Plumbing to exact depth

Zerkalo

I'm sure it was in the last Des Shipp Q&A, I might be mistaken, but he mentioned (I think it was for pellet fishing) that he prefers to fish over-depth rather than at exact depth.

The Hook Length Box thread got me thinking, as I can't guarantee my hooklengths are exactly the same length, it's rare when float fishing commercials, whatever bait I use (usually maggots as I fish in Winter) that I plumb to exact depth, I am usually 2 inches on bottom or just off bottom in rarer certain situations.

Do you plumb up to exact depth and am I doing it wrong?

Theory is that the fish don't touch the line as they swallow the bait so you get better bites.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
always plumb up to half way on the float body, same as Jamie Hughes and if it works for him then its good enough for me, def better bites since doing that and brilliant hook holds

he has proven that the rig isnt straight in the water, and there is always a curve, the underwater videos are amazing as well

Zerkalo

That pretty much confirms what I thought. I think with waggler fishing I am more likely to lay more line on the bottom, but with pole fishing my usual is around two inches, gives a slight bit of leeway in not having my hooklengths millimetre perfect.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i find when waggler fishing on the deck i nearly always need to lay line on because of wind and tow as much more line that is effected

with a loop tier its dead easy to get every hooklength the same size

Zerkalo

I've just realised as well, when pole fishing I mark the depth on my pole, so I always know when I change a hooklength what depth I'm at even when I tie them on the bank!

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I have been told on this site it's impossible to fish dead depth! :(

In fact I can't see the sense in having a rule of thumb when plumbing up - more often than not I do a final check for depth with a grain of sweetcorn, or a BB shot (as recommended by Allan Scotthorne). That will sit on the top of silt. and then pushing the float a quarter-of-an-inch down will sink it.

I am continually altering my depth, fishing in different spots, so it wouldn't matter to me if my hooklengths were of unequal lengths. And actually in Summer I nearly always fish for carp with straight-through rigs. If I need to change the hook I just cut it off and tie on another and re-check for depth.

Of course in the course of a session I will be fishing dead depth and laying on at different times, with that same rig.

I have got the impression, over the years, that as commercials gradually silt up, the fish often prefer to feed just above it, and that they dislike continually sucking in this old, contaminated silt. Has anyone else got that impression?

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
In lakes/ponds I try to fish slightly over depth hopefully with about 6 inch of line laying on the bottom. Trotting in rivers which is my preference to lake/pond fishing opens up a different scenario. Having just come back to this form of fishing after a lifetime of fly fishing I would appreciate inputs and guidance regarding this method.

Zerkalo

Definitely agree on the silt. When I fish Kingsnordley, a silty venue in places, on my long line is one of the situations where I fish just off bottom and still pick up the skimmers among the Carp. I have heard that sticking a plummet on to re plumb up might spook the fish but I have never found that to be the case, maybe on canals in winter where I'd use a SSG with rubber instead, and that's not needed if you mark the pole. You can't mark a flick tip whip as easy though.

On rivers, I am still learning myself, but usually fish overdepth but also have to bear in mind snags and the float dragging under so would appreciate input on that too!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I just get it roughly dead depth, whether that be tripping the bottom or just off the bottom it doesn’t seem to make a massive difference.

Zerkalo

I just get it roughly dead depth, whether that be tripping the bottom or just off the bottom it doesn’t seem to make a massive difference.

Rivers tend to have undulating bottoms anyway I find, at least the two I fish. And waggler fishing is more difficult to be sure you're in exact same spot as when pole fishing.

River fishing, the haphazard way I do it is to start overdepth, as difficult to be precise, and then either shallow up or take shot off until the float doesn't drag under but never sure if I'm doing it right.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
You plumb dead depth, and think it's bang on, move to the left or right and the float disappears because of a dip, or maybe it'll sit slanted because of a 'lumpy bit' on the bottom. Or it tends to pee it down which puts more water in and again, you're not at dead depth. Isn't fishing wonderful eh? Get the feeder rod out and it's dead depth every time.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

The few times I've fished canals recently with very thin float tips reminds me of why I used to use bristle grease for those reasons. Also whenever I fish rivers I usually spend the 'first few' trots striking into thin air as the float is dragging under.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Rivers tend to have undulating bottoms anyway I find, at least the two I fish. And waggler fishing is more difficult to be sure you're in exact same spot as when pole fishing.

River fishing, the haphazard way I do it is to start overdepth, as difficult to be precise, and then either shallow up or take shot off until the float doesn't drag under but never sure if I'm doing it right.
I just use a small plummet when stick fishing, plumb up the run I want to fish and set it as near as dead depth, run the float through and hopefully there's no snags, if it keeps dragging then I shallow it up. It helps to have a nice clean run above gravel which there are a few on the Severn you can spot when the rivers really low, take note and go back when it's up a few feet.
I'm no expert on river fishing though, just my interpretation.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Yet to see a lake with a glass flat bottom.
I remember walking in a lake when it was getting dug. Especially around margins and around the 1st shelf and around bottom of 1st shelf.
Anything but flat.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
One thing that you need to be aware of when plumbing up using a heavy plummet, is that the line will stretch slightly and in my opinion, you are better double checking by using a shot etc: to confirm the exact depth.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter

I just use a small plummet when stick fishing, plumb up the run I want to fish and set it as near as dead depth, run the float through and hopefully there's no snags, if it keeps dragging then I shallow it up. It helps to have a nice clean run above gravel which there are a few on the Severn you can spot when the rivers really low, take note and go back when it's up a few feet.
I'm no expert on river fishing though, just my interpretation.

Yep that’s what I tend to do. Just a case of tinkering to get it just clear of the bottom or just tripping the bottom rather than properly catching on the bottom.

Zerkalo

On the 'refined' lift method, overshotted with just a small shot touching bottom, you have to be very accurate but you can tell as the float doesn't sit right unless you're dead depth with the final shot. Deadly for Crucians though. Got that from a Martin Bowler tip.

There will be times I fish more overdepth than two inches on commercials as well but only in rare situations I will have the final dropper touching bottom.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I tend to plumb to the bottom of the float body, gives me about an inch on the deck.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have been told on this site it's impossible to fish dead depth! :(

In fact I can't see the sense in having a rule of thumb when plumbing up - more often than not I do a final check for depth with a grain of sweetcorn, or a BB shot (as recommended by Allan Scotthorne). That will sit on the top of silt. and then pushing the float a quarter-of-an-inch down will sink it.

I am continually altering my depth, fishing in different spots, so it wouldn't matter to me if my hooklengths were of unequal lengths. And actually in Summer I nearly always fish for carp with straight-through rigs. If I need to change the hook I just cut it off and tie on another and re-check for depth.

Of course in the course of a session I will be fishing dead depth and laying on at different times, with that same rig.

I have got the impression, over the years, that as commercials gradually silt up, the fish often prefer to feed just above it, and that they dislike continually sucking in this old, contaminated silt. Has anyone else got that impression?

I think the silt issue certainly explained the poor fishing at Shearsby. The new owner too around 4 foot of silt out.