Pointing feeder rod straight out

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've seen a few anglers do this now when method fishing - cast out, tighten up, and lay the rod on the rest pointing straight out down the line rather than being at an angle to it.

I've used this style before when the bankside vegetation had been high, or when the swim is tight, but you don't get any bite indication as such other than the rod being pulled on the rest, or the drag slipping. Unless you fish a slack line to the tip and watch that for indications perhaps.

What is the reasoning for it and does it work?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I almost always have it point fairly straight (not dead straight as the flow tends to take the feeder slightly downstream) with the tip at say 40-50 degrees off the horizontal like a less extreme version of what a barbel or beach angler would do. Can see the bites easier and stops a bit of the tow on the line.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
When snagged up, which way do you have the rod when pulling for a break ? I would never point the rod straight, unless using a baitrunner.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
When snagged hard I never pull with the rod bent I either pull on the line or walk backwards with the rod pointing at the water. Comes out or breaks off easy without risking the rod or flying out of one snag into another.

alanmac

Site Supporter
When fishing tight to rushes / reedbeds and the fish are very close to them then it is a way of increasing your chances of catching. You need to be cranked and tooled up and at the ready as the bites are severe, not a pretty way of fishing the tip but sometimes necessary when other methods are failing. Be prepared to loose a bit of terminal tackle.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
with the rod pointing at the water. Comes out or breaks off easy
My point exactly, so why would anyone have the rod pointing straight out, surely a fierce bite would be more prone to snapping the line this way.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My point exactly, so why would anyone have the rod pointing straight out, surely a fierce bite would be more prone to snapping the line this way.
When the rods angled 40-50 degrees skyward that angle takes up the ferociousity of the bites in the same way having it pointed to either side would. I agree though having your rod laid flat pointing straight out wouldn't be wise.

pies

Site Supporter
Its normally almost straight. This allows you use full power of the rod to control the fish

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Not something I've ever considered doing. Suppose it would be okay if your rod was pointing down to the water, so any bite indication would see the tip rise up.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not something I've ever considered doing. Suppose it would be okay if your rod was pointing down to the water, so any bite indication would see the tip rise up.
Easier with tip pointing up as then the tip just goes over when you get a bite. Not that I have it pointed dead straight though as my less than perfect casting and the current gives a little angle.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I use one too... lovely bit o kit

smiffy

Site Supporter
Dangerous way to fish in the wrong hands. Your only shock absorber is the rod. Take that away and you have line going straight to the reel. Strike, as many tend to do, and you break.

alsur

Site Supporter
The only way I could see it working is if fishing tight to far bank say on a snake lake when fish couldn't swim directly away from you and would pull top to right or left or towards you . Not a method I have or would use myself.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Easier with tip pointing up as then the tip just goes over when you get a bite. Not that I have it pointed dead straight though as my less than perfect casting and the current gives a little angle.
I like the rod pointing down with the tip just about on the surface. Still prefer it at an angle and not pointing straight towards the feeder. It’s not always possible if you have got bushes or reedbeds etc in the way. You are still aware of a bite even if you do have to point it straight out.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Seen it on a couple of YouTube tutorials about method fishing and didn't get it either - I was taught to fish a ledger or feeder on a quiver tip with the rod at 45-90 degrees to the weight and that’s the way I fished a method but in honesty I’ve only ever fished the method feeder once so far and my way worked so I didn’t consider trying the straight out approach.