Pole elastic - confused by choice

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Thanks to the incredible generosity of an MD member my son and I are now the owners of an 8m Trabucco Lucifer pole with 3 top kits :giggle:

It’s not been used for some time so before we take it out in anger elastic replacement is on the cards - I have spent a lot of time last night looking at articles, videos, threads on here, and I am as confused as a confused person can be with the myriad of suggestions surrounding solid, hollow, hydro, doubled, etc......

Our venue is a natural local lake stocked solely with carp - stocking density is such that there vast numbers of 0-8oz, 1-2lb and then the 5-8lb crew. Odd doubles put in appearances too but that’s a rarity. The whip caters for the tiddlers comfortbly but we get demolished when the big boys move in on our feed as the session progresses.

Is there a simple solution or is it as complex as it appears ?

StuH

Site Supporter
The Preston Duraslip in the 9 will easily cover your lower end fish and the 13 will handle the larger end.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Honestly.. It's as confusing as you want it to be. Bare in mind - Companies are there to make profit. If they can sell you a range of Hollo elastics for 'All your fishing needs' they will.

Does having a different range of elastics help out? Yes. Massively. Why? Having the right elastic for the occasion catches you more fish, Undoubtedly. If you're fishing a margin with 10 elastic, You're going to get snapped up. If you're fishing for silvers with a 16, You're going to get a lot of bumps and lost fish.

Can you fish 1 single elastic all year round and still catch? Certainly. Can you do it with maximum efficiency? No.

My cousin for instance never uses anything lower than a 14. Doesn't matter on the venue, The target species. No lower than a 14, And usually a 16. To me, This is shocking but he still catches well. Does he lose countless amounts of fish due to his excessively high elastic ratings? Probably.

But does he have more money than me because of his skimping? Most certainly :ROFLMAO:

NathanP27

Ive just gone for 10-12, 12-14 and 16-18 in nick Gilbert's ultracore which is supposed to be identical to matrix slik.

Redridinghood helped me out massively. Id honestly say a margin of 16 plus. A silvers top kit, and then an in between.

solwood

Site Supporter
Personally I dont get light elastic

I dont use anything lighter than a 14/16

Margin pole has 14/16 and 18/20

Other than in my whip

I dont find I bump loads of small fish and more important I can stop bonus fish getting into the weeds

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I keep it simple. 14 solid in Summer, 12 solid in Winter. I land anything from ounce roach to 10lb carp.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Do the various makes tend to be like for like? Is a Middy 14 the same as a Preston 14 for example or is there a degree of disparity?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Do the various makes tend to be like for like? Is a Middy 14 the same as a Preston 14 for example or is there a degree of disparity?

They should be roughly similar for the same type of elastic. The French method of categorising is to go by diameter. Seems more logical somehow.

But a 14 solid and 14 hollow are two different beasts.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Numbers vary between manufacturers best guide is probably diameter in solid elastics like hooks there is no fixed sizing so companies tend to make things up to suit their range.
The thing that can make more difference is how tight the elastic is installed in the first place.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Personally I dont get light elastic

I dont use anything lighter than a 14/16

Margin pole has 14/16 and 18/20

Other than in my whip

I dont find I bump loads of small fish and more important I can stop bonus fish getting into the weeds

Have you ever used lighter elastics to compare though mate? In my good ol' teen days I too used to use only heavier elastics under the premise that 'Well if I catch a carp it won't be out of control' and my opinion soon changed once I actually gave lighter elastics on a pulla a proper go. It was daunting, And a little awkward to get used to at first, Especially when you're used to catching and ragging fish in on 14-16 elastic but it doesn't take long to realise that you do indeed lose less fish on lighter elastics, And catching said fish on lighter elastics also causes less consequence on your swim. Remember it's not just a matter of bumping, You've also gotta ship silvers back with a stiff elastic, then land them. With all of this combined, it really does drastically reduce losing fish IMO. I also want to point out that fish just seem to bolt once you jolt them on overly heavy elastic which ends up spooking other fish, Half the time on lighter elastics the fish don't even know they're hooked for a few seconds and slowly move out of the area of feed. I wouldn't recommend it because it's a bit too light for fishing that a lot of people do, But I primarily use 6-8 on my clubpond (Mostly Bream and Silvers) and a good 80% of the 'bonus' carp I have out on my local venue is on Maver 6-8 Green. These fish are generally between 5-8lb but the biggest being 12lb and it's very, very rarely they ever bolt out of control or go into weeds unless you're fishing stupidly light in stupidly snaggy areas. Obviously I change elastics accordingly when theres snags about but I'll never go back to using heavier elastics under fear I'm going to lose fish to threats that don't seem to exist.

On the other hand, I agree with heavier elastics in the margins. 18-20 all the way.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
The only problem with using lighter elastics for carp is that the first run can go through other anglers' swims.

