Pole elastic - confused by choice

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I use a mixture of elastics for various tasks, I don’t keep things that simple for the sake of it, I use the product which I feel is right for a given situation, there’s nothing confusing with using different brands/types of elastic

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I use a mixture of elastics for various tasks, I don’t keep things that simple for the sake of it, I use the product which I feel is right for a given situation, there’s nothing confusing with using different brands/types of elastic
I know I keep harping (carping?) on about it but it still annoys me. What elastic will you have used at Alders, Gaz?
I've never lost so many fish as I did over those couple of days & I normally land much bigger ones at home without any problem.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I know I keep harping (carping?) on about it but it still annoys me. What elastic will you have used at Alders, Gaz?
I've never lost so many fish as I did over those couple of days & I normally land much bigger ones at home without any problem.
I used Maver 12-14 pink mate on my mugging/shallow/edge rigs, and middy reactorcore 8-12 on my carp/skimmer deck rigs

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I have tried light elastics a few times and always gone back to my favoured and reliable "heavy" solids. I don't get an unacceptable number of hook pulls and I land most of the silvers I hook. With light elastics I just find the fish charge out to the limit of the elastic and I have a devil's own job getting them under control. I have scaled my elastics down over the last few years so instead of 18/20 I am now using 14.

I tend to agree with someone who wrote that pullers should be for the exceptional fish, not every fish. Watching someone pull elastic from a puller "like they were starting a chainsaw" was wrong. I still ask the question, when you have pulled half the length or more of light elastic out of the topkit what actual equivalent grade of elastic are you now playing the fish on? Might as well start with the "correct" grade to start with IMHO.

I use 6-8 primarily and don't use pullers on roach or even small skimmers. I can easily get in a 1/2 / 2lb Bream in without even touching the pulla. I have never seen anybody use under a 6 Hollow and I have certainly never seen anybody use a Pulla while playing a roach or anything of the sort. I simply fish a light 6-8 in addition of a puller for the serious lack of hook pulls and lost fish on the ship in conjunction with the fact that I can tighten the elastic with a pulla had I hook into a good bonus fish. That is the point of them. You can fish light elastics which have tons of benefits and even the negatives of fishing light elastics can be combatted with the addition of a puller allowing you to tighten the elastic as you please.

Honestly, I have a seriously hard time believing that you land as many silvers or even fish of 1-3lb on an 18-20 or even a 14 as you would on a 6-8 or even 8-10 hollow. Now I'm not saying you don't catch any at all - Of course you do but I just refuse to believe a 14 Elastic would be as efficient as a 6-8 in that scenario.

The reason I have a hard time believing this is because I fish my local clubpond with a guy who also fishes heavier elastics and he's always complaining about hook pulls and bumps while I'm sitting beside him getting in the vast, vast majority of silvers without issue.

Now that's not to say I'd fish a commercial stocked with 4-6lb fish with 6-8 Hollow, I wouldn't, And never do. I'd catch well no doubt, But it wouldn't be efficient so I'd up my elastics according to what the venue is stocked with. Probably to a 8-10 or a 10-12 in that situation.

At the end of the day, The vast, vast majority of Anglers aren't using hollow elastics in conjunction with pullas because it looks good or is fun, They do it because it works, And it works well. And to pair a heavy elastic with a pulla under the wrong circumstances just defeats the point of using hollow or pulla in general. Thats why you see a hell of a lot of Anglers, Match Anglers especially using lower end elastics.

solwood

Site Supporter
Thank you RedRiding Hood a good explanation

I rarely fish for carp on the pole except at anglers Paradise and docklow pools

Mostly use the pole at Marsh Farm and fish by the lilies so need to stop the tench going into them, even with strong elastic I have to be quick

On my main pole i have lighter elastic 9h and 11h with pullers and I hate the lack of control. I have used 6 slip in th he past too

Even my whip is elasticated with NG white Hollo, i tried 5-8 green and lost first big fish hooked when the elastic snapped

Strangely with rod and line i am often accused of fishing too light yet rarely lose a fish it's simply with a pole and elastic stretching for miles cant get my head around it

I bought my pole second hand and have 3 or 4 Top kits elasticated for silvers that I will probably never use !!!

For me and my style of fishing a 12 is plenty light enough for a silvers and go up from there!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I think we are at cross purposes. My posts are based around the OP where Old Taff is talking about catching fish from silvers to double figures (rare but possible). In that scenario I would, at this time of year, be using 12 solid. Today on my club lake that has far more silvers than carp in I will be using the Nick Gilbert Ultra Core 12-14 that I am experimenting* with for the first time this Autumn.

When I fish the canal I use a 4 solid and have landed the very occasional 2-3lb bream but it copes easily with fish to half a pound. Most times though the fish average an ounce or less. I am guessing that a 6-8 hollow would be something like a 4 solid.

On the river I use both 6 & 10 solid. The 10 because I want to be able to strike with enough power to set the hook in several feet of water and through a float carrying 2g. I don't expect hook pulls or bumped fish with a barbed hook.

On a commercial I am targeting carp and in a match am not really interested in silvers as they will not, normally, help me frame or win.

I fully understand that it is difficult to believe that I land most of the silvers I hook on 12 or 14 solids. But I can honestly say that I don't feel as if I lose that many. This may be in part due to the way I play small fish. I tend to have what I call a loose elbow. By that I mean that I don't just expect the heavier elastic to do all the work. I will absorb some of the lunges of, say 8oz skimmers, by letting the pole tip follow the fish and not expect the elastic to do that for me.

