Plummet loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiny Tim

Hi everyone,
Wondering i always seem to lose my plummets when casting etc. Is there any way of Keeping them on the hook? Daft question i know! Also there is a plummet device which is always advertised in the magazines called "depth finder" by "swop-lok". Anyone gave that a go?
Thanks all only been member for two days you all seem very helpful. Cheers!

angler-mark

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the club.

I use plummets that have got a piece of cork in the bottom which you insert your hook. unless you are casting too hard they stay on with no trouble at all. I also use the Swop-Lok depth float and it is very good and they are pretty cheap to buy and come with full instructions for use.

Tight Lines

Mark

Jeff

Hi Tiny. I normally put a SSG or AAA just above the hook, Gives just about the same result.

Tight Lines

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Jeff same here mate.

The only plummets i've ever lost are those stupid clip on ones, i reckon they were invented to pee anglers off cos they never stay on unless you're just swinging your line out a gentle cast & they go off the line/hook like a rocket [:(].

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

TINY

Tiny
I use the ones with cork in the bottom and never lose them.
Here you go Al..have a maggot on your hook when using the clip on type as this helps to keep them on.

Andy.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not with how hard i chuck em out mate the bloody plummet takes the maggot with it [;)]

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

carpbob3

i have lost 2 of the clip on ones they are as much use as a chocolate fire gaurd..... the ones with cork on the bottom are generally good or as suggested a couple of swan shot works a treat....

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cork for me as well. I generally use the 1/4 oz ones for pole use or sometimes nip a swan onto the hook itself but don't pinch the knot

Dave

BlythMags

So it would seem that most people use a plummet to find out the depth they are fishing.

I was also looking into buying a swoplok Depthfinder - are they any good?

Thanks

Alan

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You mean one of these: www.swop-lok.com

Nope never tried one

Dave

angler-mark

Alan,
they are a very good product. I think they are around a fiver and are available from most tackle shops. I use small bead swivels (drennan) to attach my floats on the line for waggler fishing because if you are fishing a deep swim you can use it as a slider and it's also easier to change floats at any time. I put the bead on the line and attach the hook and then put a plummet on the hook. I then clip the depth float on and cast out, the float comes to the surface and when you reel in you have got the correct depth. I then unclip the depth float and attach the float I'm going to use for fishing and then add shot to the line as required, it's as easy as that. [:D][:D][:D]

Tight Lines

Mark

Last edited:

stevieb

Shakin
Site Supporter
Hiya Tiny Tim...
I also use the cork bottomed plummets for waggler fishing but the clip on plummets are really designed for pole fishing where fine hooks are being used as pushing a fine hook into the cork can blunt the hook enough to make the hooking of small baits like blood worm, joker and squatts etc difficult.
Tight lines
Steve

Tiny Tim

Well thanks everyone you wouldnt think there could be so much talk about a simple plummet would you! Anyway thanks again for all your advice.

Happyeater

How are bead swivels used to attach a waggler to the line, please? I've never come across this, sems like a good idea. [:)]

angler-mark

Hi Happyeater,
you just thread the bead on the line before you put any shot on, then tie your hook on and use the depth float to get your depth. Then put a small D link through the eye of the swivel bead and attach the float. If you want to see a diagram of it, look on Archie Braddocks website and you will see it. www.braddocksbaits.co.uk
I've used this method for waggler fishing for a long time and find it easier than using a slider float. [:)][:)][:)]

Tight Lines

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.