Pole Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polepot

Poles
Guys,

As many of you know my DAM pole got bust last week crybaby2.gif but lucky as I am - keep well clear Trev.
The Guys at Fishermans Friend have sorted the insurance out. jump.gif .

Now for my question I have between 700 & 1000 to spend on my new pole which I want to use for all round purposes.

I have seen a Maver Abyss 15m which attracts me as I liked the maver poles but I did not like the Medusa which falls in this price range I tried at Go Fishing but is this pole suitable for my needs?

Are there any others you would recommend?

I do feel obliged to buy from Fishermans Friend as they were more than helpfull with sorting out my insurance claim.

TIA

Poles

MALC

Nick

Glad it's sorted told you FF were helpfull.

My mouth is watering at the thought of a new pole, as i've posted in the past i was to get one last week but due to no 3 being due in September and the upheval it's causing i've had to put it off (for a while).
In my case i wanted a pole that was 16mtr and mainly for carp but that will also see use on the canal in winter and after nearly 9 months of looking,trying and listening to others i settled on the Milo Trojan.
But the big problem with sorting out a new pole is that everyone you talk to will tell you about their favourite one but as we all know each of us are different and what one person likes you may not.

Personaly i sujest you spend a few hour's at FF with Tony and play about with some as he stocks most pole's by most manufactures and he will be glad to help you.
But make it a week day as he will have more time then.

Best of luck.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com bounce.gif

Polepot

Poles
Malc,

Thanks for the advice but I did infact go yesterday. I suggested a Milo Trojan but this was not recommended as I now find I still have a pole suitable for Carp Crunching. So I tried a number of poles and finaly decided on a Maver Respect.

I used it today but not with much success, however it is much better balanced than my Dam and even in wind can handle it at 14.5m, I doubt if I'll cope with 16m

Will bring it to Drayton but doublt if I will use it as I have only had it elasticated to 14. It has muletto bungs which mean the elasic is doubled, by going round a pulley - What are the benefits Mike in the shop was helpful but I'd like your views.

Fishermans Friend were very good but I was a little dissapointed that they charged for elasication when I had spent over 1000 or is this expecting to much.

Despite this they were V helpfull and I shall go back again.

Poles

Edited by - polepot on 06 May 2002 7:55:39 PM

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nick,
Glad you have got yourself sorted with a new pole.
The Respect normaly sells for 999 at 16mtrs and as far as i know is supplied with the Muletto bungs to elasticate the top kits.
I have to say that having paid that amount i would be very dissapointed if a shop charged extra to elasticate the kits.
For more information on the Muletto system have a look here
And most importantly don't forget to post a review of the pole after you've got used to it.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

MALC

Nick

Glad your sorted but must admit that me being me there is no way i'd have payed to have them elasticate it
It might just be me but i've always stood and haggled regards the price when spending out on big items.

When i got my Fightback they were 799 with 3 power top 2 and 1 match top 3.
I ended up with 5 power tops, 2 match tops, cupping kit & cups and lacy and connectors all for the 799 asking price
Where as a guy i used to fish with bought 2 (1 for him and his wife) about 3 weeks before me from the same shop but payed the full price for both with just the normal spares.

As to the Mulleto system i've never used it as when it first came out i saw a few people using it and was not to impressed with it but thats just me.

Malc

Polepot

Poles
Guys,

I did try to get them to do it for free, particularly as the muletto's were included in the price of the Pole. I should add that I took a friend along who also bought a Pole so all in all the shop had a very good day. Including 70 for elastication.

Whilst I know that they should do their best to make every penny, I doubt that the elastic and bush and steffano cost them anything like a tenner.

It is sad that I should feel like this as FF were going to get a posting of recommendation now I'm not so sure. So for this one Fishermans Friend please learn to deal.gif and then everyone will be thumbsup.gif

What do other people think?

I think that elastication of a new pole should be included or at very least discounted - that was cerainly true when I bought my first pole for which I paid very little compared to this.

But there are other postings which suggest that angling retailers do not do it.

Poles

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Nick,
If you read my old post on Your Awards, you'll find that AA Angling elasticated 3 tops for me FOC on a Pole deal that was less than 300!
Sorry Mate, but no kudos for those boys!

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

MALC

quote: I should add that I took a friend along who also bought a Pole so all in all the shop had a very good day. Including 70 for elastication.

BLOODY HELL 70 FOR ELASTICATION

I normaly change all my lacy and connectors at least every 2 months,
often more frequently with the heavy stuff
And that works out to 11 top sets and it never cost's more than 40.

I feel guilty now for suggesting FF to you Nick as they certainly went out of their way to get some extra cash from you.

Malc

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:BLOODY HELL 70 FOR ELASTICATION

I'm sorry Nick but that is a TOTAL rip off.
I can't even begin to think how FF could justify that price. teeth.gif

Peter.

Polepot

Poles
Guy's

The story continues, when I bought the pole from Fishermans Friend which I think may be a misnomer. They were 1 power kit short.

I was promised this within 10 days. It is now a month and it has not arrived.

I have phoned the shop 4 times and each time they have had a different response - least to say not the one I wanted.

I rang on Saturday and they said they would ring Maver and let me know when the sections would be in, and that has not happened. Am I suprised NO am I disgusted YES, and Iam now icon_smile_angry.gif

When I went there I wanted to buy a current model the H31 or equivalent - They assured me that maver spares for past models were readily available.

If I could have my money back and start again I surely would. I should add that the Maver pole itself is great but FF customer care is B.....y awful.

In conclusion I do not recommend Fishermans Friend nono.gif This has really added insult to the injury with the elasication.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Poles i can only sympathise not only have you been ripped off with the elastication, but now it looks a though now they have your money they are not bothered with the back up service,
try getting mavers tel No. phone them ask what the situation is regarding getting spare top sections and if they have them in stock, if they are then FF are trying it on! if they're not in stock ask if they are getting any.if they say there no longer available at least you'll no, so then its back to FF and you will have the answers if they try to fob you off,
if they are no longer available try swapping the pole for a current model,or if your happy with the pole get them to refund you RRP of the top kit, that pole will have been supplied to them with a complete spares package so they have obviously sold a top kit from that pole,
wishing you good luck with the outcome.

teepee.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nick,
I fear you are being messed around big time by FF.
If i were you i would contact Maver direct, as they pride themselves on their customer service.

Maver (uk) Ltd,
87 Heming Road,
Washford Industrial Estate,
Redditch,
Worcestershire,
B98 0EA.

TEL..........01527 510500
FAX..........01527 510234

E-Mail.......info@maver.co.uk

Hope this is of some help,and don't forget to mention that this episode has been aired on the net.

Peter.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Nick,
Sad about the bad news.

Some small good news!
The guys at PAD heard from Phil how your'e helping his grandson and want you to have a good days fishing, so rather than our lake, they have given me 2 tickets for an adjacent commercial lake that is fishing well at present. (Mark the Bailiff had 31 Carp to 14lbs last visit!)
Bans are size 10 max hooks, no groundbait,loosefeed only.
Baits worm/meat/sweetcorn/maggot in that order.
Told em you prefer pole.
suggested 14 laccy minimum.

Look forward to seeing you thursday
Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.