Plumbing Insurance

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Depends if it was in good condition or not.
If they see loose tiles or no cement etc they will not pay.
Also depends on excess as well.
depends on the insurer ... some insurers try to wriggle out of paying up
others are reassuringly expensive
'
@NoCarpPlease we did have house insurance for about two years
and the flashing lead between my and next started leaking,the rain was coming inside the bed room
so we put a claim to be told no your roof is not covered i had to pay out a fair bit for that wife no more
agreed - not all policies are equal ... you generally get what you pay for ... which is why comparison sites are not the whole answer.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
So if your pipes freeze - no issue
But if your house burns down 😳

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I've known a few people which almost never bother having house insurance (buildings & contents). Only get it when changing mortgage lenders.
so in the worst case scenario
a) they'd have to pay for rebuilding AND continue to pay the mortgage costs?
or
b) if a person was severely injured at their home they would have to pay ongoing care costs

self insurance carries risk ... generally less of a worry if there is little to no 3rd party at potential risk, as that is where the costs can really mount.

stikflote

Site Supporter
i dont have a mortgage neither do the two mates i know
one of is them really struggling with his heating bill and i dont think he s eating much
hes 81.
Im 80 this year

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
agreed - in that sort of situation I'd be very tempted to accept the risk and prioritise food and heating.

stikflote

Site Supporter
I wonder how much you earn i was lucky to bring £30 t £40 or pound home for years
it was a real struggle british rail wages were rubbish for years ,only when itb went private
did it start paying well which was too late for me

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm in the building trade and I would recommend taking out house insurance even if it is just the basic buildings only cover, not contents.
Your home is your biggest asset. I know of one family that didn't have insurance and they had a house fire. Not only did it gut their house it also damaged a party wall (the adjoining house).
They are trying to rebuild their house on a shoestring, plus are liable for the damage to the house next door.

Re your roof. If a tile or the flashing got damaged or blown out the insurers might say it's not covered due to wear and tear. However any plasterwork or decorations that got damaged as a result of water ingress would be covered regardless.

Get your house insured Keith, even if you do it on a direct debit.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Be even more not bothering with insurance this year. With all the cost of living rises

John Step

Site Supporter
We have been with British Gas for years. I'm certain others will not like them, but we have always found them really good (apart from one incident, where their Dyno Rod plumber wanted to dismantle something, which even I could see didn't need taking apart. Luckily I was in when they called).

With our new boiler we are paying about £250 a year, which includes:
  • Annual boiler service 2
  • Boiler and controls
  • Central heating
  • Plumbing
  • Drains
  • Home electrics

You can get a combination of cover, their plumbing one, it says comes in at £30 a year.
  • Repairs to the plumbing system in your home and outbuildings and the water supply pipe within the boundary of your property
  • Unblocking and repairing your drains and waste pipes to restore flow
  • Accidental damage

I stopped my British Gas Homecover for boilers this year. We were with them on the premise that there would always be someone to turn out.
Boiler leak. No heating. No hot water.
Over a month to wait sorry!
Now with a local plumber.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave i do agree, but even a Direct debit does not put the price down

I just cannot understand why you would consider plumbing insurance, but not buildings cover. If your house burnt down, where would you live, how would you pay to clear the plot and rebuild?

Chervil

Site Supporter
I stopped my British Gas Homecover for boilers this year. We were with them on the premise that there would always be someone to turn out.
Boiler leak. No heating. No hot water.
Over a month to wait sorry!
Now with a local plumber.
I have never had a problem with them coming out. It took a couple of days when we had a problem with one of the toilets, but that was only because we were pushed back as we had another two that were working.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave i do agree, but even a Direct debit does not put the price down
No but it spreads the cost to make it more affordable.

Cost of replacing ridge tile(s) - £250+
Cost of repairing broken door/window - £350+
Cost of repairing plaster and decorations following a leak - £650+
Cost of rebuilding post fire - £20,000 - £150,000

Even as a tight arse Yorkshireman, house insurance is a no-brainer :)

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Just asking, but is it windy where you are today.....?

20220218_080122.jpg

Just a bit😢
20220218_080118.jpg

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Sell a motorcycle and make things a bit easier for yourself. It sounds like you're living to a tight budget yet you have 3 motorcycles. A man to get his priorities right.

stikflote

Site Supporter
yes i do have three bikes yes ive also got a lot of fishiong tackle thats because i didnt pay out on insurance
so i saved, it I look at it this way you are paying a lot of money out for no returns
the last time we had insurance through my bank we had a problem with roof
so phoned them up got told your insurance does not cover the roof
it cost a fair bit ,wife went off one said we are not having more insurance,

Ps you interested in buying a Harley

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
I'll give you £500 and 5 years free house insurance and I'll make sure there's roof cover included too.:D

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
so in the worst case scenario
a) they'd have to pay for rebuilding AND continue to pay the mortgage costs?
or
b) if a person was severely injured at their home they would have to pay ongoing care costs

self insurance carries risk ... generally less of a worry if there is little to no 3rd party at potential risk, as that is where the costs can really mount.
Quite. If someone can afford it then I don't understand why anyone wouldn't. It's just not worth the risk.

Imagine..............plug-in electric car, cable from house to car................postman trips on it and goes ar$e over and bangs head................ = nightmare !