plumming the depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdavey

exiled scouser
Hi all

I have seen several people recommending that you should plum the depth before starting to fish a new venue. Can anybody tell me how to plum the depth properly and do i need to buy anything special to do it?
Will it help me to catch more fish cos I need all the help I can get!!

thanks

Dave

maxwell_hung

caster blaster
Plumbing allows you to get an idea of the contours of the lake/river bed. Doing this will give you a better understanding of any underwater 'features' that may exist, like shelves for example.

There's no real point in fish at a depth of 4 foot when the place you're fishing is only 2 1/2 foot deep unless you specifically want to.

onto the plumbing itself

Pole
I normally go for a pretty heavy plummet, unless the bed is really muddy/silty Start from the edge and work my way out around every foot or so to find any biggish shelves etc. Then I will work my way around what I found to get a better picture. Also have a plumb around to the sides etc. you may find some interesting spots.

Waggler
Normally use a shot, something like an SSG which is gently squeezed over the hook. You can sometimes get away with plummets depending on how far you cast, but can be hard with casting with a big weight around your hook.

With both methods I aim to find the 'dead on' depth. That is so that without the plummet on the bait will be touching the bottom. Then mark the rod/pole with this depth with a bit of tippex or leccy tape.

You can then happily try laying on or coming up in the water safe in the knowledge that if you want to go back to dead on, you just need to align back up with your marker.

Matt

Apache

Thats the way I do it Matt. I use a plummet as sometimes the SSG can get stuck on weed.

Tight Lines,

Datafile4.asp

Datafile4.asp

Heathlands Angling Club - http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.comPinkieDrowner's Forum (Under 18's only) - http://www.maggotdrowning.com/younguns

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just a little addition to the above, don't use any shot on your line apart from a couple of small ones to lock your float in place.
It might seem obvious but you'd be suprised how many people shot their float up first and then plumb the depths [:)]

Dave
Datafile2.asp

Free MD's Stickers

Matt_Moore

So on the pole, you use no weight what so ever? the plummet is all the weight u need,
so that u can get your float at dead depth ...schweet

maxwell_hung

caster blaster
Well with the pole you can plumb with the rig fully made up. If you lower the rig with the plumb straight down in the water you can feel when the plummet hits the bottom. So it doesn't really matter whether there's weight on the line or not as long as you have a heavy enough plummet.

Matt

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
yeh, with a pole you can have your rig fully shotted and made up for plumbing, use one of those cork based plummets (better than those clip on ones), and lower it gently down, when the plummet reaches the bottom you will feel a slight thud, and the line will go slack, as it will stop pulling line dowwn.

J.Tolley

superdavey

exiled scouser
thanks guys I think I'll give it a go later on this week and hopefully
it will help me find the bigger fish

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.