Pole advice needed

marc_uk

Site Supporter
I got back into angling a couple of years ago and like to fish the feeder mainly on club waters. I like fishing for silvers, roach, perch etc and the occasional Bream.. ive never fished for carp because its not really my thing. I like quiet venues and im not into big conmercials full of carp.

So back to the pole... ive recently joined a local club with a few waters containing a good mix of fish including carp to about 12lb.

Im looking for a good all rounder that can handle the bigger fish but also switch to the smaller fish i enjoy catching.

My budget is around 300 for a pole and a few bits to get me started. Im not adverse to buying second hand but prefer new. I dont want to spend a fortune in case its not for me.

Every pole i see is power carp etc i just want something normal... I miss bennets of Sheffield and there starter packs.. any advice would be great?

Cheers

scuttster

Site Supporter
With a £300 budget I would look at getting a margin pole. I believe @MunchMyStump recently invested in a Middy 10m one and a few other members have been talking about them too.

While called a margin pole they aren't necessarily for strong elastic being fished in a snag pit or down the edge. They can also be used with light elastics in open water too.

In the future if the pole fishing bug stays and you decide to invest in a 16m you will still have the margin pole for those times you need to use strong elastics in snaggier areas and protect the more expensive pole.

if you haven't already you might want to have a read of @Neil ofthe nene 's pole fishing guide - Beginner's Guide To Pole Fishing - Index

dougan

Site Supporter
The Middy pole was the Reactocore XM10-3 which Go Outdoors were selling for only £200.
I have just checked, and it seems they have sold out, I managed to order one last week!

scuttster

Site Supporter
The Middy pole was the Reactocore XM10-3 which Go Outdoors were selling for only £200.
I have just checked, and it seems they have sold out, I managed to order one last week!
i do see Glasgow angling are showing they have stock but is priced at £249.99 from them. Middy Reactacore XM10-3 Power Carp Pole – Glasgow Angling Centre

though they also have the xq-1 at £175 Middy Reactacore XQ-1 Pole 10m Package – Glasgow Angling Centre

not sure on what it is like But I’m sure someone will come along with some ideas

marc_uk

Site Supporter
I see the 249.99 one comes with a few extras but haven't a clue what they are, is it that a good deal?

scuttster

Site Supporter
I see the 249.99 one comes with a few extras but haven't a clue what they are, is it that a good deal?
Unfortunately what Glasgow angling are saying in the included free part on their page is actually supplied as part of the standard package from Middy. As to if it is a good deal I wouldn’t like to say as @dougan has said go outdoors were selling these for £200.

marc_uk

Site Supporter
Unfortunately what Glasgow angling are saying in the included free part on their page is actually supplied as part of the standard package from Middy. As to if it is a good deal I wouldn’t like to say as @dougan has said go outdoors were selling these for £200.
Ah fair enough, cheeky eh 👍 thanks

scuttster

Site Supporter

dougan

Site Supporter
Almost sure if you order it from Fishing Republic, you will receive the 3 version, you will not find anything better for £200

marc_uk

Site Supporter
Fishing republic (which is owned by go outdoors) are showing stock of what they are labelling in the title as the xm10-2 though the image and description refer to it as the 3
which is also how go outdoors described it on their website and from the thread on here the recieved 3’s

Ive just bought the last one... if you click on the link now its dead! I hope its the 3, fingers crossed.

Thanks

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
That is the pole that I have and for the money you cannot go wrong. Strong yet light and handles anything that takes the bait. I have 3 top sections. One 11 elastic one 13 and one 16 for when those lumps move in.

booboo

Site Supporter
Can't comment on the other options, but love my 10m Edge Monster and easily handled a 20lb Common on it. I've got a much more expensive 16m pole, but during the summer so much of my fishing is at 4-8m that it hardly gets used. I've got both top kits set up with 20 elastic which loses me a lot of smaller fish so thinking of going light on one or even getting a couple of extra kits to put lighter / general purpose elastic in. Like any pole (that I can afford) fishes best within a couple of meters less than its max length, but by no means a pig at 10m.