1.2mm, 1.4mm, 1.6mm, 1.8mm, 2mm, 2.2mm and 2.4mm

They are stretchy, but with the right one with balanced tackle you do have control.

mbuna_matt

Site Supporter
I have been using the MAP red hybrid (2mm / 12-14) this summer and have been very impressed with it so far, have had some good carp with no stress and some skimmers without any issues of bumping fish on the strike

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Should it be pointed out that there are different elastic types for top kits with and without side pullers? My top kits don't have side pullers, so I have to stick with ordinary elastic.

Little bear

Should it be pointed out that there are different elastic types for top kits with and without side pullers? My top kits don't have side pullers, so I have to stick with ordinary elastic.
I didn't know that. Mine all have side pullers so it's worth bearing in mind cheers

richox12

Why not ?? You can put any type in any kit - just match the strength/power& stretch to whatever it is you're doing

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Why not ?? You can put any type in any kit - just match the strength/power& stretch to whatever it is you're doing
If I put a hollow type elastic in my pole how am I supposed to land something that's pulling 5 yards out on a top 2. My landing net won't reach.

Reuben

Site Supporter
If I put a hollow type elastic in my pole how am I supposed to land something that's pulling 5 yards out on a top 2. My landing net won't reach.
You could put the elastic in tighter - that would reduce the amount of stretch or use a Pulla bung as already suggested. You could leave the 4th section in to land a fish too if required….

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Everyone is different when it comes to elastics
Let me open a can of worms

4 main types of elastic
Latex - IMO a great under rated elastic with good stretch - ( can be a pain to knot )
Old style elastic ( example Preston Slip / Middy Hi-Viz) - not as much stretch as latex so bottoms out quicker. Can be doubled.
Hollow - ( liquid filled = Hydro Elastic ) - lots of stretch, larger in diameter, can flatten and odd times bubble. Can make good catty elastic.
New Hybrid - Lots of stretch, seems to last but very little warning when it deteriorates.

Be careful about ratings as different manufactures can rate different thickness different
Top kit length ( ie length of elastic ) can also make a difference.
The venue can make a difference ( depth / snags / lake type (snake / open water / islands )
I tend to use an elastic that can just land the average sized fish without the aid of the puller. (But I mainly fish matches)

note list below is with a puller

In short power kits I like hybrids ( NG Ultra core ) in 2.6 2.4 and 2.2 ( bagging on commercial carp 3-6lb )
In short match kits I like hybrids (NG) in 1.8 and 1.4 (mixed fish commercials fish to 2-3lb with odd bonus )
In long kits I personalty find hybrids and hollows stretch to much. I could be alone in this.
In long power kits I like double Preston slip (no 8) or single Preston fluro latex ( no 14 ) (Carp 4-low doubles)
In long match kits I like double Preston slip (no 5) and (no 6) - IMHO these are perfect all round commercial elastics for F1's / carp with odd lump / larger silvers )
The river i fish is slow and deep so a puller is useless ( on a top 5 ) so I use a light hollow elastic in the No 2 only.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Drennan Power pull is decent enough, and a proper bargain. Been using it recently and quite frankly at £3 a kit you cannot go wrong. MAP Hybrid was supposed to be similarly priced which interested me initially but upon release could never find it at the advertised £6.99 they said it'd be.