Pleasure or practice

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fishing has always been a pleasure for me regardless of the discipline and the day it ceases to be will in all probability be the day they screw the lid down on my coffin. ;)
While I love match fishing, nowadays it's very much about the social side of it for me, catching up with friends and enjoying the banter that makes it enjoyable, the odd brown envelope and Nugget is a bonus.
However I'll happily spend a couple of days on my own or with a couple of friends along with a couple of carp rods and the bivvie and just chill. Other times it's just a chance to get away from it all with just your thoughts, In fact when my mother died I had a real bad time coming to terms with it and it took the wife telling me to go and have a days fishing, that gave me the opportunity to spend some time alone with my own thoughts to finally get my head around it.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Can’t do pleasure fishing, personally, I don’t think you can practice for a match, unless you are fishing a match, quite a few of the venues down here have cost cutter matches, I have fished those without the sole intention of winning, but to try something in match conditions.

davylad

I used to fish 3 matches every week, and if I went again it would be to suss out any ideas I had. They didn't always work mind, but you had to try and get one over your fellow competitors, just like most of them did I suppose.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Purely pleasure fish nowadays. I don’t miss match fishing at all tbh. That’s not to say I wouldn’t fish one in the future but I wouldn’t buy any more major items of tackle to do so eg a box.

mbuna_matt

Normally both the lad and I would fish the club match, and (assuming it was fishing at least half decent) we'd stay on from 3 to closing time to get the best of "carp o'clock" as a pleasure session. I probably enjoyed those early evenings as much or more than the matches.......... provided of course I had bragging rights ;-)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I think you all know I was a reasonably capable matchman (especially Team fishing in club league champs and Nationals) but it all got too intense for me... my physical and mental state was pulling me down to the point where matchfishing didn't allow me to chill out... so all my poles, box, nets, rods and the rest of it are sold off or in the loft and I fish with vintage gear and love it... I just fish for pleasure and the odd nugget for the biggest with my fishing buddy... if a match is your bag go for it... s'not mine any more

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Due to the limited time I spend in the country each year all my fishing revolves round the 3 or 4 matches I get to fish. I go on the river quite a few times in between them to try things out, get back into a rhythm of casting, feeding etc, but only for short sessions of c.3 hours.

When I have more time I have a list of things I am really looking forward to doing which have nothing to do with my match fishing and will be purely for old times sake - fish for crucians and tench on the float, wander up and down a couple of small rivers fishing for trout and grayling, go on a proper chub peg on the Swale etc etc

chris1967

Site Supporter
going to have to retract what i said ,if i have to stop in for another day watching recordings of emmerdale corrie or heartland one of us will be up on a man slaughter charge .Dont care its minus freeze ya balls off and i'll probably blank i'm off in 15 minutes

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can't answer the main question, as I have very, very rarely fished matches for 20 odd years bar the occasional one. I've said before though, and I'll say it again now; I hate the term 'pleasure fishing' with a passion.

Partly, it seems to suggest that match fishing is somehow better (I don't think this was ever the intention - you can see the origins of it as 'nah mate, I'm just fishing for pleasure'), but it frequently seems to imply it in how it's used now.

I don't care if you're fishing the Fishomania final, on a 5 day carping session, pike fishing in the middle of winter, spending a few hours on a club pond, trotting a float down a river or anything else. If you aren't gaining pleasure from it, sell your kit and take up golf.

BBear

Site Supporter
Used to mainly match fish in my younger days and took it very seriously but drifted out of coarse fishing. Now I’m back into it I‘ll stick to pleasure fishing though can see myself fishing odd club matches mainly for the social side of it.

mart

chris1967

Site Supporter
going to have to retract what i said ,if i have to stop in for another day watching recordings of emmerdale corrie or heartland one of us will be up on a man slaughter charge .Dont care its minus freeze ya balls off and i'll probably blank i'm off in 15 minutes
And I blanked lol. Had to smash ice nothing pleasurable about it