Poaching report

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Image may contain: 1 person, standing, beard and outdoor
Image may contain: 1 person, standing, beard, outdoor and nature
Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor and water
Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sport, people standing, outdoor and nature
Sherwood Forest Fishery
12 hrs ·
People caught at Sookhlome taking and killing fish today..
Absolutely fuming just been to our local fishery Sookholme for a match. This load of scum turned up four people fishing one peg watched them catch a fish and throw it high up into the air and back into the water that was just a decoy because the next 3 fish were not returned our match was just finishing and one of our guys caught one of them stamping on a carps head .There was 11 of us on the match and we decided to confront them we asked them if they had killed any fish one of them spoke English and said your welcome to check they had a cool box which was empty but at the side of the bank were 2 carrier bags with 3 carp in them one was still moving but died .
It got quite heated and they left the fishery warned never to come back .
Many local people get a lot of pleasure from this fishery and it's very difficult to police as its impossible to stop access from all areas the bailiffs do there best but we all need to be together and try and stamp this out.
Please share this and prevent these morons from ruining any more of our fisherys.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The question does have to be asked though - what were the fishery owners doing about it as there seems to be no mention other than its difficult to police.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
How many more of these will there be. I know how many more there wouldn't be if instead of issuing the ticket and taking the money first a license check was the first priority.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Did you get there car registration number, and pass the photos and reg number to the police?

fishing jazzman

How many more of these will there be. I know how many more there wouldn't be if instead of issuing the ticket and taking the money first a license check was the first priority.

Well said, none of the fisheries near me have never bothered to ask for a licence, making money is much more important. I can honestly say that in all the years I have fished I have never been asked to show my fishing licence, except by EA staff. I think fisheries accept their fish loses as an everyday occurance and just increase peg fees to the honest fishermen instead, who care, like and enjoy the sport.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I'm a bailiff on my club waters and I have no authority to check anything other than a club book, yes you can ask but what do you do if they refuse ? I certainly won't get into a heated argument with them, I am too long in the tooth for that and take a long time to heal now.
A great many of these low life scum don't think twice about pulling a knife on you, and of course they are never alone. Now that puts the odds in their favour by a massive amount, much more than 50%.
If you can prove that they stole fish as in poached them, & if you or the riperian owner are payed up members of the Angling Trust, then they will take a dim view of it and act accordingly.
In the mean time.........................................................

Paul.P

Perhaps bailiffs should be allowed to carry guns & then shoot the culprits, after all, one dead culprit is one less problem !

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm a bailiff on my club waters and I have no authority to check anything other than a club book

No mate, you are a waterkeeper...the term bailiff is a courtesy term, i only know that because an EA bailiff told me off for saying i bailiffed my own waters ;)

I know a couple of ex-paras that used to be bailiffs for a water in the south....they were called out one night when a house overlooking the fishery reported torches flashing around the pools, they went straight over, picking up a lad who lived down the road from them on the way.

They drove an old landy lightweight and took it across the fishery in total darkness and as quiet as they could....... just as the came through the trees they switched on the spotlights on the roof bar and jumped out leaving the landy to roll to a stop, one of the poachers made the mistake of threatening to kill them if they didn't walk away.... that's all they needed, the 3rd guy had a camera and had filmed the threats so, as the two lads felt fear for their safety they "protected" themselves.

The police arrived to 5 ziptied EE's laying on the ground trying to claim they were just lost and had been walking across the grounds by accident when they were jumped without warning, then the 3rd guy steps out of the trees and shows the coppers the camera footage....case closed as they say :D

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
You are right I suppose it's just a wrongly used term. My nephew was a high court bailliff, or enforcement officer as they are called today.

Freesolo82

Disgusting I am really at a loss for words, did they have licences and actually pay for a ticket?

sporty

Site Supporter
Ask to see Licences seems a good idea ,that will probably be enough to see the back of them also the need for landing net and un hooking mat

cjsid

It's alright asking to see licenses but most of them are not stupid they have them , so then what do you do besides leave someone to watch them , most are not hard to spot their tackle leaves a lot to be desired

Total

Site Supporter
No mate, you are a waterkeeper...the term bailiff is a courtesy term, i only know that because an EA bailiff told me off for saying i bailiffed my own waters ;)

I know a couple of ex-paras that used to be bailiffs for a water in the south....they were called out one night when a house overlooking the fishery reported torches flashing around the pools, they went straight over, picking up a lad who lived down the road from them on the way.

They drove an old landy lightweight and took it across the fishery in total darkness and as quiet as they could....... just as the came through the trees they switched on the spotlights on the roof bar and jumped out leaving the landy to roll to a stop, one of the poachers made the mistake of threatening to kill them if they didn't walk away.... that's all they needed, the 3rd guy had a camera and had filmed the threats so, as the two lads felt fear for their safety they "protected" themselves.

The police arrived to 5 ziptied EE's laying on the ground trying to claim they were just lost and had been walking across the grounds by accident when they were jumped without warning, then the 3rd guy steps out of the trees and shows the coppers the camera footage....case closed as they say :D

Did you keep the film footage? (....third man in the trees);)(y)