Pole advice needed

marc_uk

Site Supporter
Ok so it arrived! And its is the 3 version...

Next question, what the hell do i do next? Seriously I havent got a clue, this is the first time ive ever had a fishing pole.

Am i best off taking it to a tackle shop and letting them sort it for me?

Theres no hole on the side for the elastic so are you supposed to make one yourself?

Im totally new to all this so thanks for any advice!

Cheers

Attachments

• 20210716_175545.jpg
    20210716_175545.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210716_175559.jpg
    20210716_175559.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210716_175604.jpg
    20210716_175604.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210716_175622.jpg
    20210716_175622.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210716_175628.jpg
    20210716_175628.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210716_175632.jpg
    20210716_175632.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 20

scuttster

Site Supporter
you don’t necessarily need to have a hole in the side. instead you can get puller bungs.

yes a tackle shop should get you all elasticated up and advise you on what You need.

where about s in the country are you? There maybe a local drowner who could help get You elasticated up and I’m sure other members may be able to advise on what elastics etc to go for. I think you mentioned targeting silvers but also double figure carp.

booboo

Site Supporter
Plenty of decent YouTube vids on elastication and attaching connectors. I know you can drill for a side puller bush, but on my toolkits they all seem reinforced at that point with another wrap of carbon and worry that a retrofit might be a weakspot?
Tackle dealer might be a good shout, but it's good to do it yourself just to take the mystery out of it because it really is simple

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I had mine out yesterday with her ladyship Mrs Munch. I have been very hesitant in going to the Pole and my first outing resulted in a few fish and a lot of confusion as to fish with the damn thing. My second outing, Terry Wogan send me a letter... Yesterday, it seemed to fall into place.
25 fish, lots of F1 up to 6lb, a few larger carp and get this ...no one is going to believe me but I caught 2 Gudgeon on a pole with a hair rigged prawn. I had several small perch hanging on to it too, crazy...
Then the monsters came! ...Read the report..
Coming soon..

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
you don’t necessarily need to have a hole in the side. instead you can get puller bungs.

yes a tackle shop should get you all elasticated up and advise you on what You need.

where about s in the country are you? There maybe a local drowner who could help get You elasticated up and I’m sure other members may be able to advise on what elastics etc to go for. I think you mentioned targeting silvers but also double figure carp.
Puller bungs are good ,if you cant get someone to help take it to a tackle shop and ask to watch as they do it . Alternatively watch YouTube videos and have a go

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Puller bungs are good ,if you cant get someone to help take it to a tackle shop and ask to watch as they do it . Alternatively watch YouTube videos and have a go
I’ve fitted MAP puller bungs to my Preston pole - it was super simple and they are incredibly easy & effective to use.

I would most definitely recommend them

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I’ve fitted MAP puller bungs to my Preston pole - it was super simple and they are incredibly easy & effective to use.

I would most definitely recommend them
Yes they are good and i prefer pulla bungs in my margin pole 😉. I use side pullers in my other pole and think theyre better to use but think pulla bungs are better in a margin pole for strength. I used Bobco to drill and fit side pullers in my other pole as it can be costly if you mess up ( im a coward 😆)

marc_uk

Site Supporter
Cheers for the replies! Im in Lancashire and reading the replies I think ill just nip to a tackle shop. When I watched the videos on the Middy site of the xm10-3 they used side pullers so I presumed (as im a complete novice) thats how it came.

Ill watch plenty of you tube videos and decide how I want it. 👍

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Today I had my spare top kit sorted at Bobco. #16 elastic that I provided fitted, hole drilled, puller bung and the bit at the end all fitted for a fiver. I had to buy the bits but this was about £10. £15 all in for something done properly. It will be even cheaper (per top kit) if you are doing both at the same time.
So I now have 11, 13 and 16... Back to those lily's tomorrow to give em hell!! :p

marc_uk

Site Supporter
Today I had my spare top kit sorted at Bobco. #16 elastic that I provided fitted, hole drilled, puller bung and the bit at the end all fitted for a fiver. I had to buy the bits but this was about £10. £15 all in for something done properly. It will be even cheaper (per top kit) if you are doing both at the same time.
So I now have 11, 13 and 16... Back to those lily's tomorrow to give em hell!! :p
Sounds perfect 😁👍

dougan

Site Supporter
Mine finally arrived today!
If I want to fit pulla bungs, the section that fits into the top two has a tapered soft bung in the end of it.
So it cannot be used with a pulla bung. I believe the tapered bung is to protect the ends when inserting this section.
If I remove the tapered bung, will there be a greater risk of damaging the ends?

scuttster

Site Supporter
E1C2906C-0542-4A3B-8549-84FB6C6F7CC8.jpeg
if it is something like this it helps align the sections when putting sections together it will also push dirt away from the section wall. Some people like using them others don’t.

you could remove it or possibly drill a hole through it large enough for the puller to slot in.

never tried it myself though. Other members might have and could say if they advise it or not.