Pole Elastic Choice

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I'm going to be elasticating the 4 top kits of my Drennan Red Range pole, and need a little advice on my choice of laccy. The top kits are ready to take a bush with an internal diameter of 2.9mm without any cutting back. Drennan supply these bushes, plus wider ones if you want to cut your pole back and fit thicker elastic. I'd rather not cut the top sections back if I can help it. I was thinking of elasticating the kits using Nick Gilbert's Microbore elastics due to their thin diameter. I was thinking about 4-8 Blue for silvers in winter, 6-10 Pink for silvers and f1s, 12-16 Grey for carp in open water, and 14-18 Navy Blue for in the margins or when there are lots of lumps about. The thickest diameter elastic would be 2.3mm. Would there be enough clearance for that size of elastic to run smoothly in the bush with 2.9mm diameter. And does my selection of elastic strengths sound right?

Reuben

Site Supporter
Personally, I’d use Drennan Bungee - saves faffing about. Each to their own though.

Dusty

I'm going to be elasticating the 4 top kits of my Drennan Red Range pole, and need a little advice on my choice of laccy. The top kits are ready to take a bush with an internal diameter of 2.9mm without any cutting back. Drennan supply these bushes, plus wider ones if you want to cut your pole back and fit thicker elastic. I'd rather not cut the top sections back if I can help it. I was thinking of elasticating the kits using Nick Gilbert's Microbore elastics due to their thin diameter. I was thinking about 4-8 Blue for silvers in winter, 6-10 Pink for silvers and f1s, 12-16 Grey for carp in open water, and 14-18 Navy Blue for in the margins or when there are lots of lumps about. The thickest diameter elastic would be 2.3mm. Would there be enough clearance for that size of elastic to run smoothly in the bush with 2.9mm diameter. And does my selection of elastic strengths sound right?

I’m sure that would be fine mate ?

MrBen

I would personally elasticate the kits in pairs so a 8-10 for general and 12-14 for all other uses. I’ve been really impressed with the slik from matrix.

Dusty

I would personally elasticate the kits in pairs so a 8-10 for general and 12-14 for all other uses. I’ve been really impressed with the slik from matrix.

Id agree with this rather than having 4 different elastics.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the advice. After considering it, I've decided to elasticated the kits in pairs using 2 elastic strengths. I'm going to go for NG Ultra Core in Red 8-10 and Yellow 12-14. This will fit my top 2 kits without having to cut them back and cover most of my fishing. I did consider Drennan Carp Bungee but I have read good things about NG elastics and the Drennan stuff is twice the price.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
A small change in plan for now. I'm going to elasticate 2 with 8-10 Ultra Core , one with 12-14, and convert the fourth top kit for cupping. Obviously the long pole requires accuracy with groundbait and that makes a cupping kit pretty much essential. I can always buy more top kits as and when I can afford them.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Wonder how much you put in a pot as you could use the Preston mega cad pot on a top kit instead of a dedicated cupping kit. It’s not as big as a full size pole cup, but like a smaller one, would mean not losing a top kit. It’s about 5.5cm diameter and 5.5cm deep, just a thought.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Wonder how much you put in a pot as you could use the Preston mega cad pot on a top kit instead of a dedicated cupping kit. It’s not as big as a full size pole cup, but like a smaller one, would mean not losing a top kit. It’s about 5.5cm diameter and 5.5cm deep, just a thought.
I might look into that. It's a lot bigger than most cad pots and not too far off the size of cupping kit. If it stays in place with a ball of groundbait in it then it could the answer. It would probably mean shipping in and out a few more times while baiting up, but that only adds a few minutes to the job. Thanks for the suggestion.