Pole Elastic Choice

Brentfish

Brent
Hi everyone.
I myself have been using Diawa Hydro elastic for all my pole fishing up to now. I have never felt the need to change until this point. The reason I am looking for a change is the cost really. When i am fishing team or big matches i tend to have around 10+ topkits and as you can imagine 15 pound a pop it gets expensive.
Just wondered what you guys use and why

Thanks
Brent

Reuben

Site Supporter
Use Drennan bungee myself - don’t fish matches & I’ve only 4 top kits. Not bad at a tenner a pop. I’ve been considering Nick Gilbert’s stuff though.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I’ve always used hydro for many years, but after ongoing quality issues last year I swapped to Middy Reactorcore , and I’m very pleased with it...it does cost £15 , but you do get 2 kits out of it , as opposed to 1,with hydro

chris1967

Site Supporter
I’ve always used hydro for many years, but after ongoing quality issues last year I swapped to Middy Reactorcore , and I’m very pleased with it...it does cost £15 , but you do get 2 kits out of it , as opposed to 1,with hydro

same o . ive found that the 20 to 24 pink colour is very similar to black hydro and has alot of stretch ,the next one down was to stretchy for me

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hydro for many years then I seemed to drop on a bad batch. I use Matrix for my smaller stuff but, Im just trying Preston for the first time on my power tops. Everything seems to have gone up in price. But, somethings like hooks, line and elastic you should not scrimp on in my opinion. Providing you can afford it that is.

burger

Site Supporter
Switched from hydro to Matrix and Nufish both very similar in performance. Have a look at the Garbolino zombie specimen 4.8mm thick.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You too Gazza ? At first I swapped bushes, bungs, even washed the insides of my top kits out thinking it was my fault somewhere but, after buying more and having the same problem I binned it. Years ago it was brilliant. I used to use black religiously and grey for smaller carp. Ill see how I go with Preston and if thats no good I'll try Middy.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
You too Gazza ? At first I swapped bushes, bungs, even washed the insides of my top kits out thinking it was my fault somewhere but, after buying more and having the same problem I binned it. Years ago it was brilliant. I used to use black religiously and grey for smaller carp. Ill see how I go with Preston and if thats no good I'll try Middy.
I was stubborn with hydro, stayed with it, for years even when it was letting me down, finally I thought enough is enough, since I’ve been using the middy, I hardly lost a fish , that was properly hooked ?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
When Hydro first came out it was worth every penny, head and shoulders above anything on the market at the time IMO.
Over the last couple of years something has definitely changed for the worse in terms of manufacturing quality. It always seemed to be so consistent and hard wearing but I gave up on it a couple of years ago when having purchased 3 packs of black they turned out to all be of different diameters so it was obvious to me that the quality control was no longer there.

Nowadays all my kits are rigged with Nick Gilbert's elastics in various grades that I've found suit me and my fishing.

(Disclaimer: Other brands are available :))

Brentfish

Brent
Cheers for all the info lads. I interesting to hear some of the issues people are having with hydro. Makes for an interesting read.

Brent

Fishfinderuk

Site Supporter
I recently bought some of the new maver elastic (might be duelcore)£18.00 fir 5mtr.i managed to get three top kits done easy.