Pole elastic for all round

robwigan

I’m going to have a go at re elastics ring my top kits (I have 2) they are set up with 12-14 and 14-18. Last year when I last took it out I was bumping fish constantly, my float would go and I’d feel resistance and nothing would be on.

what’s a good all round elastic I fish no where particular and it’s a margin pole edge monster.

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Ive found a 10 to 14 hollow to be a great allrounder. Will stretch even with small skimmers but can land double figure carp. You'll need a pulla kit though. There will always be a trade off but thats tge best answer I've got. Others may recommend a 6-10 or 8-12 hollow. Both will still get decent carp in with a pulla kit but i found there was just not enough control on.larger fish. 10-14 is the best tradd off imo. The fox/matrix 10-14 holow has always been a favourite and the only hollow elastic i use for this very reason. Everytging else is solid latex

robwigan

Thanks so I’ll get 10-14 and then set my other kit up with elastic a step up?
My edge monster has side pullers

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
As long as the elastic is set soft it's surprising what you can get away with, even 14 or 16 solid will land small fish if you're careful when striking and playing fish.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
you don’t say what size of fish you normally catch, but following are all rounders

Duraslip 9 - comes out on skimmers, landed carp up to 8lb regularly (takes time)
duraslip 11 - better if fish are a bit bigger but still ok on good silvers
duraslip 13 - great for carp 1lb plus to doubles.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Something I cannot explain is how I get away with using a 14 solid in Summer and don't bump fish to any great degree. Wednesday I had skimmers down to 2oz and roach smaller than that. At the other extreme I had two 6lb+carp and a bream of just over 2lb.

I think I bumped two fish in six hours.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've never tried hollow but I've just changed all my topkits from various strengths of solid to Duraslip. I have 11 in my match kits & that handles big F1's, tench & small fish brilliantly. Didn't want to go much lower because our waters contain a lot of carp & are full of snags.
In my stronger kits, I have 15 & 13 which have been great for carp but I've also been landing smaller roach without bumping them.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I fish 6-8 regularly on a more natural, less stocked carp and land fish upwards of 8lbs with ease. Hard fighting fish too.

That's not to say it's ideal as you're fighting them longer than you would a stronger elastic.

I'd say the best all round would be a 10, maybe a 12 hybrid / hollow.

Wouldnt use any bigger for silvers or swimmers.

BlueKoi

I think the Dura slip hybrid size 13(white) is a great all rounder for commercials. Fished maggot and worm last week at White acres and had fish from a few ounces to doubles on it. You could drop down to an 11 if you were expecting more roach/skimmers with the odd carp. If it's mainly carp and f1's then the 13 is great.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I like the Drennan yellow carp bungee if I’m not sure what’s about. I think it’s rated 8-10.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Something I cannot explain is how I get away with using a 14 solid in Summer and don't bump fish to any great degree. Wednesday I had skimmers down to 2oz and roach smaller than that. At the other extreme I had two 6lb+carp and a bream of just over 2lb.

I think I bumped two fish in six hours.
It's the 'feel', the 'instinct', the x factor, whatever you wish to call it. I too rarely bump fish but i have no idea why not.🤔