Pole Elastic Rating Problem

BeadyRoller

Hi! So basically I am wanting to put some Matrix Slik 20-22 elastic in my Margin Pole (Maver Abyss X) which is meant to cope with 20+ elastic but with my current set up I think the elastic will be to thick.

IMG_20210427_134941897.jpg
At the moment I'm using an external bush and some Map 14-18 elastic and already looks like it doesn't have much room for something much thicker.

IMG_20210427_135047154.jpg IMG_20210427_135123556.jpg

I am using a pulla bung and the same can be said for that, doesn't look like it can really cope with something any thicker.

The top kits for his pole are telescoping so not sure a side pulla is even an option.

Is there a way you can suggest that I can get round this problem?

Cheers.

Total

Site Supporter
As it's a margin pole anyway, get rid of the hollows and use solid elastics. You can still use you pullers and it'll save cutting back your tips back anymore and the solids will be smaller in diameter......There's nothing wrong with the external bushes you are already using....(y)

BeadyRoller

As it's a margin pole anyway, get rid of the hollows and use solid elastics. You can still use you pullers and it'll save cutting back your tips back anymore and the solids will be smaller in diameter......There's nothing wrong with the external bushes you are already using....(y)
Thought that might be an option but if I did want to use thicker elastic how would I get round it at the pulla bung end? Just want to know incase I go down that route.

Total

Site Supporter
Thought that might be an option but if I did want to use thicker elastic how would I get round it at the pulla bung end? Just want to know incase I go down that route.
You need to establish the size of the through hole in the pulla bung end first, Try different size drill blanks in the hole or vernier the hole size etc. Whilst your there check out the size of the hole in your external bush....

For comparison a Middy Hi-Viz Elastic 18 to 20 carp bungee blue solid elastic is quoted as 2.1 diameter.....Compare the sizes of the holes in the external bush and puller sizes you've established and decide if for example the Middy elastic quoted above would fit/be usable....

If the sizing isn't favourable for a heavier elastic with the existing bushes and pullas you already have, then you'll have to cut the tips back and put bigger bushes and look to get a pulla bung with a bigger through hole.....The Preston Pulla bung will accommodate much bigger sizes.....Good luck.(y)

BeadyRoller

You need to establish the size of the through hole in the pulla bung end first, Try different size drill blanks in the hole or vernier the hole size etc. Whilst your there check out the size of the hole in your external bush....

For comparison a Middy Hi-Viz Elastic 18 to 20 carp bungee blue solid elastic is quoted as 2.1 diameter.....Compare the sizes of the holes in the external bush and puller sizes you've established and decide if for example the Middy elastic quoted above would fit/be usable....

If the sizing isn't favourable for a heavier elastic with the existing bushes and pullas you already have, then you'll have to cut the tips back and put bigger bushes and look to get a pulla bung with a bigger through hole.....The Preston Pulla bung will accommodate much bigger sizes.....Good luck.(y)
Thanks very much for the reply mate. Would maybe a standard winder bung be the answer as I don't need to thread it through any holes? Just trying to think of ways as I'm confident of getting the elastic through the bush but if you look at the pulla, especially the bung end, it's a tight fit already. This is a Preston Pulla bung mate.

Total

Site Supporter
Thanks very much for the reply mate. Would maybe a standard winder bung be the answer as I don't need to thread it through any holes? Just trying to think of ways as I'm confident of getting the elastic through the bush but if you look at the pulla, especially the bung end, it's a tight fit already. This is a Preston Pulla bung mate.
A standard winder bung of course would work.....But if you wished to continue having a pulla bung option the solid elastic I quoted above will easily go through a Preston Pulla bung....(I have that pulla bung myself at home).....(y)

richox12

Depends on how much clearance you have however as soon as you hook a carp or you start stripping the elastic will be thinner anyway

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Thought as much, cheers for confirming mate! What about the other end though? Same problem with the pulla.
The pulla doesnt matter ,put a diamond threader through and stretch elastic to go through it 😉 It shouldn't be that tight to be fair ,if it is look for thinner elastic for the same strength