Plumbing Help Please - How to Unstick a Stopcock?

PJG

In the loft I have a stuck open stopcock - is there a lubricant or simple technique for freeing it? Many thanks in advance.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The washer in the body will be knackered or the pin where the arm is supported will be corroded.

Turn the water off and replace it. If it's an old brass type you can buy the washers for pennies and replace it by unscrewing the cap on the side of the arm. But again turn the water off first

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
The washer in the body will be knackered or the pin where the arm is supported will be corroded.

Turn the water off and replace it. If it's an old brass type you can buy the washers for pennies and replace it by unscrewing the cap on the side of the arm. But again turn the water off first
As Dave says ,i just replace the whole part as its usually full of limescale but the cheapest is clean the old one and change the washers

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is it a stopcock or a gatevolve ? The reason I ask is because if it is a stopcock, when you replace it there is an arrow on the side showing the direction of the flow ! Which ever the best thing to do is replace it !

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
This is called sticktion or cold welding coupled with chemical depositation. .Must values are left in the open position. You should never, never open a value or spindle value fully, as the spindle threads will cold weld onto the body threads and the water partickles over time will also bind over the threads. Being fully wound open, there is only one ditrection of travel, that is to attempt to close the value, often impossible.

Turn off at mains, and when you have placed you new value in position, fully open it, and then turn it about 1/8 revolution to close it. You have then removed all pressure off the thread, and given yourself the option of turning the value both ways when next turning it closed.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
In the loft I have a stuck open stopcock - is there a lubricant or simple technique for freeing it? Many thanks in advance.

Just for clarification, is it a stopcock or a float valve ?

Stopcock...
1598945105868.png

Float valve

1598945228548.jpg

PJG

It's a brass stopcock. Many, many thanks for your replies, much appreciated.