Pointing feeder rod straight out

squimp

Site Supporter
Up in the air is ok as you say beachcaster style as the rod will still absorb the initial take......Or straight out with a baitrunner......and or a electronic indicator.
At an angle with a slight bend seems to be best and most traditional option as you do need the rod to go round
That’s a pretty good summation.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
The reason the rod is pointing forwards is that the angler is on a clip and has cast straight. Theoretically (ie what the magazines tell you) you should swing the rod round sideways before the feeder lands, and feather the line so the feeder gently hits the clip. But that is not always possible because of the features you are casting to, and it's not within the capability of some anglers.

For instance if there's a gap in vegetation straight in front of you, or if you are casting to within a couple of inches of the bank, keeping the rod straight is more accurate. You'll not miss bites - the fish hooks itself. But you do have to realise that the rod has slightly less 'give' using this method. So gently does it.

I've seen a few anglers do this now when method fishing - cast out, tighten up, and lay the rod on the rest pointing straight out down the line rather than being at an angle to it.

I've used this style before when the bankside vegetation had been high, or when the swim is tight, but you don't get any bite indication as such other than the rod being pulled on the rest, or the drag slipping. Unless you fish a slack line to the tip and watch that for indications perhaps.

What is the reasoning for it and does it work?
Funny enough I've just watched Lee Kerry doing the same thing today! The tip seems to lift away from the surface but it doesn't seem scientifically possible, he certainly caught though!

rudd

Site Supporter
Funny enough I've just watched Lee Kerry doing the same thing today! The tip seems to lift away from the surface but it doesn't seem scientifically possible, he certainly caught though!
Its a drop back bite then?

alanmac

Site Supporter
Not if up against an island or far bank as the fish can only go sideways or towards you keeping the flat spot the same or increasing it, likewise there is no saying which way a fish would go in open water
Or, straight into the rushes.

Further to my earlier post I am an advocate of fishing at an angle with a couple of turns on the reel however yesterday I had no option but to fish straight out in front with the rod tip touching the water and casting circa 30mtrs tight to the rushes in front using a pellet feeder. I had to introduce this half way through my match as could not locate fish regular elsewhere.

The fish shoal up tight to the reeds as there is a drop off in front so tight it has to be, if you drop shorter the bites drop significantly. It’s not a method I am fond of as you have to sit forward all tensed up ready for the bite, hand on reel handle ready to wind in quickly, if you look away or are not ready then too late and the reeds part, I was lucky yesterday as I lost no fish other than a couple of pull outs. 6.1b maxima main line with .22 guru 15” hook lengths,
fishery rules, surprisingly doesn’t make a huge difference from the normal 4” length, maybe costs you a couple of fish. Sometimes needs must. Not for the faint hearted.

PAB

Site Supporter
never ever do it unless it is sticking up in the air beach caster style i want to see every twitch on my rod not let the reel feel it. it is just another fashionable fad in my opinion.

squimp

Site Supporter
I fish a particular bolt rig method for (primarily) tench where I point the rod at the feeder (usually a 50g black cap) and fish a razor tight line. I use a bobbin against the rod and the fish are hooked against the reel.

it is devastatingly effective but does require a fighting drag (or Baitrunner) reel In case of fast takes And the line taken out of the casting clip after each cast.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Dangerous way to fish in the wrong hands. Your only shock absorber is the rod. Take that away and you have line going straight to the reel. Strike, as many tend to do, and you break.
Nope...if you fish a method theres no need to strike, specially if your hook is a QM1 just a gentle lift as the fish is usually already hooked... also anything more than about 20 yards out, the elasticity of the line is a big cushion... been using one over a year and even hooking carp has been straightforward with no fuss

smiffy

Site Supporter
Nope...if you fish a method theres no need to strike, specially if your hook is a QM1 just a gentle lift as the fish is usually already hooked... also anything more than about 20 yards out, the elasticity of the line is a big cushion... been using one over a year and even hooking carp has been straightforward with no fuss
Even with the best will in the world there are anglers that strike as a reflex. Hence dangerous in the wrong hands👍