I have found, though, that the fish don't seem to take fright as much when hooked on light elastics. It depends how close other anglers are which decides what strength I choose - 16-plus more often than not (favourite Middy 18-20), especially on waters where foulhooked fish are likely.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I was in a similar position just over a year ago- had no idea what to put in my margin pole. If it helps, I have the following in my two poles...

Margin kits x2 Preston Duraslip red (15)
Sensas Power Match kits x2 Preston Duraslip white (13)
Sensas Power Match kits x3 Zipp Hybrid yellow (6-8)

The red duraslip in my Edge Monster will do almost anything you are likely to hook. The white duraslip does anything from silvers up to 9lb carp (so far!). The yellow Zipp stuff handles silvers up to decent F1's (if my last session was anything to go by). I've tried to keep it simple, and I decided that if I ever want to go for any serious munters then a strong feeder rod is more in order.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Have you ever used lighter elastics to compare though mate? In my good ol' teen days I too used to use only heavier elastics under the premise that 'Well if I catch a carp it won't be out of control' and my opinion soon changed once I actually gave lighter elastics on a pulla a proper go. It was daunting, And a little awkward to get used to at first, Especially when you're used to catching and ragging fish in on 14-16 elastic but it doesn't take long to realise that you do indeed lose less fish on lighter elastics, And catching said fish on lighter elastics also causes less consequence on your swim. Remember it's not just a matter of bumping, You've also gotta ship silvers back with a stiff elastic, then land them. With all of this combined, it really does drastically reduce losing fish IMO. I also want to point out that fish just seem to bolt once you jolt them on overly heavy elastic which ends up spooking other fish, Half the time on lighter elastics the fish don't even know they're hooked for a few seconds and slowly move out of the area of feed. I wouldn't recommend it because it's a bit too light for fishing that a lot of people do, But I primarily use 6-8 on my clubpond (Mostly Bream and Silvers) and a good 80% of the 'bonus' carp I have out on my local venue is on Maver 6-8 Green. These fish are generally between 5-8lb but the biggest being 12lb and it's very, very rarely they ever bolt out of control or go into weeds unless you're fishing stupidly light in stupidly snaggy areas. Obviously I change elastics accordingly when theres snags about but I'll never go back to using heavier elastics under fear I'm going to lose fish to threats that don't seem to exist.

On the other hand, I agree with heavier elastics in the margins. 18-20 all the way.
Agree 100%.

I couldn't work out why I was getting so many hook pulls until I realised that when a carp gets hooked with a barge-rope for elastic it goes bananas! Lightened it all up drastically and hey-presto; no hook pulls and no "Flying Scotsman" impressions from the fish :)

rudd

Site Supporter
Thanks to the incredible generosity of an MD member my son and I are now the owners of an 8m Trabucco Lucifer pole with 3 top kits :giggle:

It’s not been used for some time so before we take it out in anger elastic replacement is on the cards - I have spent a lot of time last night looking at articles, videos, threads on here, and I am as confused as a confused person can be with the myriad of suggestions surrounding solid, hollow, hydro, doubled, etc......

Our venue is a natural local lake stocked solely with carp - stocking density is such that there vast numbers of 0-8oz, 1-2lb and then the 5-8lb crew. Odd doubles put in appearances too but that’s a rarity. The whip caters for the tiddlers comfortbly but we get demolished when the big boys move in on our feed as the session progresses.

Is there a simple solution or is it as complex as it appears ?
Its very simple.
Middy hi-viz has species, species size, main line and hooklength recommendations on elastic spool.
Its also one of the most popular, cheapest and most reliable out there.
For your needs 6-8 will suit.

stikflote

Site Supporter
@OldTaff ,
I have two Trabbuco Lucifer poles a 8mtr and a 9mtr sections do interchange,.
ITs just about the strongest margin pole you could buy, i have 18 elastic in most of my top kits
plus 14 or 16 in other top kits ive had some big fish out on them.
Trabbuco made them in three sizes 8 9 and 10mtrs aand they also made extensions for them called Lucifer Tails

you have been given a great margin pole enjoy it
its not beem made for some years now

Keith

stikflote

Site Supporter
Ifind using light elastics the carp run about half a mile down lake ,then i end playing them for about 15 mins
at least it seem that long ,itb also doesnt help when fish goes thru other pegs,.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter

I have tried light elastics a few times and always gone back to my favoured and reliable "heavy" solids. I don't get an unacceptable number of hook pulls and I land most of the silvers I hook. With light elastics I just find the fish charge out to the limit of the elastic and I have a devil's own job getting them under control. I have scaled my elastics down over the last few years so instead of 18/20 I am now using 14.

I tend to agree with someone who wrote that pullers should be for the exceptional fish, not every fish. Watching someone pull elastic from a puller "like they were starting a chainsaw" was wrong. I still ask the question, when you have pulled half the length or more of light elastic out of the topkit what actual equivalent grade of elastic are you now playing the fish on? Might as well start with the "correct" grade to start with IMHO.