polaris side winder

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobs11

i think they are great .

much more sensitive than a feeder rod

i had 80lb of skimmers using one on my tench rod in ireland,while my mate struggled to see bites with his feeder rod(big big waves)

drown maggots not kids

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Glad to hear it Scoobs and welcome,

I just bought one to use in Cavan in April, on the advice of Dave Scouse in here.

Hope it works for me!
I'll let you know.

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
scoobs - you have now gone over the top. Way over. Way, way over.

Not sure how you have adapted it for fishing but are you speaking of

US Navy AIM-9 Side Winder Missile or Crotalus cerastes, the side winder snake?

And Trev would be the other one to fish with the same gear. Dang, one Trev at a time is plenty.

BTW - welcome to the mad house. Lovely place and some fun folks. Except they have let Trogg moderate. :D

Newt Vail

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I hate to be a party pooper but.... its a well known fact that all bites show at the tip first. Even with a light bobbin on a 3lb test curve rod the tip will bend first before the bobbin moves. I can see that an indicater near the butt would be an advantage in a strong wind (it can be sheltered) but a correctly set Quiver or swing tip will be more sensitive.

chill out go fishing

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
I have also used the sidewinder instrong winds over here(uk) with good results especially when fishing at distance for small fish.Dont know why but it may be due to the sidewinder being a lighter tip than a quiver and its tensioned against line running down the side of the rod.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
LOL NEWT!

Now just a minute man!
Minuteman? get it doh!
Anyway, I got it on Scouses advice, cos I too have fished those vast loughs in Ireland and I hope NOT to use it, but if the wind does strike, believe it will be more sensitive than a firm tip.
PLUS since I discovered the firm who supplies em comes from here in Chesterfield!

Well

Cheers
Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I havent used one but I would suggest that if it is used then ensure the line runs straight do not have any angle on the line from the tip. This will ensure its at its most sensitive.

chill out go fishing

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
I cannot see how you can use it without an angle John,
As I understand it, you dip the tip of your rod under the surface of the water, ensuring all of your line is buried from the tip to the bomb and therefore out of the wind.
the polaris clips onto the rod, usually between 1st and second rod ring, and the 'tip' angles out at up to 45 degrees, dependant on tension.
A bite is signified by the tip being moved in towards the rod. If there was no angle, there could be no movement as far as I can see, or am I not understanding how this thing works?
Is this another 8.99 I can put down to my Tackle Tart box?
Help!

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Perhaps I didnt explain myself... I was talking of an angle between the tip ring of the rod and the bait. Ensure the rod points at the bait. This will cut down to a minimum any resistance

chill out go fishing

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Got you, Yeah,
Even I can understand that lol.
Thanks John, Yes you do set up as we used to in the swing tip days, rather than side on as when using a quiver.
This actually I prefer as at long range you have a greater strike arc, although as I am experimenting with braid this year, perhaps I wont need it.

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

vectradog

Re polaris sidewinder.
I have one of the originals bought specifically for Ireland but use it all over now.
Not only are they excellent in windy conditions but on some commercial fisheries or overgrown pegs where there is not enough room to set your rod up parallel to the water you can fish with the rod pointing straight at the bait with as much if not more sensitivity than using the tip(P.S. this is the correct way to set up with a sidewinder,"fish with the rod tip well submerged and pointing directly at the bait")even in the worst of winds bite detection is still outstanding and as with normal tip fishing this is enhanced even more by the use of braid.
They can be purchased on the Anglers World website
Definitely a good investment
Dave

norm

i use sidewinders in ireland in windy conditions.
i think they are superb.
use your wagler rod and not you feeder rod,
because if you use your feeder rod the tip will bend before showing any indication on the side winder, on a stiff rod you will hardley miss a bite
i would not go to ireland without one
icon_smile_wink.gif

it isint the size of the tiddler that counts

martin.

Account Locked
hi
just to put some of the record straight
1- you position the rod with the tip submersed pionting towards
feeder/bomb
2- you position robwith eyes pionted down & sidewinder on rod between 1st & 2nd ring from butt at right angles(horizontal)
3- when you tension line set sidewinder to just slight pressure
(as you would quiver tip)

This way it will register both takes & dropbacks.
If it used & set up correctly it will detect the finest bites even in the wind.
I have used them in various conditions on a selection of waters in england, scotland & ireland with good results.
they are the same as a lot of other things you have to get used to them to get best results but i rate them alongside qiuver & swingtip
as part of my ess. kit

tight lines.
martin.

G

Its a must in Ireland or anywhere in windy conditions,excelent description Martin, which version do you prefere Martin? version 1 or version 2,
Version 1 for me, although version 2 can be fitted when your rod is acually set up,as you know Martin sidewinder 1 has to be fitted when setting up.
Yes i can verify that Norm used a waggler rod with sidewinder at Cavan last year.
Trev a word of warning if you use the sidewinder with BRAID watch your rod, if you use it as described by Martin,and you get a large Tench on its goodbye to your rod my friend, i nearly lost my rod 2 years ago, turned my back for a second and whoooosh, just grabbed the rod but, on the business end was a 7and 3/4lb tenchicon_smile_approve.gificon_smile_approve.gificon_smile_approve.gif beer-toast1.gif
Andy

martin.

Account Locked
hi andy
i have both 1 & 2. i tend to use 2 the most asyou get 3 different arms which give a slightly better sensitivty range.
also i use a free spool reelso that if the bigger fish show i can take sidewinder off & use a monkey climber with the spool disengaged
this is safer than losing your rod.

tight lines.
martin.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Thanks Andy,
I will be using Braid, so I'll try and watch carefully !
(Best not fall asleep hey!, Trogg would't like it anyway!)
BUT the best part is yet to come!
I will be testing it in less than 60 hours!
Yep catching Swift at 9.00 Saturday morning, in Cavan by 1.00 pm and spending the afternoon sussing swims!
Fishing pre-baited pegs on Lough Oughter by 1st light Sunday! Braid, Polaris and All!

Wish me luck fellers and keep the forum warm!

CYA

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 04 April 2002 10:02:58 PM

martin.

Account Locked
hi trev.
enjoy yourself & just keep filling the keepnets

TO all the rest
zippy will be gone sat morning we can all go fishing without the curse so we should catch this W/E
(only joking trev)
trev i neednt ask for you to have a couple(of dozen) of the blackstuff for me & the rest of us
beer-toast1.gif

tight lines.
martin.

norm

TREV
you lucky b*****d (lol)
i have exams in june (which i must pass to keep my job).i have a new baby comming in august (it is a girl)confirmed yesterday.
am i not to old for all of this? (32)
you said you were going to ireland in september
i may just see you there
hope so
norm

it isint the size of the tiddler that counts

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Toma - $6 each from Cabelas or Bass pro you can get a foam collar that fits nicely against the handle on the lower part of the rod. Enough floatation to keep rod handle on the surface even with the weight of the reel and they do not get in the way of anything if you are using fixed spool and probably not with a multiplier. For large rods 8", for small rods 6".

Shaped piece of foam with a hole thru the center, a slit along the side, and velcro bands to hold it on. On or off in around 5 seconds or so.

Newt Vail

G

Thanks for that Newt,i have learned my lesson, DO NOT TURN AROUND when fishing with braid{LoL}
Side winder,more like an Exocet missile{the rod i mean}when fishing with the sidewinder Newt the rod must be pointing in the direction of the baited area,with rod tip below the water surface,the "normal" way to have rod when fishing with mono line is to have rod tip above water, maybe an inch or 2.
Best regards Newt

Andy homer.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.