Today, on the club lake I know I will encounter more silvers than carp. But I still feel more confident using an elastic that will allow me to land the carp fairly easily. Though I am finding with the 12-14 NGUC it takes a little longer than with a 12 solid and I have to use a puller more often.

* I am also experimenting with flavoured pellet soak for the first time this year. After today I hope to be able to make some observations about the difference this seems to be making. Although I appear to be stubborn and stick with things I know and trust I actually experiment more than some believe.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I think we are at cross purposes. My posts are based around the OP where Old Taff is talking about catching fish from silvers to double figures (rare but possible). In that scenario I would, at this time of year, be using 12 solid. Today on my club lake that has far more silvers than carp in I will be using the Nick Gilbert Ultra Core 12-14 that I am experimenting* with for the first time this Autumn.

When I fish the canal I use a 4 solid and have landed the very occasional 2-3lb bream but it copes easily with fish to half a pound. Most times though the fish average an ounce or less. I am guessing that a 6-8 hollow would be something like a 4 solid.

On the river I use both 6 & 10 solid. The 10 because I want to be able to strike with enough power to set the hook in several feet of water and through a float carrying 2g. I don't expect hook pulls or bumped fish with a barbed hook.

On a commercial I am targeting carp and in a match am not really interested in silvers as they will not, normally, help me frame or win.

I fully understand that it is difficult to believe that I land most of the silvers I hook on 12 or 14 solids. But I can honestly say that I don't feel as if I lose that many. This may be in part due to the way I play small fish. I tend to have what I call a loose elbow. By that I mean that I don't just expect the heavier elastic to do all the work. I will absorb some of the lunges of, say 8oz skimmers, by letting the pole tip follow the fish and not expect the elastic to do that for me.

Today, on the club lake I know I will encounter more silvers than carp. But I still feel more confident using an elastic that will allow me to land the carp fairly easily. Though I am finding with the 12-14 NGUC it takes a little longer than with a 12 solid and I have to use a puller more often.

* I am also experimenting with flavoured pellet soak for the first time this year. After today I hope to be able to make some observations about the difference this seems to be making. Although I appear to be stubborn and stick with things I know and trust I actually experiment more than some believe.

Great advice as always Neil - I’ve been using Sonubaits Haze for the last couple of months and I think it makes a massive difference to my catch rates on the lake with the method feeder. No opportunity to sue it in a river session yet.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Just trying to summarise so far before i add my two pence worth. So at present @chefster , it seems the choice is narrowed down for the op to somewhere between a 6 and a 20 bungee and either middy, preston, map or maver and either solid, hollow, hydro or hybrid..........never felt you were (imo) completely wrong the other day chap....as the responses so far suggest too. This ones a good example of getting a hundred different answers.

Re the op however, and because i am now the second vote for a 13 hollow, thats it, the most popular suggestion just has to be what the op goes for....:)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Just trying to summarise so far before i add my two pence worth. So at present @chefster , it seems the choice is narrowed down for the op to somewhere between a 6 and a 20 bungee and either middy, preston, map or maver and either solid, hollow, hydro or hybrid..........never felt you were (imo) completely wrong the other day chap....as the responses so far suggest too. This ones a good example of getting a hundred different answers.

Re the op however, and because i am now the second vote for a 13 hollow, thats it, the most popular suggestion just has to be what the op goes for....:)
My elastic choices would blow some peoples minds .....for various tasks I use - TH solidco in 6-8,8-10,10-12.....hydro-blue and orange....Maver hollow 12-14,14-17.....Middy reactorcore 8-12, middy 18-20 ??

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
If I could only use one elastic for everything it would be Preston 11H.
If I could only use one elastic for everything, I’d be in a spot of bother...... I use different elastics for different venues and target fish.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Fishing yesterday and thinking about this I need to say that just because people have different choices does not invalidate or make any of those choices wrong. Everyone settles on a choice that suits them. My choice may not suit any one else and vice versa.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
There was a YouTube vid where Jamie Hughes says he has something like thirty top kits. I imagine that allows for more choices of elastic than the average pleasure or match fisher can afford or even be bothered with. I've got seven top kits between my margin pole and 16m pole, so I've got to be selective.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I probably have that many across three poles, Margin, 16m and silvers. But then many of them are Avanti kits and cost me £10-12 each.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Universal kits that unfortunately are no longer available. Used to be sold by Dragon Carp Direct until Mike Ashley bought the firm and closed it down. Genrous bore at the butt end that could be cut back to fit. Luckily I found they fitted my poles.

Many would look down their noses at them but they have served me well.

I was also lucky in that the kits, including the Avantis, from my old margin pole fitted my new one. Same with my silver pole, a DAM Millennum Gold. The topkits from my Milo Maximus fitted.

My 16m pole is a MAP M16 and I was able to buy a second new one a few years after they stopped being produced and that gave me a complete set of spare sections plus four extra topkits.

While I rarely set up many topkits it is nice to have the choice. I tend to find the canal is the venue where I set up most. Generally though the kits for one pole/use have one grade of elastic vas per my earlier post.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
There was a YouTube vid where Jamie Hughes says he has something like thirty top kits. I imagine that allows for more choices of elastic than the average pleasure or match fisher can afford or even be bothered with. I've got seven top kits between my margin pole and 16m pole, so I've got to be selective.

I saw that before I asked the question - must be nice to be sponsored

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
You don’t have to be sponsored , just buy them ?‍♂️
I have over 30 topkits and I’m not interested in being sponsored. Rather be able to please myself and use what I want and voice my opinion on what I use. Unless you are a consultant, most sponsorship deals aren’t worth the effort.