Plumbing puzzle

Sportsman

I am really sorry to have to keep asking for advice, but I have a plumbing problem and I don't have three weeks to spare before I can get a plumber. I am trying to work on a downstairs bathroom and part of that is to remove and replace an old vanitory unit/hand basin. Supply is from pipes sticking out the wall, through isolation valve and into flexible feeds to the taps. Shouldn't be a problem, but the cheap and nasty isolation valve on the hot side decided not to work today. so I can't remove the flexi pipe. I would like to isolate the hot supply to the pipe to replace the dodgy valve, but I can't seem to do that and that is where the puzzle is.
We have two hot water supply tanks, one electrical/immersion and one connected to gas boiler, which supplies heating and hot water. Output from both tanks join and then the pipe goes into a large red alkathene pipe which disappears into the floor. There is a similar set up for cold water into a blue pipe. Each pipe has a large isolation valve
Feed from the hot pipe goes to utility room, kitchen, hand basin in toilet and bathroom, in that order.but if I close the valve on the red pipe there is no supply to the utility or kitchen, but supply to toilet and bathroom seems normal. Any suggestions on where this water is getting through and what I can do about it would be welcomed.
Is my only hope to try to drain down the tanks?
thanks.
ps, any plumbers who fancy a free holiday in France and can fly out tomorrow would be very welcome :giggle:

tysontim

Site Supporter
Got to be a separate feed somewhere, Is the boiler a combi ???
If so just shut off mains cold and that will stop the hot feed .
If that doesn’t work you may have to drain it down.

carphauler

I had a similar problem recently, was plumbing a kitchen for my son, turned all the kitchen supply off but the hot side was still flowing, needed to turn off the cold feed into the boiler at the other end of the house, rooky mistake, have you tried turning off the main cold feed?

breadflake

Site Supporter
Is there stoptap on the cold feed to your tank that is heated by electric immersion ?

Sportsman

Thanks for your answers. I haven't solved the puzzle, but I have solved my problem. :giggle: I fiddled with the malfunctioning tap and maneged to slow the flow down to a drip. The disconnected the flexi hose, attached a new, more sturdy, isolation tap and then I could just open up the old tap and control the flow with the new tap. Looks a bit odd, but it will be behind a cupboard, so I can live with it.:D